Post-Game Talk: Stars shut out the Jets 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
One team took advantage of its limited chances. One team did not.

And that, essentially, was the difference on Tuesday night as the Dallas Stars downed the Winnipeg Jets 2-0 at Canada Life Centre.

There otherwise wasn’t much separation, nor time and space, between a pair of Central Division rivals who entered play tied in the standings. Tight checking, clogged shooting lanes and plenty of neutral zone play was the name of the game. Not exactly edge-of-your-seat stuff, that’s for sure

In the end, timely goals from veterans Joe Pavelski and Tyler Seguin, a terrific goaltending performance from Jake Oettinger (27 save shutout) and a putrid Winnipeg power play — and that’s being kind — told the story..

“Oettinger made a lot of big saves. They blocked a lot of big shots. I thought we played pretty solid,” said Jets centre Mark Scheifele. “We gotta stick to the process. Not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows. There’s going to be stretches, games where you think you should have had a better result. Just gotta keep trucking.”

Winnipeg falls to 12-7-2, losing two straight games in regulation for the first time since mid-October. Dallas improves to 13-5-2.

Let’s delve further into this one:

1) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 1 — Winnipeg had a glorious chance to open the scoring midway through the second period as Nils Lundkvist (holding Morgan Barron) and Radek Faksa (hooking Scheifele) took penalties just 52 seconds apart. That left the Jets with 68 seconds of five-on-three.

Oettinger made a handful of high-quality stops, none greater than a stone cold robbery job on Scheifele. That’s pretty much the way it’s been going for Winnipeg with the man advantage this year, as their power play began the night clicking at just 19.4 per cent, good for 20th overall in the NHL.

“We probably needed some more one-timers out there,” was Scheifele’s assessment. “That’s something we gotta figure out. We gotta score there.”

You had a feeling a missed opportunity might come back to bite them.

2) CHOMP, CHOMP — Sure enough, the visitors rode the momentum of a successful double kill and lit the lamp just 37 seconds after Faksa had exited the box.

Dallas Stars goaltender Jake Oettinger makes a save as Winnipeg Jets' Vladislav Namestnikov looks for the rebound during the second period.

Pavelski, who appears to be aging in reverse, re-directed a Roope Hintz pass right in front of Connor Hellebuyck for his team-leading 10th goal (and 20th point) of the season.

Paveslki’s stick appeared to graze Hellebuyck’s mask just seconds earlier, and the Jets clearly thought there was enough there to use a coach’s challenge for goaltender interference.

No dice, according to the NHL control room in Toronto, which upheld the goal. It meant an automatic delay-of-game penalty for the Jets, which they managed to kill.

3) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 2 — Hard to believe, but the Jets got another 5-on-3 early in the third period when Ryan Suter (interference against Scheifele) and Faksa (tripping against Nino Niederreiter) were sent to the sin bin 1:16 apart. With 44 crucial seconds staring them in the face, Winnipeg once again failed to capitlize, looking stagnant.

“Story of the night,” said coach Rick Bowness. “It’s rare to get one. To get two like we did in a low-event, hard-checking game. There wasn’t a lot of room out there for either team, there wasn’t a lot of offense being generated. When you gets those 5-on-3s you have to capitalize, and it cost us the game.”

Sure, the Jets controlled play for much of the final frame, but a seasoned Stars team was happy to sit back and nurse the lead. And with just over three minutes remaining, Matt Duchene knocked Neal Pionk off the puck as he attempted a shot, then quickly fed it to Mason Marchment for a two-on-one rush. Marchment’s pass eluded a sliding Nate Schmidt and was buried by Seguin, essentially sticking a fork in the Jets.

“We’ve got to make them pay when we have two opportunities five-on-three. We have to bear down there and get the momentum at least on our side,” said Niederreiter. “We need to get more traffic to the net and try to make him block shots and break them down that way. Shots create chances and create opportunities. We didn’t do enough of that.”

Josh Morrissey led the Jets with six shots on goal (and 11 shot attempts), while Scheifele, Pionk and Nikolaj Ehlers had three each.

4) BIG GAME, SMALL CROWD — Attendance continues to be a concerning issue for the Jets.

Dallas Stars' Miro Heiskanen and Winnipeg Jets' Morgan Barron battle for the puck after a face-off during the second period.

Despite a key Central Division clash, Tuesday crowd count was just 11,439. That’s one of the smallest of the season and below the average of the first 10 games, which was 11,897.

It will be interesting to see if Connor McDavid (Thursday night) and Connor Bedard (Saturday afternoon) help the cause as the four-game homestand contins.

5) AN EMOTIONAL NIGHT — The annual Hockey Fights Cancer game is always a special event, and Tuesday was no exception. Five children battling various forms of the disease were honoured prior to puck drop as ambassadors and their touching stories had many in tears.

“It’s a huge night. I think it’s a disease that affects pretty much everyone, whether they’re immediate family, a friend, or someone they know so any chance that we can lend support, raise money,” said captain Adam Lowry.

“Before the game the powerful messages and extremely courageous individuals, a lot like the hospital visits, it puts a lot of things into perspective for us. There’s things bigger than hockey, there’s people fighting for their lives. It’s a nice night to honour those people and lend our support and raise some money and come together as a community.”

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff presented CancerCare Manitoba with a $125,000 cheque on behalf of the organization through various fundraising initiatives.

6) EXTRA, EXTRA — It was hoped Gabe Vilardi would return to the lineup on Tuesday, but the Jets opted to hold him out for at least one more game.

“He’s not ready, as simple as that. Skated with a new brace today, so we’ll give him (Tuesday) and (Wednesday),” said Bowness. “Everyone’s hopeful for Thursday, but we’ll decide that. He’ll be one of those game-time decisions that we love to talk about. Tuesday was exactly six weeks since Vilardi suffered a sprained MCL in just the third game of the year.

The healthy scratches against the Stars were defencemen Logan Stanley and Declan Chisholm.

Bowness broke out the line blender after the Jets fell behind in the second period. Ehlers was moved up to the top line with Scheifele and Kyle Connor, while Alex Iafallo took his spot on the second line with Vlad Namestnikov and Cole Perfetti.

Hellebuyck finished with 19 saves on 21 shots.

Winnipeg will practise on Wednesday afternoon to get ready for the Edmonton Oilers.

[email protected]

X: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Sports reporter

Last edited:

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Not sure why Nate is panicky when he gets the puck... it seems to be a recent development eg, this season.

But he does make the quick pass often without looking to see that it won't simply hit open ice.
I've noticed this too. It's like the puck is the "old hot potato" when it's on his stick. Several times yesterday in the offensive zone, the puck would come to him and without much, if any, pressuire, he'd dish it off. And, several times he'd get the puck with an open lane to the net and he'd still dish it off.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One team took advantage of its limited chances. One team did not.

And that, essentially, was the difference on Tuesday night as the Dallas Stars downed the Winnipeg Jets 2-0 at Canada Life Centre.

There otherwise wasn’t much separation, nor time and space, between a pair of Central Division rivals who entered play tied in the standings. Tight checking, clogged shooting lanes and plenty of neutral zone play was the name of the game. Not exactly edge-of-your-seat stuff, that’s for sure

In the end, timely goals from veterans Joe Pavelski and Tyler Seguin, a terrific goaltending performance from Jake Oettinger (27 save shutout) and a putrid Winnipeg power play — and that’s being kind — told the story..

“Oettinger made a lot of big saves. They blocked a lot of big shots. I thought we played pretty solid,” said Jets centre Mark Scheifele. “We gotta stick to the process. Not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows. There’s going to be stretches, games where you think you should have had a better result. Just gotta keep trucking.”

Winnipeg falls to 12-7-2, losing two straight games in regulation for the first time since mid-October. Dallas improves to 13-5-2.

Let’s delve further into this one:

1) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 1 — Winnipeg had a glorious chance to open the scoring midway through the second period as Nils Lundkvist (holding Morgan Barron) and Radek Faksa (hooking Scheifele) took penalties just 52 seconds apart. That left the Jets with 68 seconds of five-on-three.

Oettinger made a handful of high-quality stops, none greater than a stone cold robbery job on Scheifele. That’s pretty much the way it’s been going for Winnipeg with the man advantage this year, as their power play began the night clicking at just 19.4 per cent, good for 20th overall in the NHL.

“We probably needed some more one-timers out there,” was Scheifele’s assessment. “That’s something we gotta figure out. We gotta score there.”

You had a feeling a missed opportunity might come back to bite them.

2) CHOMP, CHOMP — Sure enough, the visitors rode the momentum of a successful double kill and lit the lamp just 37 seconds after Faksa had exited the box.

Dallas Stars goaltender Jake Oettinger makes a save as Winnipeg Jets' Vladislav Namestnikov looks for the rebound during the second period.

Pavelski, who appears to be aging in reverse, re-directed a Roope Hintz pass right in front of Connor Hellebuyck for his team-leading 10th goal (and 20th point) of the season.

Paveslki’s stick appeared to graze Hellebuyck’s mask just seconds earlier, and the Jets clearly thought there was enough there to use a coach’s challenge for goaltender interference.

No dice, according to the NHL control room in Toronto, which upheld the goal. It meant an automatic delay-of-game penalty for the Jets, which they managed to kill.

3) GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY NO. 2 — Hard to believe, but the Jets got another 5-on-3 early in the third period when Ryan Suter (interference against Scheifele) and Faksa (tripping against Nino Niederreiter) were sent to the sin bin 1:16 apart. With 44 crucial seconds staring them in the face, Winnipeg once again failed to capitlize, looking stagnant.

“Story of the night,” said coach Rick Bowness. “It’s rare to get one. To get two like we did in a low-event, hard-checking game. There wasn’t a lot of room out there for either team, there wasn’t a lot of offense being generated. When you gets those 5-on-3s you have to capitalize, and it cost us the game.”

Sure, the Jets controlled play for much of the final frame, but a seasoned Stars team was happy to sit back and nurse the lead. And with just over three minutes remaining, Matt Duchene knocked Neal Pionk off the puck as he attempted a shot, then quickly fed it to Mason Marchment for a two-on-one rush. Marchment’s pass eluded a sliding Nate Schmidt and was buried by Seguin, essentially sticking a fork in the Jets.

“We’ve got to make them pay when we have two opportunities five-on-three. We have to bear down there and get the momentum at least on our side,” said Niederreiter. “We need to get more traffic to the net and try to make him block shots and break them down that way. Shots create chances and create opportunities. We didn’t do enough of that.”

Josh Morrissey led the Jets with six shots on goal (and 11 shot attempts), while Scheifele, Pionk and Nikolaj Ehlers had three each.

4) BIG GAME, SMALL CROWD — Attendance continues to be a concerning issue for the Jets.

Dallas Stars' Miro Heiskanen and Winnipeg Jets' Morgan Barron battle for the puck after a face-off during the second period.

Despite a key Central Division clash, Tuesday crowd count was just 11,439. That’s one of the smallest of the season and below the average of the first 10 games, which was 11,897.

It will be interesting to see if Connor McDavid (Thursday night) and Connor Bedard (Saturday afternoon) help the cause as the four-game homestand contins.

5) AN EMOTIONAL NIGHT — The annual Hockey Fights Cancer game is always a special event, and Tuesday was no exception. Five children battling various forms of the disease were honoured prior to puck drop as ambassadors and their touching stories had many in tears.

“It’s a huge night. I think it’s a disease that affects pretty much everyone, whether they’re immediate family, a friend, or someone they know so any chance that we can lend support, raise money,” said captain Adam Lowry.

“Before the game the powerful messages and extremely courageous individuals, a lot like the hospital visits, it puts a lot of things into perspective for us. There’s things bigger than hockey, there’s people fighting for their lives. It’s a nice night to honour those people and lend our support and raise some money and come together as a community.”

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff presented CancerCare Manitoba with a $125,000 cheque on behalf of the organization through various fundraising initiatives.

6) EXTRA, EXTRA — It was hoped Gabe Vilardi would return to the lineup on Tuesday, but the Jets opted to hold him out for at least one more game.

“He’s not ready, as simple as that. Skated with a new brace today, so we’ll give him (Tuesday) and (Wednesday),” said Bowness. “Everyone’s hopeful for Thursday, but we’ll decide that. He’ll be one of those game-time decisions that we love to talk about. Tuesday was exactly six weeks since Vilardi suffered a sprained MCL in just the third game of the year.

The healthy scratches against the Stars were defencemen Logan Stanley and Declan Chisholm.

Bowness broke out the line blender after the Jets fell behind in the second period. Ehlers was moved up to the top line with Scheifele and Kyle Connor, while Alex Iafallo took his spot on the second line with Vlad Namestnikov and Cole Perfetti.

Hellebuyck finished with 19 saves on 21 shots.

Winnipeg will practise on Wednesday afternoon to get ready for the Edmonton Oilers.

[email protected]

X: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Sports reporter
Very nice summary.With how slow i type tomorrow's game would be over and i would have to do this all over again.:laugh:

Reactions: GNP

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
O

Especially given Cole is the hottest player on the pp right now. Maybe they want him to control his own unit. But they don't have triggerman for him to play with. Ehlers is also redundant on unit one as him and Mark want the same role.
I may be wrong but the team was practicing 5 on 3 today and not regular PP. I think you may see for pp tomorrow:

Vilardi
Scheif Perfett Connor
Morrisey

Nino
Ehlers Vladdy. Schmidt
Pionk

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I may be wrong but the team was practicing 5 on 3 today and not regular PP. I think you may see for pp tomorrow:

Vilardi
Scheif Perfett Connor
Morrisey

Nino
Ehlers Vladdy. Schmidt
Pionk
Even 5 on 3 why take out the team’s best passer.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder if the are looking at Ehlers to help with zone entries and chasing down loose pucks with his speed?
Zone entries have to be pretty easy 5 on 3 no? I mean you’d think the pk team is playing passive and just trying to keep puck on outside.

Reactions: surixon

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Even 5 on 3 why take out the team’s best passer.
Agreed, but why play him on avg 14:15 a night when he is tied for second in goals, 3rd in assists, tops in pp goals, tops in points per 60 and on and on the stats go…….Maybe one day he will graduate and be given what he has earned.

What is weird is that Vilardi has done nothing in his past to warrant just being given the keys to the first line, first pp etc…..I know he is a good player and the focal point of the Dubois trade but hasn’t earned anything yet and is just being given everything.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, but why play him on avg 14:15 a night when he is tied for second in goals, 3rd in assists, tops in pp goals, tops in points per 60 and on and on the stats go…….Maybe one day he will graduate and be given what he has earned.

What is weird is that Vilardi has done nothing in his past to warrant just being given the keys to the first line, first pp etc…..I know he is a good player and the focal point of the Dubois trade but hasn’t earned anything yet and is just being given everything.
I think he gets to carry over what he earned in LA. He had 23 goals and a bit of a breakout season and that is why he was the main piece in the PLD trade.

Reactions: Jets 31

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think he gets to carry over what he earned in LA. He had 23 goals and a bit of a breakout season and that is why he was the main piece in the PLD trade.
Fair point I guess, but what he is carrying over is a career high of 41 points and while 23 goals is good, it’s not exactly some amazing feat that guarantees first line everything. Cole has proven to be more productive over his career than Villardi ever has in his and Cole is 3 years younger and homegrown.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Fair point I guess, but what he is carrying over is a career high of 41 points and while 23 goals is good, it’s not exactly some amazing feat that guarantees first line everything. Cole has proven to be more productive over his career than Villardi ever has in his and Cole is 3 years younger and homegrown.
I think vilardi or some other big body is needed on the pp. otherwise 4 perimeter players

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Vilardi and Perfetti aren't competing for the same spot on the PP... Vilardi is playing the net front role which Perfetti does not play. He is replacing Iafallo on that unit. He has great hands in tight, look how many of his goals last season are him using his hands in tight or tipping a puck right in front of the goalie's grill... something this PP desperately needs which has been too dependent on Connor or Morrissey blasting away.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think vilardi or some other big body is needed on the pp. otherwise 4 perimeter players
I think Villardi is a good big body to have as net front in pp. I was more thinking about automatic first line minutes, 6 on 5 and 5 on 3 time etc. Nothing in his history says he should be gifted those opportunities any more than Cole considering his career high as 25 year old is 41 points.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That game was rather boring for most of it to me. Just not much going on for much it. How many times did we settle the puck before a shot in close? Outside of whatever they want to call that man advantage crap, it was a very close game on ice.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille