Post-Game Talk: Stars shut out the Jets 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I struggle with calling that a well played game -
2nd night were we are slow out of the gate, fall behind, and then play a good third while chasing the game.
I'm not on the ledge or anything - but we need more effort at game start or we're going to be in the losing column more often than not.
I don't even want to get into the PP tonight - we're supposed to be a 5v5 team anyway.
Just don't like our last couple of starts.

On to the next one - I'll be looking for a sense of urgency in the first that matches what we bring in the 3rd

Dallas is a top team so I expect there to be periods of the game where they have more momentum. It so happened it was more at the beginning of the game tonight.

Also we had a red hot start last game, couldn't score and then we sagged the back of the 1st and much of the second. So nothing wrong with our start against the Preds imo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Either the pp coach sucks or the players on the pp sucks, maybe it's both but perimeter passes and no one in front of the net wont amount to much.

We need a completely different setup. The only time we look dangerous and score of late is when Perfetti leaves the bumper and we are forced into a different configuration as other players have to rotate to accommodate the switch.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
giphy.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Good game. Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers almost made magic happen multiple times. I don't want them as a regular line but when we need a goal it's a great way to load up. Perfetti created 3 or 4 grade A opportunities by himself. Unfortunately he put Pionk in a bad position on the 2-0 goal. 3rd line seems to be coming back down to earth, they're trying too many low percentage plays, stick to the meat and potatoes game that you're good at.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Oilers starting to heat up too.

I suppose our season turned around once we beat them earlier this year, hopefully we can replicate that on Thursday, otherwise the L’s will start to pile up

I don’t think we outplayed Dallas tonight, despite the better second and third periods
they played a great road game and were defensively sound. Despite the push from ourselves and good checking at times I felt we couldn’t deliver high quality shots or connect (sloppy play)
Dallas could have potted a few more goals if we didn’t have some puck luck our way
Our PK has had improvement but the PP being weak continues to be a story and was frustrating to watch tonight
Our chances were either not connecting or blocked by Dallas

On the plus side, 55, 91, 37 were all very good. I liked 62, 9 and 7 as well. Helle was sharp and protected the side of the net well. Scheif was beasting. Iafallo and Nino with smart defensive plays. Pionk with the oopsie at the end but he was otherwise good.

It feels like it’s just me but these two games vs Dallas have been frustrating for me. Credit to them they regrouped well after a stinker vs the flames. Ok “embarrassed” is an over reaction (what hockey fights cancer night not get anyone else a bit emotional??) but there was a fair bit to not like about this game

I hope there are minimal excuses for our power play because, it’s bad. I hope the solution doesn’t boil down simply to Vilardi coming back

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Prior to this game, over the previous 10 games, the Jets had the 4th best powerplay in the league. I know that's a lot of qualifiers but they've been producing really well on the power play. They created plenty of chances tonight, sucks none of them went in.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Dallas is a top team so I expect there to be periods of the game where they have more momentum. It so happened it was more at the beginning of the game tonight.

Also we had a red hot start last game, couldn't score and then we sagged the back of the 1st and much of the second. So nothing wrong with our start against the Preds imo.
We had next to zero drive in the first - I couldn't care less about what Dallas brought in the first - more about the fact that we brought very little - and on home ice to boot. I'm not OK with that - we need to be better prepared going into games where we are playing our top competition in the central.
I'm not seeing that right now -
Like I said, I'm not going to lose sleep over it -

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good game. Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers almost made magic happen multiple times. I don't want them as a regular line but when we need a goal it's a great way to load up. Perfetti created 3 or 4 grade A opportunities by himself. Unfortunately he put Pionk in a bad position on the 2-0 goal. 3rd line seems to be coming back down to earth, they're trying too many low percentage plays, stick to the meat and potatoes game that you're good at.

I dunno. Pionk could have chosen any number of things to do but elected to try to deek the guy. I don't put any of that on Cole.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I dunno. Pionk could have chosen any number of things to do but elected to try to deck the guy. I don't put any of that on Cole.
Re-watching it, agreed 100%. Nothing wrong with what Perfetti did at all, seems like Pionk flubbed it and panicked.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Disagree. I think the Jets were the better team tonight. Sometimes the better team loses. C'est la vie.
I dunno. I don’t see how we were the better team tonight.
Dallas outplayed us / set the tone in the first
Outplayed us defensively most of the game (not a lot of high quality chances were generated by us)
They played a good road game
They also had some bad puck luck themselves
We had some good players. There was effort there. But the better team?

We also couldn’t convert on special teams - something that doesn’t translate to being the better team tonight imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad