Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Pretty good article by BBC on the game's controversies. Star Wars game faces further backlash

They didn't go into the numbers for the absolutely insane amount of time/money required to obtain things in multiplayer. But they did touch on the pay to win system and gambling.

The sad thing is nothing will change. EA has controlled the narrative so well that hardly anyone is arguing against the core problem. They set delusional initial prices so that they could slash them by 75% to say look at how well we are listening. People are still arguing about the monetary/time cost and asking for changes when the real issue is that lootboxes and star cards should not exist in the first place. Absolutely nothing about how they work are fun and those defending the system just state that they will tolerate it. Compare how this 'progression' system works to the original Modern Warfare and it's just incredibly sad that gaming is in the state it is in right now.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This is EXACTLY the problem with people who haven't even played the game and are going off of old whiny youtube video's or articles. They changed the prices of the hero's and you get progress unlocks and crates for performing certain actions or advancements.
Did you intentionally ignore the part where XX said they played both the beta and the trial? They’ve played the game, too, so they know what’s going on here. Since you seem to be so dismissive of my opinions on the matter because I haven’t played the game, you should be accepting of what XX has to say.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yup. Took me about an hour and 15 mins to get 25,000 credits.

It's not impossible at all. YOU HAVENT PLAYED THE GAME. I have and I really could care less if you believe me. You are just like the others who want to hate something so bad that you won't listen to someone who has actually played the game. You just have an agenda.

It is absolutely possible to earn that amount of credits in that amount of time with earning the in game-game rewards.

Again, I could care less if you believe me. You can just keep blindly hating because apparently that's what you want to do. I will continue to have fun with Battlefront II and playing the best looking Star Wars game to date. It's really fun!

lmao.

We've played the same exact thing. You're just mad because you cornered yourself. The current gain rate is around 1800-2000 credits per hour, and that's if you are absolutely grinding away at Galactic Assault. It is impossible to pull 25k+ worth of credits out of an hour and 15 minutes. Like, I'm almost impressed by how bold a lie that is. Do you really think anyone believes that ? No, which is why you double down with "I don't care if you don't believe me" and continuing to claim that I haven't played the game. Spoiler alert: I have, and that's how I know you are lying in an effort downplay how gross the system is.

Stick with the "I'm having fun" argument because everything else you present is patently false.

Reactions: Dick Sledge

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
lmao.

We've played the same exact thing. You're just mad because you cornered yourself. The current gain rate is around 1800-2000 credits per hour, and that's it you are absolutely grinding away at Galactic Assault. It is impossible to pull 25k+ worth of credits out of an hour and 15 minutes. Like, I'm almost impressed by how bold a lie that is. Do you really think anyone believes that ? No, which is why you double down with "I don't care if you don't believe me" and continuing to claim that I haven't played the game. Spoiler alert: I have, and that's how I know you are lying in an effort downplay how gross the system is.

Stick with the "I'm having fun" argument because everything else you present is patently false.
I have Vader, Leia, some star cards and scrap. I still have "less than 8 hours" on my trial. I have spent $0 on anything but the base game ($53.99 with EA Access) and have nothing to prove to you. I and all my friends online have done the same thing. You can 'lmao' all you want and be hater. I am having fun, I could care less if that upsets you. Keep playing internet hero kid. I know many people who have done the same thing I have. :)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
So I have a question that I can't seem to get an answer to. It seems loot boxes are universally hated by all. It seems every single person on the internet would never purchase one. I never would either. That said these companies seem to make a **** done of money off of these things. My question is: Who are the people who spend money on this stuff?

These type of systems prey on people with addictive personalities. The majority of the money comes from less than 1% of the user base. These people (whales) spend thousands of dollars on the game. And no, these are not extremely rich people, studies show that these are typically poor people. They are addicts that can't stop. It's similar to taking advantage of an alcoholic. If your interested, look up studies on freemium/F2P games. Battlefront II is modeled after them

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have Vader, Leia, some star cards and scrap. I still have "less than 8 hours" on my trial. I have spent $0 on anything but the base game ($53.99 with EA Access) and have nothing to prove to you. I and all my friends online have done the same thing. You can 'lmao' all you want and be hater. I am having fun, I could care less if that upsets you. Keep playing internet hero kid. I know many people who have done the same thing I have. :)

giphy.webp

I'm just having fun with all of this now. If you were self aware enough to say something more nebulous like "I got everything I felt I needed during the trial, the crates don't bother me", that would be harder to disprove as an argument. But instead you went straight for the completely impossible by arguing you somehow pulled down over 25k credits in an hour and fifteen minutes. That's 20-25x the observed gain rate, depending on who you ask and if you're factoring in downtime. It didn't happen.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
These type of systems prey on people with addictive personalities. The majority of the money comes from less than 1% of the user base. These people (whales) spend thousands of dollars on the game. And no, these are not extremely rich people, studies show that these are typically poor people. They are addicts that can't stop. It's similar to taking advantage of an alcoholic. If your interested, look up studies on freemium/F2P games. Battlefront II is modeled after them

Just as an example, my one friend absolutely f***ing loves anything Final Fantasy. He has probably spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on Brave Exvius on Android. So yes, they very much target addictive personalities. And it's extremely dangerous and exploitative.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Got any sources there? Lots of claims here. I have friends in real life and ones I have met online that have spent a few dollars here are there on crates. They aren't poor or addicts and it's definitely more than 1% of the gamers I personally know.

Where is your source that its less than 1% of a games user base?
What is your source that its poor people that are addicts? You said "studies", can you link them please? Sounds like a stereotype.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm just having fun with all of this now..
Me too! You want to call me a liar for something I know is true. You are some clown on the internet that I don't know or have to prove anything to. :)

But at the end of the day, I will go home and play Battlefront II and take a couple more hours off my trial and probably unlock a few more hero's. Because you get credits for hitting certain milestones. There are a lot of them for the Hero's so playing Hero's vs Villains is a good way to do this. Something you probably didn't know because you have never played the game. If you have, you would have known that.

And you will still be here crying and complaining on the internet and acting like it's not possible. Haha!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
giphy.webp

I'm just having fun with all of this now. If you were self aware enough to say something more nebulous like "I got everything I felt I needed during the trial, the crates don't bother me", that would be harder to disprove as an argument. But instead you went straight for the completely impossible by arguing you somehow pulled down over 25k credits in an hour and fifteen minutes. That's 20-25x the observed gain rate, depending on who you ask and if you're factoring in downtime. It didn't happen.

Its so weird that someone would troll like that just for the sake of defending a billion dollar corporation.

But then people will troll on the internet for any tiny reason....

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Got any sources there? Lots of claims here. I have friends in real life and ones I have met online that have spent a few dollars here are there on crates. They aren't poor or addicts and it's definitely more than 1% of the gamers I personally know.

Where is your source that its less than 1% of a games user base?
What is your source that its poor people that are addicts? You said "studies", can you link them please? Sounds like a stereotype.

Seriously, are you just here to argue with absolutely everyone. I don't care who you know and that is completely irrelevant. There are so many studies out there that a simple google search will bring up plenty of results. Here is one from Forbes. But continue to spat out fake news with every single thing that I link. You remind me of someone, not sure who though...

Why It's Scary When 0.15% Mobile Gamers Bring In 50% Of The Revenue

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I heard that while they lowered the cost of loot boxes by 75% they also lowered the odds of winning anything valuable by 75%. Any truth to that?

Reactions: Emperoreddy

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Seriously, are you just here to argue with absolutely everyone. I don't care who you know and that is completely irrelevant. There are so many studies out there that a simple google search will bring up plenty of results. Here is one from Forbes. But continue to spat out fake news with every single thing that I link. You remind me of someone, not sure who though...

Why It's Scary When 0.15% Mobile Gamers Bring In 50% Of The Revenue
All I did was ask for a source because it didn't sound like what you were saying was legit.

That entire article is about mobile / casual games and says nothing about it being poor people who are addicted to loot boxes.

So... next?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I heard that while they lowered the cost of loot boxes by 75% they also lowered the odds of winning anything valuable by 75%. Any truth to that?
Nope.

But I am hated here because I am apparently some magical being that can unlock 2 hero's in under 1.5 hours of playing Hero's vs. Villains.

So don't believe what I say.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They lowered the payout of the campaign from 20k to 5k, that much has been confirmed. The lootbox odds are opaque, they have only been guessed at, and EA can change them at any time without anyone really knowing. Given how I watched AngryJoe pull 5 commons out of boxes and fail to get many good cards on his stream, while Xfactor got some decent results before the hero price nerf hit, it seems very likely that they nerfed the payouts.

Nope.

But I am hated here because I am apparently some magical being that can unlock 2 hero's in under 1.5 hours of playing Hero's vs. Villains.

So don't believe what I say.

Do me a favor and really push yourself your next 1.5 hours and get Palpatine, Chewie, and Luke. Live that 60k credit dream.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
All I did was ask for a source because it didn't sound like what you were saying was legit.

That entire article is about mobile / casual games and says nothing about it being poor people who are addicted to loot boxes.

So... next?

LOL. Just keep on trolling. So the article is about what I said it was about? And the article explicitly stated that it is normal people with addictive personalities. Exactly what I was saying. It's a study I found in 10 seconds of googling and the first article I clicked on. If you want more go look for yourself. I'm not going to just spam dozens of articles/studies

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
LOL. Just keep on trolling. So the article is about what I said it was about? And the article explicitly stated that it is normal people with addictive personalities. Exactly what I was saying. It's a study I found in 10 seconds of googling and the first article I clicked on. If you want more go look for yourself. I'm not going to just spam dozens of articles/studies
It says nothing about poor people who are addicted or 1% being the people buying loot crates in games like this or other non-mobile non-casual games. The mobile gaming market is a completely different eco-system.

It says nothing about what you were talking about. I cannot find anything about what you are talking about which is why I asked. Probably because what you are saying is not true.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Do me a favor and really push yourself your next 1.5 hours and get Palpatine, Chewie, and Luke. Live that 60k credit dream.

Probably can't get 60k. But with the milestones you can reach (that have payouts) with the hero's in Hero's vs Villains I have no doubt I will be able to unlock at least a couple more hero's before release. Thanks!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It says nothing about poor people who are addicted or 1% being the people buying loot crates in games like this or other non-mobile non-casual games. The mobile gaming market is a completely different eco-system.

It says nothing about what you were talking about. I cannot find anything about what you are talking about which is why I asked. Probably because what you are saying is not true.

How can you be so delusional? I said the game was modeled after freemium/free to play practices and then explained what those are and then provided an article with a link to a study on data backing up my claims.

Your right, there is no study done so far on purchasing practices in a full price AAA game where players can pay for progression and competitive advantages. Why? Because Battlefront II is the first of its kind. I'm done explaining anything. You've won Mr. President. The unyielding claims of fake and false with nothing to back them up has broken my spirit. Congratulations.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Was Ultimate Team the first game mode to allow this "pay to play" stuff? I'm trying to think back to the first time I did it

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I never thought Ultimate Team was that egregious, but then again I enjoyed playing with the middling players that I liked, and didn't really care about getting Gretzky or Lemieux since you could make up a competitive team without them (only would take a couple hours to get enough coins/rupees/something to buy a card in an auction, and a lot of them were pretty affordable for a high 80s player).

Then again this was back in the 360 days when it was in its infancy and they weren't necessarily gouging the customer the way they do now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Was Ultimate Team the first game mode to allow this "pay to play" stuff? I'm trying to think back to the first time I did it

It's pretty much the nature of any collectible card game to be honest.

Why we need CCGs inside of every game now, I don't understand.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's pretty much the nature of any collectible card game to be honest.

Why we need CCGs inside of every game now, I don't understand.
Ahh the days of MTG... Spent a lot of time and money on that game and I agree, its definitely relatable. Just something about having to pay for digital content that I cannot get past and won't do for card games. Heck even the official MTG online game was really fun but the prices of the cards were almost the same as they were in real life. It was nutty.

Then they got into the whole Duels of the Planeswalkers and now I think its just Magic Duels where you can pay real money for booster packs like in real life and build your decks... its some weird in-between of the real game and the official MTG online.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sad to see some people buy EA's damage control; like the adjustments to prices are somehow out of good will, or something.

Companies aren't your friends. They thought they could exploit people with this more than they were able to, and when that failed they resorted to exploiting you less under the guise of doing you a favor. Any degree of exploitation is still exploitation. A shame that some of the market isn't smart enough to realize it.

At the same time, it's hard to expect anything less from Star Wars fans at this point. Few fan bases have proven themselves more willing to just line up and take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad