Series Talk: Stanley Cup Final VGK (West) vs Capitals (East)

Who wins the Stanley Cup, in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Explain to me why you rather face a team that dominated the team you apparently were more scared of?? Not very sound logic..

Mr Capitals fan: It's a matter of matchups. Since the Knights were 2-0 against both teams in the regular season, it then becomes individual matchups that are important. The Bolts roster seems a lot more formidable and quick than the Caps. (This, of course, could explain the Bolts' better regular season performance than the Capitals'.) For whatever reason, the Bolts collapsed in the last two games of the ECF.

Most prefer to have home ice advantage; therefore, the Capitals would be a better choice. Many fans also feel that the Knights would have had a more difficult time matching up with a fast team (like the Bolts or Sharks) than a slower lumbering team (like the Caps or Kings).

Reactions: Sk8M8

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Mr Capitals fan: It's a matter of matchups. Since the Knights were 2-0 against both teams in the regular season, it then becomes individual matchups that are important. The Bolts roster seems a lot more formidable and quick than the Caps. (This, of course, could explain the Bolts' better regular season performance than the Capitals'.) For whatever reason, the Bolts collapsed in the last two games of the ECF.

Most prefer to have home ice advantage; therefore, the Capitals would be a better choice. Many fans also feel that the Knights would have had a more difficult time matching up with a fast team (like the Bolts or Sharks) than a slower lumbering team (like the Caps or Kings).

I can understand the home ice advantage part of your argument but the part about they are "alot more formidable and quick than the Caps" is hogwash because if they were they wouldn't be setting up tee times.. I also hate the argument of "for whatever reason, the Bolts collapsed in the last 2 games of the ECF". I have a very good reason, the Caps were the better team throughout the series and dictated play to Tampa Bay, especially 5x5.. It always seems to be about the the losing team being at fault because they lost rather than giving credit where credit is due..

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Why do we have a Caps fan lecturing us about his own team in our forum?
It's my intention to let them hang around until they get stupid. You're more than welcome to argue, know the cards are stacked on your side as far as moderation is concerned, though.

If you guys don't want outsiders here, I suppose we could start messing with them, it goes against everything we've done thus far this season, though.

You guys call the shots.

Reactions: hangman005

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Explain to me why you rather face a team that dominated the team you apparently were more scared of?? Not very sound logic..

Dominated is what we did to the Jets by winning in 5 or what we did to the Kings in 4 or the Sharks in 6. Dominating isn't having to go to a game 7. Whatever game you think the Caps can do to us, we have seen it before and won. VGK can win a physical game, a fast game, and a fast & physical game. Holtby will have to be outstanding for the whole series for the Caps to stand a chance. You better hope that your Caps don't turn it over all game long like the last 2 times we faced you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluesman91

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
It's my intention to let them hang around until they get stupid. You're more than welcome to argue, know the cards are stacked on your side as far as moderation is concerned, though.

If you guys don't want outsiders here, I suppose we could start messing with them, it goes against everything we've done thus far this season, though.

You guys call the shots.

We aren't snowflakes so we can take opposing views.

As a longstanding Pens fan, I look at the Caps more with pity than I do with anger (or respect). (I will admit, however, that Caps D-man Rod Langway was one of my favorite players during the 80s.)

If the Caps lose (which I really expect), Caps nation will be forever devastated ... and Trotz will be fired. (I am surprised that management hasn't offered Trotz a contract, yet. Then again, I expect him to be coach of Seattle in a couple years.) :laugh:

Last edited:

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
No idea where you're getting your goals-against numbers, but they're wrong.

Holtby has played in 6 Caps losses this postseason, and has let in 16 goals (2.67 goals/game)
Holtby has played in 12 Caps wins this postseason, and has let in 21 goals (1.75 goals/game)

That's a difference of 0.92 goals/game, not the 1.95 you claimed.

I forgot that Holtby did not play in the first 2 games of Round 1 (losses with 9 goals scored); there's the difference.

GPG @ 1.75 was right for the 12 wins.

I see him as the starter in only 5 games in which he let in 15 for 3.00 goals/game. Where do you get that 6th loss?

If not a full game it doesn't seem right to count it that way.

I do appreciate your points, though.

Seems like we were both wrong!

]

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Hoping for a fast played, hard fought and loud series! No pressure on the guys, they can just go out there, play their game and enjoy the spotlight!

Reactions: ChanceVegas

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Warning:

Wilson and the Caps will try to "play heavy" to get the Knights off their game.

After Wilson ran over the Pens Aston-Reese and broke his jaw during the playoffs, the Pens never recovered. They lost the series in six.

Read this GT thread about the incident
(starting at post # 738):

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...edition-may-1-2018-7-30pm-est.2485575/page-32

Reading the thread, one can see the Pens regretted losing Reaves. Deterrence is still important, especially for skilled team like the Knights (or the Pens) that emphasize speed over thuggery.
I am guessing you didn't watch the Pens / Caps series - Aston Reese wasn't exactly a crucial part of the roster, so to say that the Pens "never recovered" after losing him is just wrong. Wilson's hit was bad and he deserved a suspension. He is going to cause
problems for Vegas but I think it's safe to say he and Reaves are going to have some major battles and a fight (or more than one) is inevitable.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Vegas has just been amazing all season long.
Leafs fan here. I got mixed feelings going into this one.
On one hand I want to see OV win his 1st cup
On another I wanna see Vegas win it, also win me alot of money
Only thing I dont like. Iv been a hockey fan all my life and havnt seen my team do squat all my life.
Now a bunch of new hockey fans in vegas try watching hockey for the 1st time and they win the cup.
But put that aside, Vegas in . if Holtby plays like he has in his last 2 games. Vegas in 7

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I am guessing you didn't watch the Pens / Caps series -

Too funny. Having followed the Pens closely since the Pre-Mario days, I hope you weren't guessing too much. :laugh:

I am guessing you didn't watch the Pens / Caps series - Aston Reese wasn't exactly a crucial part of the roster, so to say that the Pens "never recovered" after losing him is just wrong. Wilson's hit was bad and he deserved a suspension. He is going to cause
problems for Vegas but I think it's safe to say he and Reaves are going to have some major battles and a fight (or more than one) is inevitable.

The acquisition and subsequent trade of Reaves were extremely controversial in Pittsburgh. The failure of the Pens to advance in the playoffs was complex and manifold: lapses by goalie Murray, the absence of a dependable backup in MAF, extended seasons for playoffs and World Cup hockey, failure of Kessel to produce, Letang's and the defense's poor showing, unpublished injuries to key players, Brassard's underperformance, etc.

Reaves was an important leader in the Penguins locker room. He (and to a lesser extent Kunitz) gave the Pens the necessary grit and courage to confront "heavy" opponents. Oleksiak is more than capable of holding his own, but he doesn't inspire his teammates like Reaves does. With Reaves, the Pens superstars Sid/Geno/Phil were left relatively unscathed in the regular season compared to prior years.

I was initially against the Reaves trade. I don't want to accept the reality of the need for "physicality." That said, Coach G has worked Reaves into the lineup. Reaves is now playing a more disciplined and skilled game, as well as his usual physical game. Reaves is also going to remind the Caps that the Knights aren't just undersized speedsters.

I am guessing you didn't watch the Pens / Caps series

Yep, maybe I should be watching more Penguins hockey. Unfortunately, there will be no more Pens hockey till next season.

GGFofferCERT.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad