Series Talk: Stanley Cup Final VGK (West) vs Capitals (East)

Who wins the Stanley Cup, in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Warning:

Wilson and the Caps will try to "play heavy" to get the Knights off their game.

After Wilson ran over the Pens Aston-Reese and broke his jaw during the playoffs, the Pens never recovered. They lost the series in six.

Read this GT thread about the incident
(starting at post # 738):

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...edition-may-1-2018-7-30pm-est.2485575/page-32

Reading the thread, one can see the Pens regretted losing Reaves. Deterrence is still important, especially for skilled team like the Knights (or the Pens) that emphasize speed over thuggery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChanceVegas

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Hangman so sorry to hear about your cat. The Caps will be tough. Agree that if Vegas limits there space they should win the series. Jets series should have them prepared.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Warning:

Wilson and the Caps will try to "play heavy" to get the Knights off their game.

After Wilson ran over the Pens Aston-Reese and broke his jaw during the playoffs, the Pens never recovered. They lost the series in six.

Wilson is the wildcard that worries me a bit. He could do something to get himself suspended, but there's always the possibility he takes out a key player in the process.

Oshie looks banged up & Backstrom's not been himself, but we'll need to contain Burakovsky's & Vrana's speed. Other than the first line, those are the guys who will need to make a difference if the Caps want to win.
^^^
This man knows what's up.

Ovechkin's talents are obvious. Kuznetzov...dangerous. Is Backstrom playing through injury? Does he get time to heal?

Personally I think the biggest wildcard might be which Holtby do we see?
I did some checking and in their 7 losses (7!) during the playoffs, he let in 3.7gpg.

In their 12 wins, 1.75 gpg.

Tale of 2 Holtbys!

thanks for sharing that!

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Got one of the last seats at practice. Walked over to wait to get into store when they started windsprints. Was in line 20ish minutes to get into store. Then another 20+ minute line to pay.

Asked about SCF series pin. Should be in by Saturday.

So... Fleury grabbed at his hamstring a few times, instinctually, after going down on a play in SCF Game 5. Did he look his usual self? Hoping that if it was anything he has time to recover fully.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Well it pains me to do this again... but it would be nice if the Golden Knights could win 4 games for my little kitten who lost an eye a few weeks ago, and the vet thinks he may have developed brain lesions possibly from an infection as a result of the surgery, and he could barely stand, had zero balance, walked like a drunk and today we had to put him to sleep as he wasn’t going to have any quality of life.

Has not been a good year for us with cats, but each time something bad happens the Golden Knights respond by kicking ass... hopefully this can continue.

I'm a dog guy, but still a pet is a pet and sometimes the best thing to do is to get another pet right away even if you feel guilty about getting another one right away.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Wilson is the wildcard that worries me a bit. He could do something to get himself suspended, but there's always the possibility he takes out a key player in the process.

^^^

Ovechkin's talents are obvious. Kuznetzov...dangerous. Is Backstrom playing through injury? Does he get time to heal?

I did some checking and in their 7 losses (7!) during the playoffs, he let in 3.7gpg.

Tale of 2 Holtbys!

thanks for sharing that!

Backstrom's hand is still bothering him. Watch the the handshake line and you can tell that it hurts.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hey there,

Just want to say that I love the Golden Knights and was one of the few people who said they wouldn't be a bad team in their first year. Didn't expect to see them get this far but they have rightfully proved everyone wrong and you guys are definitely championship material. This was the best case scenario for me. In case the Caps don't win, Vegas was the team I wanted to see hoist the Cup. It's objectively the best thing for the game of hockey and the city of Vegas.

Cheers guys.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

^^^

Tale of 2 Holtbys!

thanks for sharing that!
Holtby didn't start the first two games of the playoffs, he only started in 5 losses.

Reactions: artificialintuition

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016

This is the part of hockey I despise, but I'm not a Utopianist. It will be good to know that Reaves can handle Wilson, if necessary.

Coach G might match first line against first line (like he did against Winnipeg). In that case, Wilson (6'4" 218 lbs) will match against Marchy (5'9" 174 lbs). I expect Wilson will revert to his usual thuggery, especially if the Caps are desperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChanceVegas

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

Tale of 2 Holtbys!
No idea where you're getting your goals-against numbers, but they're wrong.

Holtby has played in 6 Caps losses this postseason, and has let in 16 goals (2.67 goals/game)
Holtby has played in 12 Caps wins this postseason, and has let in 21 goals (1.75 goals/game)

That's a difference of 0.92 goals/game, not the 1.95 you claimed.

For comparison:
Fleury has played in 3 Vegas losses this postseason, and has let in 12 goals (4.00 goals/game)
Fleury has played in 12 Vegas wins this postseason, and has let in 15 goals (1.25 goals/game)

That's a difference of 2.75 goals/game.

Seems more like a tale of two Fleurys to me.

Last edited:

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Good to see Willy is already in your heads ;)

But in all seriousness I’ve been saying all along that if the caps don’t win I’d want you guys to because of Nate Schmidt. Should be a great series. You guys have a lot of speed, but Caps have shown they can handle speedy teams. I haven’t watched too many of your games, so what would say your team’s strength and weaknesses are?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Good to see Willy is already in your heads ;)

But in all seriousness I’ve been saying all along that if the caps don’t win I’d want you guys to because of Nate Schmidt. Should be a great series. You guys have a lot of speed, but Caps have shown they can handle speedy teams. I haven’t watched too many of your games, so what would say your team’s strength and weaknesses are?

Their biggest strength by far is their mentality/confidence. They simply can't be rattled by fans, goals against, big hits, or even injuries. It's as if Gallant has them hypnotized. This has seemed to be very, very draining on opponents because just when it seems like a team has the Knights figured out, they have a big pushback and it's like when you see in champion MMA fights the one fighter starts looking gassed.

It's not just their speed that makes them dangerous. They play efficiently, so it's not so much body on body or getting in passing lanes so much as they're always skating extremely hard with their sticks on the ice, which gives teams very little time to react. They play 5v5 like they're a man down killing a penalty.

Biggest weakness is probably when teams cycle down low. Ovechkin should be very difficult for them to defend against, and the Knights don't have a reliable 3rd pairing LD.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
This is the part of hockey I despise, but I'm not a Utopianist. It will be good to know that Reaves can handle Wilson, if necessary.

Coach G might match first line against first line (like he did against Winnipeg). In that case, Wilson (6'4" 218 lbs) will match against Marchy (5'9" 174 lbs). I expect Wilson will revert to his usual thuggery, especially if the Caps are desperate.

GG doesn't line match regularly.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
I would rather face the Caps than the Lightning. Either way I think we pull it off in 7 to bring the cup down the Vegas strip in its first year of existence. It's been a pleasure watching this team. I became a fan after that first game against my Blues. Seeing the speed and work ethic of each member on the team made me an instant fan of the Golden Knights. Let's do this!

Explain to me why you rather face a team that dominated the team you apparently were more scared of?? Not very sound logic..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad