GDT: Stanley Cup Final Game 1: Blackhawks @ Lightning | June 3, 2015 | 7:00 PM CDT | NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMPark

Jun 4, 2015
Chicago
Reading some of the comments you would think the Hawks lost... Yes, they played slow to open(nothing new), and they didn't generate much before the turtle defense. The Blackhawks have been a read then react team for a long time now in the playoffs. They weather the opening storm, adjust, and then play their game accordingly. TB had early chances that they were unable to capitalize on. The one goal they did score on was a circus shot that misses the net 9 out of 10 times.
What most teams look at as being dominated on the stats sheets, the Hawks look at as data and a blueprint on how to beat you. Where are the chinks in the armor? Is someone showing a tendency in person that was not noticed on film?
The 20-88-19 line had its chances, but didn't score. I thought other than a few turnovers they had a pretty good game.
The longer the series goes, the worse the ice will be. We will see a lot more bouncing pucks and ugly play. Puck luck will play a huge factor in this series.
All playoffs TB has played up and down. Crappy one game, and then world beaters the next. Game 2 is very important for the Hawks...

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Is there a team going for 3rd cup in 6 years in which GM receives all the praise while coach (Future HOF) receives all blame?

I mean look at Rundblad situation. All year long the Bowman defenders and Rundblad fans tried to pin his struggles on Q

Rather then admit Stan's mistake

We saw same with Timonen and Vermette. Never the player or GM who overpaid for them to blame for the horrendous performance on ice

I've criticized and praised both Stan and Q in the past. I don't like Rundblad and didn't like the Timonen move. I'm fine with the Vermette trade. Why is everything so black and white with you? How are you still saying Vermette's performance has been horrendous?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The last two pages of this thread make me want to start attacking the posters and not the arguments the hell are you all talking about.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
-If Hawks don't win cup ,, Yes the Vermette deal is blunder. Only way it ends up a win at this point is a cup victory

-I was pretty happy with Desi trade ,, Gave Stan props for dumping Smith contract

-And considering the horrendous turnout from 2010 draft and current struggles of his 18th overall pick in 2011 and a draft that is looking less and less amazing for Hawks I would hardly rave about his drafting at this point. Bowman squandered all the value from picks he acquired in 1st cap purge

-Bowman gifted Bickell that contract and has refused to hold him accountable for his play. No reason he shouldn't have been given Bourque treatment and been exposed to waivers this year. But Stan refuses to admit his failings ,, Just look at fact #5 was gifted a roster spot

So we cant review the blunders by Bowman because "He doesn't have crystal ball" but a bad game from Q we can ,,, Does Q not also lack a crystal ball?

I am not the one moaning about Q. You are thinking of someone else

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I've never seen someone get so pissed off over trading the 58th pick. A mistake in hindsight, but hardly actively hurting the Hawks. There's no one else to play right now, and they're in the SCF for God's sake. Get the hell over it.

Even Rundblad has played more NHL games than your average 58th pick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I've criticized and praised both Stan and Q in the past. I don't like Rundblad and didn't like the Timonen move. I'm fine with the Vermette trade. Why is everything so black and white with you? How are you still saying Vermette's performance has been horrendous?

Why is everything involving Q black and white on here?

As for Rundblad/Timonen. There is no middle ground as both moves have been complete and utter disasters and nearly sank the Hawks

Also no middle ground with Bickell. After his comments this year and poor performance the Hawks simply should have waived him to at very least send a message that crap will not be tolerated

I've never seen someone get so pissed off over trading the 58th pick. A mistake in hindsight, but hardly actively hurting the Hawks. There's no one else to play right now, and they're in the SCF for God's sake. Get the hell over it.

Even Rundblad has played more NHL games than your average 58th pick.

Well Rundblad already is responsible for a major defeat in these playoffs (Game 1 vs Ducks)

There is no defense to him being on NHL roster and blocking someone with actual future who could play

Johns or Pokka should have finished out year with Hawks to gain NHL experience and gear up for playoffs

Rundblad should have been waived alongside his BFF

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
With the core of this team, their ages, and their success to date I am happy to go for it every trade deadline barring major injury. Go for as many cups as you can. Not worried about securing playoff spots in the future. I would take 2 or 3 more cups even if it means we miss the playoffs 5 straight years down the road. I want ultimate success instead of conservative moves to keep a good team. Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver have those nice teams that make the playoffs almost every year but win nothing.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I don't post that often really but I will never understand the "omg Hawks were awful they need to be better" or "they were lucky to win" or "they're doomed if (blank) doesn't step up or Q doesn't do (insert idea here) next time.

It's the freaking Finals. I don't care if they look like Smurfs on ice, get out-shot 58-12, get out-hit 75-10 and shoot two pucks in their own net by mistake. Win the game, that's all that matters. Just cause Game #1 or 2 or 6 went a certain way does not mean it's going to happen that way next time out.

They won Game 1, on the road...that in itself is huge. They got their road split, the pressure is on TB big time now, and then 3 of the next 4 are at home. Be happy. Have fun. The Finals aren't supposed to be easy.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012

Plenty of people have given Q credit for his systems/strategies/adjustments while criticizing his mind-boggling lineup decisions. There was no reason for Nordstrom to ever see the ice and no reason for Versteeg to draw in over Teuvo or Vermette. Last night was the first time Versteeg looked like an NHLer in these playoffs.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

As for Rundblad/Timonen. There is no middle ground as both moves have been complete and utter disasters and nearly sank the Hawks

Also no middle ground with Bickell. After his comments this year and poor performance the Hawks simply should have waived him to at very least send a message that crap will not be tolerated

Well Rundblad already is responsible for a major defeat in these playoffs (Game 1 vs Ducks)

There is no defense to him being on NHL roster and blocking someone with actual future who could play

Johns or Pokka should have finished out year with Hawks to gain NHL experience and gear up for playoffs

Rundblad should have been waived alongside his BFF

So Pokka and Johns are better than Runblad right now, you know this for a fact. Right now they are better, yes?

Mike Yanagita*

Sitting TT/Vermette for a game didn't cost Hawks anything. If Hawks stars bother to show up they would have won game

What did cost Hawks games in WCF was Stanely's blunders. Rundblad gave away game 1 and Bickell gave away game 5

Thankfully Q and Hawks core overcame those disaster to win series

irrelevant, it was the wrong decision and everyone knows it. Mistakes do not cease to be mistakes just because they didn't cost the Hawks the series.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I will say that if our coach had our team sit back that long with a 2-1 lead he'd rightfully be getting crucified on these boards. Cooper handled game one poorly.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Pokka and Johns are better than Runblad right now, you know this for a fact. Right now they are better, yes?

Yes they are ,, Also have future in NHL

Unlike Rundblad who should be returning to Europe soon enough

Neither Johns or Pokka have failed over and over and over again in different organizations at this point like Rundblad. Also I am pretty confident in saying both have a clue what the role of a defender is ,, Unlike #5

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What was interesting about it? What conclusions would you draw from it?

You said something without saying it. Don't pretend otherwise.

Edit: Thanks for coming out though.

It is interesting that they started potting goals and assists since the benching. Whether it be from more motivation, trying to prove the coach wrong, or just luck is something people can talk about.

I post interesting stats once in a while, no reason to be a ****** about it.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I dont understand the issue with the vermette trade??? he fills a big hole in our lineup. I would rather go into this playoffs with a team trying to win the cup then get pick #30 next year.

you would have bickell and versteeg (maybe nordstrom) playing every damn game and shaw playing center instead of wing....you cant tell me the hawks arnt way better with him in the lineup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
irrelevant, it was the wrong decision and everyone knows it. Mistakes do not cease to be mistakes just because they didn't cost the Hawks the series.

So your saying that Bowman's blunders cant be swept under rug because Hawks advanced to SCF?

Especially the 4M blunder which could cost Hawks roster dearly in pending cap purge. A cap purge that his NTC + Horrendous contract makes him almost a lock as unmovable at this point

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Yes they are ,, Also have future in NHL

Unlike Rundblad who should be returning to Europe soon enough

Neither Johns or Pokka have failed over and over and over again in different organizations at this point like Rundblad. Also I am pretty confident in saying both have a clue what the role of a defender is ,, Unlike #5

why do you constantly talk about rundblad...he plays 5 minutes a game...has only mad mistakes in 1 game all playoffs. Thats actually not bad for a 3rd pairing d man.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It is interesting that they started potting goals and assists since the benching. Whether it be from more motivation, trying to prove the coach wrong, or just luck is something people can talk about.

I post interesting stats once in a while, no reason to be a ****** about it.

Only started the snark after the thanks for coming out statement.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
So your saying that Bowman's blunders cant be swept under rug because Hawks advanced to SCF?

Especially the 4M blunder which could cost Hawks roster dearly in pending cap purge. A cap purge that his NTC + Horrendous contract makes him almost a lock as unmovable at this point

that contract does not make this team worse right now...he may be able to move it and no damage done. why are you judging before we see what happens

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
More pucks are going in, but they're doing and playing the exact same.

I would say TT's game has picked up offensively. He is shooting the puck more (outside of the first 50mins last night). Vermette has been the same, for the most part. Although both were not very good in the first 50mins last night. Both have their ups and downs.

What I see is both are putting more pucks towards the net, instead of passing it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad