GDT: Stanley Cup Final Game 1: Blackhawks @ Lightning | June 3, 2015 | 7:00 PM CDT | NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
Long time reader with a few posts. Every time I read a GDT I keep looking up because everyone makes it sound like the sky is falling.

TB played well and the Hawks took a bit to adjust. As the game went on, the Hawks adjusted. As soon as TB made a couple mistakes, the Hawks pounced and scored. That is what a GOOD team does.

Most people always focus on the negatives (even in a win) and it gets tiring. I never count the Hawks out of a game until the final buzzer goes. Just like I never count them out of a series until the the final buzzer of the 4th loss. But hey, maybe I am not in the norm as I am optimistic.

The Hawks know what to expect from TB now so they will be prepared for Game 2. Until then, keep looking up at the sky.

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
A couple of observations from yesterday:

• The Bolts seem to excell at both, open offensive hockey, and the stonewalling defensive kind. If Cooper decides to open it up (like he did in the 1st period) the 'Hawks will be in trouble unless they step it up. (I am not sure how much of the 2nd and 3rd period was the 'Hawks playing better or the Bolts's playing defense first and foremost.)
  • The 19-88 combination clearly wasn't working. Kane in particular had a series of 3 or 4 turnovers on the same shift and whatever benefit he got from playing with Toews towards the end of the Anaheim series seems to be gone.
  • At the same time I don't like the idea of going back to the 91-88 combination either since they will get exploited something fierce on the road by the Triplets.
  • TT is going to be huge, love watching him play
  • Versteeg was surprisingly dynamic. More of that, less of the trying to kill yourself.
  • Let's not forget that the Bolts are worse at home than away. I am pleased but not surprised that the 'Hawks have won one away. At the same time I am kind of dreading the 'Hawks losing one or both upcoming games at UC :help:

I believe Cooper will continue to employ the "attack first, turtle later" tactic with the only difference being when he takes his foot off the pedal. The Bolts will come out flying again and won't slow down until they have a two- or three-goal lead and then they will stonewall. This is far from a failed tactic and it will work for them unless the 'Hawks are able to keep up during the attacking phase. If Cooper made a mistake last night, it was switching to the defensive play too soon; he won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They've played well all post season, the points just weren't there. I need to go sit down from all the spin the last half dozen posts.

They were OK, and last night were just OK for the majority of the game. Point is, they are producing now, like we need them too. I never said once that they are putting up points because they were benched. Thanks for coming out though.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Sitting TT/Vermette for a game didn't cost Hawks anything. If Hawks stars bother to show up they would have won game

What did cost Hawks games in WCF was Stanely's blunders. Rundblad gave away game 1 and Bickell gave away game 5

Thankfully Q and Hawks core overcame those disaster to win series

My brain hurts. The mental gymnastics needed to come to these two disparate points must have been strenuous to say the least.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I honestly don't think the Hawks can play much worse then that, and they won

Exactly how I feel. It wasn't their best game by any stretch, with maybe the exception of Crawford, who played great. This wasn't even close to their best game and they still won.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They were OK, and last night were just OK for the majority of the game. Point is, they are producing now, like we need them too. I never said once that they are putting up points because they were benched. Thanks for coming out though.

You're seriously going to pretend like that wasn't implied by the first post I quoted? Why bring it up at all then?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
What was interesting about it? What conclusions would you draw from it?

You said something without saying it. Don't pretend otherwise.

Edit: Thanks for coming out though.

Last edited:

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
The needless and misguided tinkering with the lineup after game 2 was idiotic whether it cost us the series or not.

There was no reason to do it and the moves made us a worse team.

Not sure how anyone can defend it and not sure why anyone would bother to try.

People make mistakes. Move on.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Sitting TT/Vermette for a game didn't cost Hawks anything. If Hawks stars bother to show up they would have won game

What did cost Hawks games in WCF was Stanely's blunders. Rundblad gave away game 1 and Bickell gave away game 5

what in the hell??? How does one move not cost you but the other two cost you? Its all or nothing...they won the series so i would say none of these move costs the hawks anything of importance.

Just because you dont like rundblad and bickell.....SMH

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
what in the hell??? How does one move not cost you but the other two cost you? Its all or nothing...they won the series so i would say none of these move costs the hawks anything of importance.

Just because you dont like rundblad and bickell.....SMH

Exactly. Reading those two points made me think my head was about to explode.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

Going for our 3rd cup in 6 years and Stan blows eh? If Stan blows then the remainder of the GM's in this league must suck beyond imagination. And these other teams obviously are not worthy to set foot on the ice with our hockey gods wearing the indian head.

You are unreal. If everyone doesn't play perfect and every move by the GM and coach doesn't work you are unsatisfied. If you are at the pearly gates deciding who gets in and who doesn't the place will be empty. There is no such thing as perfection dude.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Going for our 3rd cup in 6 years and Stan blows eh? If Stan blows then the remainder of the GM's in this league must suck beyond imagination. And these other teams obviously are not worthy to set foot on the ice with our hockey gods wearing the indian head.

You are unreal. If everyone doesn't play perfect and every move by the GM and coach doesn't work you are unsatisfied. If you are at the pearly gates deciding who gets in and who doesn't the place will be empty. There is no such thing as perfection dude.

Interesting

Yet the coach going for 3rd cup in 6 years and will be HOF bound blows eh?

And when have I bashed Q and claimed such things as you claim? Its interesting thought that the awful moves by Bowman just get swept under the rug and we cant talk about them

But if Q makes a mistake he must be fired and he has done nothing to play part in Hawks success according to some around here

Who threw away valuable assets on non NHL talent such as Timonen and Rundblad? Sure as hell wasn't Q
Who inflicted Hawks with 4M cap penalty for 4 years? Sure as hell wasn't Q

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Interesting

Yet the coach going for 3rd cup in 6 years and will be HOF bound blows eh?

And when have I bashed Q and claimed such things as you claim? Its interesting thought that the awful moves by Bowman just get swept under the rug and we cant talk about them

But if Q makes a mistake he must be fired and he has done nothing to play part in Hawks success according to some around here

Who threw away valuable assets on non NHL talent such as Timonen and Rundblad? Sure as hell wasn't Q
Who inflicted Hawks with 4M cap penalty for 4 years? Sure as hell wasn't Q

How do we keep contending with these awful blunders? How about the drafting of TT? Is the Vermette trade a blunder now? How about the Desjardins trade? You really value these late 50's 2nd round picks so much.

As far as Bickell goes, the guy looked to be breaking out with an incredible performace that was a huge factor in winning a cup. It happened to coincide with a contract year. Bad timing for the team. He seen the effects of losing Buff and thought Bickell was maturing and would carry on being the player he was that playoffs. In hindsight it didn't work but I can't fault his thinking one bit, its all on Bickell. Of course if you were GM you have a crystal ball and can see all these "blunders" before they happen. Be happy you have a championship caliber team, every GM makes mistakes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
-If Hawks don't win cup ,, Yes the Vermette deal is blunder. Only way it ends up a win at this point is a cup victory

-I was pretty happy with Desi trade ,, Gave Stan props for dumping Smith contract

-And considering the horrendous turnout from 2010 draft and current struggles of his 18th overall pick in 2011 and a draft that is looking less and less amazing for Hawks I would hardly rave about his drafting at this point. Bowman squandered all the value from picks he acquired in 1st cap purge

-Bowman gifted Bickell that contract and has refused to hold him accountable for his play. No reason he shouldn't have been given Bourque treatment and been exposed to waivers this year. But Stan refuses to admit his failings ,, Just look at fact #5 was gifted a roster spot

So we cant review the blunders by Bowman because "He doesn't have crystal ball" but a bad game from Q we can ,,, Does Q not also lack a crystal ball?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Is there a roster in the NHL without garbage on it?

Is there a team going for 3rd cup in 6 years in which GM receives all the praise while coach (Future HOF) receives all blame?

I mean look at Rundblad situation. All year long the Bowman defenders and Rundblad fans tried to pin his struggles on Q

Rather then admit Stan's mistake

We saw same with Timonen and Vermette. Never the player or GM who overpaid for them to blame for the horrendous performance on ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad