Speculation: Stammergeddon 3.0

What do you think Stamkos does next year?

• Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Saying we are done cause of 1 bad round (where it should still be highlighted the fact that we dominated Toronto and should have won most games and the series) after going to the finals 3 times in a row is a bit of a reach IMO.
Even if this team wouldn't have Stamkos next season, we'd still be contenders (we'd have ~$8M to get a top 6 replacement to fill Stammer departure), I got no doubt about it.
Kucherov, Point, Hagel, Hedman (healthy), Sergachev getting each season closer and closer to being an elite D, Vasy, Cirelli,... Add a top end top 6 F to this core and we are definitely still contenders IMO

He didn't say they were done being contenders, he said they are done winning cups which is probably true, they've already capitalized on their best years and teams around them have significantly improved while ours has gotten weaker. Saying a core is done winning cups after 2 and a decade of contention is hardly a reach. That is a far better peak than 95% of teams in the league in any era, any run from here on is just icing on the cake.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
This screams Don Meehan. Stammer is the best UFA in 2024-2025 by a country mile. Using this to drive up the $.
You may very well be right as there is Stamkos then a few tiers lower the rest of the potential UFAs next season.
Of course, this could all change depending on how the 23-24 season plays out but for right now, he will be the number one target for every team looking to add a Super Star who is also a proven leader and winner.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Hypothetically, if the cap goes up to 87.5m like its rumored, we only have $12,385,000 to sign Stamkos, 2 more forward spots, and a D spot and then maybe an extra forward and/or Dman. i think we can fit him in fine if he comes in at anything under 7.75m per
You do know the cap might go to 92 million by 2026, right ?

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Stammer would be happy to have a new contract based on last season, but I think Brisbois is correct to wait to see how Stammer does this season, when he'll turn 34. I'm afraid regardless, it's going to be the same situation it was with Palat and Killorn - other teams with the cap space will be able to offer him far more than we will, or even should. Stamkos might earn whatever he is payed for the first year or two of his next contract, but it won't be pretty when he's 36, 37 and after.

Reactions: Renopucker

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
IMG_2672.png

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Might be unpopular opinion but if they can't work out a deal that's good for the team, let him go if he wants to. The success of the team is more important than a guy getting to finish his career here, no matter how important he's been. Happened with Marty and happened with Vinny. Everyone lived and it was better for the team than hanging on for sentimental reasons.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
If this situation happened in Toronto the city would just shut down....i give them both credit for getting it over with right from the start and not have to deal with throughout the season.

SS is showing the fans he wants to stay and is willing to negotiate right away to make a deal...positive
JB wants nothing more for Stamkos to stay but needs to see where the team is at until the end of the season...positive

there is no talk about it now until the end of the season, no more reporter questions, no more speculation, just wait until end of season

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Now I think you're seeing why Stamkos was "disappointed" and wanted this done before the season started. Stuff like the above from EF. Disappointed knowing shit like this is hitting the media and online. It's going to be a distraction and he didn't want to have to deal with it during the season (completely understandable imo)

That said, I still understand JFBB's rationale on why it hasn't happened yet.

Not worried. These things work themselves out, almost when you least expect it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Now I think you're seeing why Stamkos was "disappointed" and wanted this done before the season started. Stuff like the above from EF. Disappointed knowing shit like this is hitting the media and online. It's going to be a distraction and he didn't want to have to deal with it during the season (completely understandable imo)

That said, I still understand JFBB's rationale on why it hasn't happened yet.

Not worried. These things work themselves out, almost when you least expect it.
To be fair, the reason this is hitting the media as hard as it is, is due to his comments.

Just saying.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No doubt we'd be absolutely fine is Stamkos left, performance wise, he just never brings it in the playoffs - I find it hard to imagine a GM wouldn't notice this as well as the fact that he just doesnt drive a line. That being said, he's the Lightning's all time leading scorer and will be the longest tenured player half way through this upcoming season, his performance although not great is not terrible either, if you take the politics and emotions out of the way, it's probably time to move on from Stamkos but things don't work thay way in business, you're killing a relationship with an extremely beloved player.

Ice cold move if JBB let's him walk but theres absolutely an argument for it, I wouldn't be disappointed either way, there's upsides to both letting him walk and keeping him.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
CapFriendly estimates that Stammer has nearly $100 million in career earnings, just from his Lightning contracts. Is $6 million over 3-4 years going to be a dealbreaker?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Got to pay him, we’re already slowly shutting our window. Give Stamkos his sailboat money. He’s earned it

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Got to pay him, we’re already slowly shutting our window. Give Stamkos his sailboat money. He’s earned it
Unfortunately, whether he has or not, JBB must still sign 5 additional players next offseason(3F, 2D) after Stamkos. Although the cap is projected to rise to 87.5, JBB can't gamble and overpay him now. If it is 87.5, they will have 12.335 available, and while most of the other spots are bottom 6 F and 6/7 dmen types, the most they can probably go is 7.5 comfortably(7 being more ideal).

However, JBB can't know for sure that's the cap for next season, nor can he know if the team may have to upgrade the middle 6 if one or more of Sheary/Jeannot/Syracuse call up doesn't work out. Additionally, Stamkos could start to decline, and while that's unlikely for this season, it's another factor JBB has to consider. Hopefully a deal gets done that works for both sides, but JBB's position is sound. Loyalty to any one player can't be put ahead of what's best for the team, even with someone like Stamkos. Both sides, especially JBB, could've handled it more privately and with far better communication.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
No doubt we'd be absolutely fine is Stamkos left, performance wise, he just never brings it in the playoffs - I find it hard to imagine a GM wouldn't notice this as well as the fact that he just doesnt drive a line. That being said, he's the Lightning's all time leading scorer and will be the longest tenured player half way through this upcoming season, his performance although not great is not terrible either, if you take the politics and emotions out of the way, it's probably time to move on from Stamkos but things don't work thay way in business, you're killing a relationship with an extremely beloved player.

Ice cold move if JBB let's him walk but theres absolutely an argument for it, I wouldn't be disappointed either way, there's upsides to both letting him walk and keeping him.
95 points in 123 playoff games isn't "bringing it"

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Whether we as fans like it or not, the whole sign Stamkos or let him go argument depends on the amount of Cap Space the team does or does not have to fill the ENTIRE roster. What good is it to pay your top six or seven players most of your Cap Space in an effort to win now if you cannot fill the supporting roster with decent enough talent to contribute when your main stars are not on the ice?

Just as with every other team that plays in a league that actually enforces its Cap Limit, the Lightning are going to have to make a difficult decision that may or may not lead to the player who has been the face of the franchise for a decade leaving and joining an organization that can pay him what he is asking. It is part of the NHL that happens off the ice, and we must face that fact.

The best thing the Lighting and Stamkos can do right now is not have a knee jerk action/reaction and sign him to a contract one side or the other may regret, but have both sit down in front of the press and explain that the contract discussion will happen at the end of this season so the entire organization can concentrate on having this season lead up back to the Finals and winning our third Championship in the last six years. Once the season is over and the NHL has figured out what it is or is not going to do with the Cap, then the main effort of the organization has to be finalizing the Stamkos decision one way or the other.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
While taking advantage of Cap Friendly's contract comparable tool, i decided to see if i could find some similar contracts signed in the 6.5-8m range for 34 year olds of Stamkos-esque career in GP and Points.

Vincent Lecavalier 33yo (PHI 2013)- 5 year 4.5m AAV 7% Cap hit
Nicklas Backstrom 32yo (WSH 2020)- 5 year 9.2m AAV 11.29% Cap hit
Henrik Sedin 33yo (VAN 2014)- 4 year 7m AAV 10.89% Cap hit
Ryan O'Reilly 32yo (NSH 2023)- 4 year 4.5m AAV 5.39% Cap hit
Jason Spezza 32yo (DAL 2015)- 4 year 7.5m AAV 10.87% Cap hit

So roughly looking at between 7%-10% (6.125m AAV to 8.75m AAV) Cap hit for 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad