News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I still think you're making a big deal out it far more than the palyers do.

tonnes of players choose to play for a high-tax area team every year instead of going to a lower-end team/

Players want to win first, and if winning and being a star and living in an awesome city like Toronto, NYR, Vancouver etc. means making 7.1m a year after taxes instead of 7.9 I think quite a few would still go. Not every player cares about max earnings, especially the bigger stars, they care about location and ability to win.

Which is why we havent gotten a lot of big looks the past few years(although the UFA lists have been very thin the past 5-6 seasons) we're a media bubble team that's been playing terribly, why would anyone want to come here right now?

however if we were built into more of a contender I guarentee numerous players would have interest in coming here and being the hero that wins the first cup since 1967

edit: nevermind

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Intelligence from the bWo's Overly Optimistic Partnership (OOPs) in sub-basement 2 of the Chilean office indeed indicates a very small degree of likelihood.

Well as BWO's Tourism minister I'll be sure to put out a welcoming mat and a nice spread making Stevie feel right at home. ;)

He already wears blue and white jersey colours in TB so the switch might be seamless getting use to looking for his new teammates on the ice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In that case I was wrong, the tax rate won't be much of a factor at all, thanks for the link.

No worries, I really had no idea if it was a factor or not.

I tried to read the link but my eyes glazed over after the 1st paragraph. Hopefully the title was accurate.

hockeyfanz*

So when Stammer signs an 8 year deal with Tampa worth 100+M dollars can we put this nonsense to rest?

Why is it everytime a star player's contract is coming up for renewal..we have to hear about how he is coming to Toronto?

When did that actually happen last? Never?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
No worries, I really had no idea if it was a factor or not.

I tried to read the link but my eyes glazed over after the 1st paragraph. Hopefully the title was accurate.

tbh I only looked at the handy chart at the bottom, I'll read the article later.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
So when Stammer signs an 8 year deal with Tampa worth 100+M dollars can we put this nonsense to rest?

Why is it everytime a star player's contract is coming up for renewal..we have to hear about how he is coming to Toronto?

There's a first time for everything ;)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It's not impossible.

ANYTHING IS POSSSIBBBOOOOOLLLLLLLL

anything-is-possible-o.gif

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011

Uhhh.... Clarkson :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I still think you're making a big deal out it far more than the palyers do.

tonnes of players choose to play for a high-tax area team every year instead of going to a lower-end team/

Players want to win first, and if winning and being a star and living in an awesome city like Toronto, NYR, Vancouver etc. means making 7.1m a year after taxes instead of 7.9 I think quite a few would still go. Not every player cares about max earnings, especially the bigger stars, they care about location and ability to win.

Which is why we havent gotten a lot of big looks the past few years(although the UFA lists have been very thin the past 5-6 seasons) we're a media bubble team that's been playing terribly, why would anyone want to come here right now?

however if we were built into more of a contender I guarentee numerous players would have interest in coming here and being the hero that wins the first cup since 1967

I think this is bang on. However that is such a humongous if it almost feels like we're talking about space aliens or something. Maybe one day ...

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
#howtodriveupmynextcontract

Toronto is an excellent choice if you want to do this. The leafs have been used as a foil to drive up offers for guys who have no real intention of coming here many times(remember bobby holik?)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I give the realistic odds perhaps 5% that this actually happens leaving 95% odds remaining for optimism.

With such a high optimism quotient % you can understand the excitement exuded in this thread at dreaming of the thought of Stamkos coming home to save the Leafs in only 3 short years.

Lookout 2017 playoffs here we come. !!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You kidding right?

Bozak is number one, playing with Kessel.
Then Stamkos on 2nd line with Lupul.
Tavares on the 3rd line with Clarkson.

You're forgetting Spezza, who will sign here next season. He'll be a very expensive fourth line center but you simply cannot bump Bozak from that number one spot. Can't do it.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
I give the realistic odds perhaps 5% that this actually happens leaving 95% odds remaining for optimism.

With such a high optimism quotient % you can understand the excitement exuded in this thread at dreaming of the thought of Stamkos coming home to save the Leafs in only 3 short years.

Lookout 2017 playoffs here we come. !!

Stanley Cup :yo:

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Well as BWO's Tourism minister I'll be sure to put out a welcoming mat and a nice spread making Stevie feel right at home. ;)

He already wears blue and white jersey colours in TB so the switch might be seamless getting use to looking for his new teammates on the ice.

As the BWO's active Recruiting Minister, I'm all over this. ;)

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
As the BWO's active Recruiting Minister, I'm all over this. ;)

See now we're getting somewhere. This tweeting stuff is a bit silly but as we can all see now that our Tourism and Recruiting Officers are on it things are looking up.

#bWo

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
This thread is to funny. All this over a meaningless tweet. If I was an NHL player I would do stuff like this purposely just to get a rise out of the fan base, then sit back and have a :laugh:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
This thread is to funny. All this over a meaningless tweet. If I was an NHL player I would do stuff like this purposely just to get a rise out of the fan base, then sit back and have a :laugh:

Pretty sure that's what happened, as Stamkos can't be so dumb with all the times he's been asked about Toronto that he doesn't realize what the deal is with the fanbase and media.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty sure that's what happened, as Stamkos can't be so dumb with all the times he's been asked about Toronto that he doesn't realize what the deal is with the fanbase and media.

Well he wouldn't have gone and deleted it if his whole point was to stir up controversy?

I don't think Stamkos is rushing to leave Tampa Bay, but it sounds like he's at least open to the scenario of a hometown return. I like the idea of people like Proteau and Damien Cox writing about pursuing Stamkos so that idea is floating around in the open. Have the Toronto media machine campaign for it early and often over the next two years as an informal, third party way to recruit free agents and build that hype. It's not like they're targeting a complete random, this guy grew up cheering for the same team we all did.

It'd be nice to see a social media campaign over the next two years make this into a bigger and bigger deal too. If I were an NHL great like Stamkos playing in Tampa, I'd definitely be open to the idea of coming home and making a big difference and being one of the greatest stars in this city. All those players like Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Nash, it's not like any of them lived happily ever after in their little small market situations.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
If you bump bozak off the first line. Who's gonna talk Phil out of that second piece of cheesecake?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
until stamkos signs on the dotted line, i won't believe he's coming here in 2016.

its nice to dream about it, but keep the expectations low on this possibility happening.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Well he wouldn't have gone and deleted it if his whole point was to stir up controversy?

Don't think that makes any difference in the Twitter era. It just has to be seen/retweeted and that's all.

I don't think Stamkos is rushing to leave Tampa Bay, but it sounds like he's at least open to the scenario of a hometown return. I like the idea of people like Proteau and Damien Cox writing about pursuing Stamkos so that idea is floating around in the open. Have the Toronto media machine campaign for it early and often over the next two years as an informal, third party way to recruit free agents and build that hype. It's not like they're targeting a complete random, this guy grew up cheering for the same team we all did.

It'd be nice to see a social media campaign over the next two years make this into a bigger and bigger deal too. If I were an NHL great like Stamkos playing in Tampa, I'd definitely be open to the idea of coming home and making a big difference and being one of the greatest stars in this city. All those players like Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Nash, it's not like any of them lived happily ever after in their little small market situations.

Stamkos will send the Toronto media a nice fruit basket for ensuring he gets the absolute max from Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad