News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure I'd even call Chara a superstar at that point though, certainly not in the sense that Tavares and Stamkos are in their hypothetical UFA years. Real good sure, but not perennial Norris candidate quality at that point, his game developped into that in Beantown.

Brett Hull leaving for Dallas maybe as the last real example I can think off? Anyone else think of anyone?

Suter, Parise, Kovachuk, Clarkson......

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I like Tampa but it's not like Martin St. Louis stuck around, they dumped Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards never went back there...

St Louis was in his late 30's when he left...

Vinny Lecav didn't have much choice.

Brad Richards I can't recall if Tampa had the cash flow to offer him a contract?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If he chooses not to come here it definitely wont be because of that, already made 50 million in his career, losing a few million to come home cuz of taxes isnt gonna change his mind.

Its a pipe dream right now though guys, multiple factors, St Louis wanted out for a reason and went to NYR, maybe Stamkos will want out too eventually. Although Tampa looks fairly solid future wise.

What do you define as a few million? In this case, the number is probably a few million per season. I'd call that a factor.

I guess Toronto would have to pay him more than Tampa, and then possible endorsement deals might balance things out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What do you define as a few million? In this case, the number is probably a few million per season. I'd call that a factor.

I guess Toronto would have to pay him more than Tampa, and then possible endorsement deals might balance things out.

The tax thing seems way more important to the fans than it does to the Player.

Has a Player or Agent ever admitted they went somewhere based on the taxes when they would have preferred to go elsewhere?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Ilya Kovalchuk?

Suter, Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson......

Not so sure about Clarkson ACC lol.. but here's three good examples of "superstar" UFA's that moved, yup.

For the record, merely an academic discussion, I'm not here to encourage dreaming of Stamkos and Tavares. My advice to those harbouring these pipe dreams is for the love of god don't bother thinking about it until the last week of June the year their respective deals are up, until then assume they re-sign.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For the record, merely an academic discussion, I'm not here to encourage dreaming of Stamkos and Tavares. My advice to those harbouring these pipe dreams is for the love of god don't bother thinking about it until the last week of June the year their respective deals are up, until then assume they re-sign.

Yup Sqiffmeister

This should be filed under Unbridled Optimism of Stamkos coming to Toronto, at least at this point..

This isn't even possible for 2 more seasons and summer 2016.

Razorwing

Oct 17, 2010
lol, that would be very impressive to see Stamkos and Tavares coming back to Toronto.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not so sure about Clarkson ACC lol.. but here's three good examples of "superstar" UFA's that moved, yup.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

With how dismal all things Leaf have been, all we have are these dreams.

My eldest wants a shirt this year to wear to games. I'm getting her a Stamkos shirt and her little sister a Tavares one, both #91.

Put that in your pipe dream and smoke it!

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The tax thing seems way more important to the fans than it does to the Player.

Has a Player or Agent ever admitted they went somewhere based on the taxes when they would have preferred to go elsewhere?

Key word there is admitted. They seldom admit they left for more dollars even. If he pays no income tax in Florida, vs giving up roughly half in canada, that's pretty impossible to ignore.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Yup Sqiffmeister

This should be filed under Unbridled Optimism of Stamkos coming to Toronto, at least at this point..

This isn't even possible for 2 more seasons and summer 2016.

Intelligence from the bWo's Overly Optimistic Partnership (OOPs) in sub-basement 2 of the Chilean office indeed indicates a very small degree of likelihood.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Stamkos favs a tweet = Hero
Kane faves a tweet = Chump
This was one my first thoughts when reading the title. Where's all the media attention and commentary about this? Clearly Stamkos is saying he wants out and Tampa should be looking at trading him ASAP right ;)?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Key word there is admitted. They seldom admit they left for more dollars even. If he pays no income tax in Florida, vs giving up roughly half in canada, that's pretty impossible to ignore.

Why don't all Players flocked to Florida then?

Wouldn't Bolland have stayed if the had matched what he was offered in Fla?

I still don't believe the difference is as great as it's made out to be.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Why don't all Players flocked to Florida then?

Wouldn't Bolland have stayed if the had matched what he was offered in Fla?

I still don't believe the difference is as great as it's made out to be.

1) Because neither Tampa or Florida have been spenders on the UFA market.

2) I have no idea if Bolland would have stayed or not if we matched.

3) What do you think the difference between no income tax and canadian income tax rate actually is for a guy making over 10m per season?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
1) Because neither Tampa or Florida have been spenders on the UFA market.

2) I have no idea if Bolland would have stayed or not if we matched.

3) What do you think the difference between no income tax and canadian income tax rate actually is for a guy making over 10m per season?

I still think you're making a big deal out it far more than the palyers do.

tonnes of players choose to play for a high-tax area team every year instead of going to a lower-end team/

Players want to win first, and if winning and being a star and living in an awesome city like Toronto, NYR, Vancouver etc. means making 7.1m a year after taxes instead of 7.9 I think quite a few would still go. Not every player cares about max earnings, especially the bigger stars, they care about location and ability to win.

Which is why we havent gotten a lot of big looks the past few years(although the UFA lists have been very thin the past 5-6 seasons) we're a media bubble team that's been playing terribly, why would anyone want to come here right now?

however if we were built into more of a contender I guarentee numerous players would have interest in coming here and being the hero that wins the first cup since 1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad