News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/steven-stamkos-as-a-leaf-less-of-a-long-shot-than-youd-think/

I'v been saying for a long time that signing Stamkos is our best chance at a cup in the near future, its never been a popular opinion around here. He is probably gonna re-sign with tampa but there is a chance he could come home to toronto. My reasons why he might sign in toronto are:
- He grew up a die hard leafs fan
- He spends his offseason here and has many friends and family here
- He has better endorsement opportunities here
- The leafs have a stronger young core than tampa (minus stamkos), and he would have a better chance of winning here. Im sure some will argue otherwise.
- Now we can add him favouring the tweet to this list.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Man... If I was a famous athlete I feel like it would be so much fun doing stuff like this and screwing around with fanbases :laugh:

All you have to do is favourite a tweet and it gets 100,000+ people discussing it! :help:

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/steven-stamkos-as-a-leaf-less-of-a-long-shot-than-youd-think/

I'v been saying for a long time that signing Stamkos is our best chance at a cup in the near future, its never been a popular opinion around here. He is probably gonna re-sign with tampa but there is a chance he could come home to toronto. My reasons why he might sign in toronto are:
- The leafs have a stronger young core than tampa (minus stamkos), and he would have a better chance of winning here. Im sure some will argue otherwise.

Other than the last point, you could have said the exact same things about Rick Nash. He even made it to UFA status and chose to go elsewhere. :shakehead

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014

Tampa has a lot of young talent I think.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa has a lot of young talent I think.

Tampa's got a lot of young talent that could also be a lot of question marks. Last summer the Leafs and Sens looked pretty good too.

The Lightning have a goalie in Ben Bishop who just had a career year. Is he the real deal? Will Johnson and Palat fizzle out like so many Leafs sophomores? Is Drouin going to have a smooth transition into the NHL? What's the downgrade from St. Louis to Callahan going to look like over 82 games or two seasons? Garrison was overpaid and that's why the Canucks dumped him. Not sure I'd want to pay Anton Stralman $4.5 million a year.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Steve Stamkos, the boy wonder of the Sarnia Sting, wants to be a Maple Leaf. Badly.

"To be a Leaf would be a dream come true," said Stamkos, who already has 80 points in just 46 games. "I idolized the Leafs growing up. I've always been a Leafs fan.

"I'm not going to lie to you. I've checked out the NHL standings. I pay attention to where the Leafs sit. I know they're near the bottom of the standings. The chance of (getting picked by them) definitely is in the back of my mind."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Zeisberger/2008/02/11/4839861-sun.html

Never forget

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Time until Stamkos is a Leaf:

counter.gif

Sep 18, 2009
What's with the love for Bozak? If we ever got centres of that caliber, he wouldn't be playing ahead of them I'll tell you that much.

You kidding right?

Bozak is number one, playing with Kessel.
Then Stamkos on 2nd line with Lupul.
Tavares on the 3rd line with Clarkson.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
You kidding right?

Bozak is number one, playing with Kessel.
Then Stamkos on 2nd line with Lupul.
Tavares on the 3rd line with Clarkson.

Hopefully Stamkos and Tavares can support Bozak or we'll have to trade them for berglund

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Tampa's got a lot of young talent that could also be a lot of question marks. Last summer the Leafs and Sens looked pretty good too.

The Lightning have a goalie in Ben Bishop who just had a career year. Is he the real deal? Will Johnson and Palat fizzle out like so many Leafs sophomores? Is Drouin going to have a smooth transition into the NHL? What's the downgrade from St. Louis to Callahan going to look like over 82 games or two seasons? Garrison was overpaid and that's why the Canucks dumped him. Not sure I'd want to pay Anton Stralman $4.5 million a year.

Didn't they get a few 1st rounders in the St. Louis trade too?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
We just need one superstar to come home.

Steve Stamkos (2016)
John Tavares (2018)

Either one. Just come home! Please!

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
He'll play here I'm sure one day. But it'll be when he's 40 years old and washed up, 1 year before he retires.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Hope the Leafs can do something similar to the Cavaliers and build the team up by obtaining a high 1st rounder(top 2) in 2014-2015, and developing the necessary pieces in order to make the Leafs a more attractive place to play once Stamkos' contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00