News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Clarkson and a 3rd. If they say no, we'll retain 250k and bump it up to a 2nd.

BRB getting my Stamkos Leafs jersey!!!

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I actually know exactly how to get him to come here, and it involves the purchasing of Lays chips and threatening to halt production of their Ketchup chips.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Kinda hard to compete with Florida's income tax rates...

...been a Leafs fan far too long to get my hopes up about these types of things.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

...been a Leafs fan far too long to get my hopes up about these types of things.

I like Tampa but it's not like Martin St. Louis stuck around, they dumped Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards never went back there...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Remember that time that superstar free agent came to the Leafs in his prime?

Me neither.

Yeah it's basically never happened.

But if you go back say.....near 15 years ago didn't we get some fairly good UFA's in Alexander Mogilny and Gary Roberts? Cujo?

Like give this franchise some credit man! :laugh:

15 ****ing years ago since a good player wanted to pull on a Leafs jersey when they weren't completely finished.

I don't know, am I forgetting someone more recent?

DoubleDouble*

Superstars of that calibre don't leave their teams in their prime in the NHL. Last one I can think of is Chara.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

If he chooses not to come here it definitely wont be because of that, already made 50 million in his career, losing a few million to come home cuz of taxes isnt gonna change his mind.

Its a pipe dream right now though guys, multiple factors, St Louis wanted out for a reason and went to NYR, maybe Stamkos will want out too eventually. Although Tampa looks fairly solid future wise.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah it's basically never happened.

But if you go back say.....near 15 years ago didn't we get some fairly good UFA's in Alexander Mogilny and Gary Roberts? Cujo?

Like give this franchise some credit man! :laugh:

15 ****ing years ago since a good player wanted to pull on a Leafs jersey when they weren't completely finished.

I don't know, am I forgetting someone more recent?
Not really. Even then, those guys were good, but not superstars in their prime, like signing a mid-20s Stamkos would be.

It's not absolutely impossible, but it's very, very, very unlikely. How often do we see superstars in their primes leave teams as UFAs? Maybe a couple times a decade? And there's 30 teams to go around, with maybe half of those being legit UFA destinations. Take an event that happens just once every 5 years across the whole league, multiply by about 15-30 teams, and you've got something that happens once every 65-130 years per team. Not something we should be pinning our hopes on, or even really considering at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad