News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I always favoured Tavares over stamkos but I think he's the only guy ever who might even consider coming back here...not many people want to play in toronto nor can they handle the media insanatorium that is our city. However if it happens I hope by that time...we are a respectable team that is on the rise some solid prospects or players with our group. More than Kessel spearheading the team with lacklustre defense where all do is score goals or do nothing at all.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Tavares before Stamkos IMO.

There's no hope on the Isles. That Vanek situation was a debacle. Yzerman had a good sell job on St. Louis.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

There's no hope on the Isles. That Vanek situation was a debacle. Yzerman had a good sell job on St. Louis.

Sadly though I dont think tavares wants to be in this city as much people think. Think Rick Nash scenario...which IMO is a good thing since nash really fizzled out.

However I obviously don't see that in Tavares.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario

Problem with Toronto is they seem hopeless too. 10 years with only one playoff appearance.

The 2014/2015 is hugely important if this team wants to get back to respectability. They absolutely cannot coast into a playoff spot all year long and then fritter it away with another end-of-year collapse.

If we just play NORMALLY, and show the entire league our boys have a good work ethic, that we are skilled, and that we play hard and defend each other, then we should be fine.

When I say play NORMALLY, I mean win or lose normally, for once in your lives. If you're going to lose, then make sure you're consistently a bubble team, some 10th-12th place team all year long. Don't lose in spectacular fashion. Don't lose 12 out of 14 games to end the season. Don't have another end-of-year collapse. It's just awful. It would show the team has no backbone, that there is no hope they can ever win under pressure.

I think if the team starts climbing back towards respectability in 2014/2015, we MIGHT be able to lure actual good free agents. There is a lot of work to be done. There is a mountain of improvements we need to make before someone like Tavares or Stamkos would ever consider coming here.

Clarkson came because he is a bad player who was gifted a retirement fund.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
So next season we win the Lottery and then following season we get stammer, we're in for some good times.:sarcasm: Imagine if we scooped up someone like Eichel and Stammer. Our line-up in 2016 would be absolutely filthy.

JVR - Stamkos - Kessel
Kadri - Eichel - Nylander
Bozak - Gauthier - Leivo
Komarov - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - Phaneuf
Finn - Gardiner
Percy - Granberg/ Loov

Bernier
Backup

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
When I say play NORMALLY, I mean win or lose normally, for once in your lives. If you're going to lose, then make sure you're consistently a bubble team, some 10th-12th place team all year long. Don't lose in spectacular fashion. Don't lose 12 out of 14 games to end the season. Don't have another end-of-year collapse. It's just awful. It would show the team has no backbone, that there is no hope they can ever win under pressure.

Pretty much this, people call us a bottom team next year or whatever but for the past 3 seasons weve been in the playoff spot for 80% of the season and then literally lose say 14 out 16 games to end of the season in two out of the last three seasons.

Theyve just simply broken records on how bad a team can be to end a season and they did it twice!!!

Its jsut sad that we can be a very competitive team on paper and on the ice most of the season, but we have a poor system, had a poor amount of character(disappeared or collapsed under pressure) and possibly a lack of leadership.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Superstars of that calibre don't leave their teams in their prime in the NHL. Last one I can think of is Chara.

Not sure I'd even call Chara a superstar at that point though, certainly not in the sense that Tavares and Stamkos are in their hypothetical UFA years. Real good sure, but not perennial Norris candidate quality at that point, his game developped into that in Beantown.

Brett Hull leaving for Dallas maybe as the last real example I can think off? Anyone else think of anyone?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
With our luck, Stamkos will become a UFA, want to come to Toronto, but the Leafs brass will try to lowball him, so he'll end up just re-signing in Tampa? :cry:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/steven-stamkos-as-a-leaf-less-of-a-long-shot-than-youd-think/

I'v been saying for a long time that signing Stamkos is our best chance at a cup in the near future, its never been a popular opinion around here. He is probably gonna re-sign with tampa but there is a chance he could come home to toronto. My reasons why he might sign in toronto are:
- He grew up a die hard leafs fan
- He spends his offseason here and has many friends and family here
- He has better endorsement opportunities here
- The leafs have a stronger young core than tampa (minus stamkos), and he would have a better chance of winning here. Im sure some will argue otherwise.
- Now we can add him favouring the tweet to this list.

Stamkos -> Field of dreams.

Leafs have a stronger young core?

Could we not just go the regular route and draft our own stars?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Stamkos is better and seems like he hypothetically would like to be here. Tavares is another Rick Nash who probably wants nothing to do with his hometown.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Remember that time that superstar free agent came to the Leafs in his prime?

Me neither.

Modern free agency allowing players to hit free agency 8 years after they enter the league didn't come into effect until 2005-06.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sidney-Crosby-Pittsburgh-Penguins.jpg

Look he's wearing a blue shirt!!! He obviously wants to be a Leaf !! It's gonna be awesome !!

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Is he going to get here before or after all the other guys who were going to come here when they made it to UFA?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We've been led down this road before, not all players want to play in Toronto, so I would temper my excitement. Hate for people to disappointed, favorited tweet is what Proteau is going on? See Jeffler and Dangle getting excited. Oh boy.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Not sure I'd even call Chara a superstar at that point though, certainly not in the sense that Tavares and Stamkos are in their hypothetical UFA years. Real good sure, but not perennial Norris candidate quality at that point, his game developped into that in Beantown.

Brett Hull leaving for Dallas maybe as the last real example I can think off? Anyone else think of anyone?

Ilya Kovalchuk?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Stamkos should stop delaying the inevitable and demand a Trade here now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad