Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I'm not against taking a punt on the guy but not over 9.5mill over 7
If we get Mathews its a hard pass imo
You will need one hell of a good defensive winger beside those two until Marner becomes a complete two way winger
Stamkos is below average defensively no matter which way you cut it

OV and Kane are below average defensively,don't want them either.By the way,Kane is over 26 and having his best season yet,don't want him,too old.Crosby has an injury history,he's washed up don't nned him.:laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fans are paranoid about the cap. If given the chance Buffalo will add Stamkos and that will be aprox 19 million against the cap long term between him and ROR over a year and no one will say a word about them.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
IMO

Team him up with a skilled winger like a marner or even a Nylander( if mathews is our 2 C) and all doubt about how elite he is will disappear.

Despite popular opinion, Stamkos' didn't use to need another elite winger to produce. Between 2010 and 2013-14, he averaged 2.47 points per sixty minutes (5 on 5) with MSL and 2.54 without. This year, he was at 1.69

What were Stamkos' stats with Kucherov this year?
1.06 PP/60 with Kucherov
1.90 PP/60 without Kucherov

But don't worry, guys, even though Stamkos' stats weren't better with MSL or with Kucherov, they'll be better with a player who has yet to play in the NHL. Why? *Reasons*

anyone who claims that they know anything about hockey and does not attribute Stamkos points/goal dip to replacing Martin Stloo for dubinsky or killorn as his line mates are utter morons, in my eyes.
Again, between 2010-11 and 2013-14, Stamkos averaged 2.47 points per sixty minutes (5 on 5) with MSL and 2.54 without. Back then, you could have replaced MSL with anyone and Stamkos' statistics would not go down. But you want to claim his decline in production is the result of missing MSL?

oh i disagree, i believe he has plenty of 50 goal , 90 point seasons ahead of him.

Just one player was able to score 50 this year, and he's arguably the best goal-scorer (adjusted for era) to have ever played. Four scored 40 or more. Just one player scored 90 or more. But don't worry, Stamkos has "lenty of 50 goal , 90 point seasons ahead of him."

What is a glaring omission is any kind of charting

showing the drop in production when high skilled players had and then lose other high skilled players as line mates.
Do your own work on an aging chart. Good look with that subjective criteria. Keep in mind that plenty of players add high-skilled players when they get older, which should make things even out. But, nitpick if you must without substantiating your critique.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
I agree. It's not like we were all twiddling our thumbs at what a two time 50 plus goal scorer in his prime is worth.
He's not scoring 50+ goals.
He's not in his prime.

If he were, there wouldn't be a ****ing discussion.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
OV and Kane are below average defensively,don't want them either.By the way,Kane is over 26 and having his best season yet,don't want him,too old.Crosby has an injury history,he's washed up don't nned him.:laugh:

Ovi has not won a cup last time I looked and Kane has one of the best defensive centers in the game playing on his team doing the heavy lifting
Kane has also not broken his leg and had blood clots either
Stamkos is not Crosby by any strech of any imagination and also is not going to be paid the same amount either

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
26-27 years old isnt your prime? OK
Age isn't everything, especially for a player with injuries and health concerns. Simply put, prime Stamkos is pre-knee injury Stamkos.
Look at the stats.

Corsi rel

PPG
1.19 (3rd)
1.08 (5th) d
0.88 (19th)
0.83 (31st)

Does he look as if he's coming into his prime or exiting it?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
26-27 years old isnt your prime? OK

The absolute cream of the crop goalscorers typically hit their prime around 22. Stamkos still has that incredible shot and drive, but he simply isnt the same player since his injury. If the Sabres acquire him then they will be absolutely dominant down the middle, and I think they will be among our main competition over the next few years.

How much are the Leafs willing to spend to not only acquire him, but to also keep him out of the hands of a rival? From a pure numbers standpoint I dont think Stammer will ever live up to a max contract, but the question is whether or not he's the right fit for this team at the right time?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The absolute cream of the crop goalscorers typically hit their prime around 22. Stamkos still has that incredible shot and drive, but he simply isnt the same player since his injury. If the Sabres acquire him then they will be absolutely dominant down the middle, and I think they will be among our main competition over the next few years.

How much are the Leafs willing to spend to not only acquire him, but to also keep him out of the hands of a rival? From a pure numbers standpoint I dont think Stammer will ever live up to a max contract, but the question is whether or not he's the right fit for this team at the right time?

Why are you talking about him living up to a max contract? Are you expecting someone to offer him an AAV of over $14M?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Despite popular opinion, Stamkos' didn't use to need another elite winger to produce. Between 2010 and 2013-14, he averaged 2.47 points per sixty minutes (5 on 5) with MSL and 2.54 without. This year, he was at 1.69

What were Stamkos' stats with Kucherov this year?
1.06 PP/60 with Kucherov
1.90 PP/60 without Kucherov

But don't worry, guys, even though Stamkos' stats weren't better with MSL or with Kucherov, they'll be better with a player who has yet to play in the NHL. Why? *Reasons*

Again, between 2010-11 and 2013-14, Stamkos averaged 2.47 points per sixty minutes (5 on 5) with MSL and 2.54 without. Back then, you could have replaced MSL with anyone and Stamkos' statistics would not go down. But you want to claim his decline in production is the result of missing MSL?

Just one player was able to score 50 this year, and he's arguably the best goal-scorer (adjusted for era) to have ever played. Four scored 40 or more. Just one player scored 90 or more. But don't worry, Stamkos has "lenty of 50 goal , 90 point seasons ahead of him."

Do your own work on an aging chart. Good look with that subjective criteria. Keep in mind that plenty of players add high-skilled players when they get older, which should make things even out. But, nitpick if you must without substantiating your critique.

oh look, imaging that

that 50 goal scorer is 30 years old , impossible i know, the stat and chart geeks must have missed something:laugh:

he also had a season of lowly numbers like 78gp 38g 27a 65,, 5 seasons ago

hrmmm i wonder what happened oh ya backstrom missed half the season , the only stretch where ovi has not had that elite C since 06/07

but keep yelling at the clouds, someone is bound to care one day:laugh:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Ovi has not won a cup last time I looked and Kane has one of the best defensive centers in the game playing on his team doing the heavy lifting
Kane has also not broken his leg and had blood clots either
Stamkos is not Crosby by any strech of any imagination and also is not going to be paid the same amount either

All nothing more than excuses to suit your mindset.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
The absolute cream of the crop goalscorers typically hit their prime around 22.
That's true, but Stamkos doesn't need to be scoring 60+ goals to be worth a sizeable contract.

He's considered to be having an "off-year" while scoring as many goals as Kessel did in a good year here, for perspective.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Maybe #43 and #44 signed for cheap because they were informed of the need for an extra couple of mill needed for a big FA signing.Their terms look surprisingly similar too.

Jun 27, 2005
Stamkos will probably be a disaster BUT, we have no choice. If we don't get Mathews we are without all the key spots and won't contend for a decade.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
All nothing more than excuses to suit your mindset.

Those are not excuses those are called facts
I deal in those
You are using excuses to suit your mindset
He has health problems fact
His production is declining fact
He is going to cost a fortune probable fact
I don't dislike the guy but at his current numbers he is worth 9mill
I don't believe in fairy tales where the guy magically starts scoring 90 points a season again and plays an above average defensive game
I want to pay the guy what his production says he should be paid not some sort of premium for **** that does not matter

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Stamkos will probably be a disaster BUT, we have no choice. If we don't get Mathews we are without all the key spots and won't contend for a decade.

How is signing a player whose contract would end before he's 32-33 a disaster? We would be lucky if Stamkos wants to play for the Leafs. We have all the cap space in the world and instead of screwing up and spending it on the wrong players we would for once be spending it on the right player.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

That is your reasoning to hand out a 10+ million dollar contract?
How do you know we won't get those types of players in the next few years there is more than 1 player in the draft
At 4 we could get Chychrun/Dubois how do you know they can't be that type of player?

Jun 27, 2005
That is your reasoning to hand out a 10+ million dollar contract?
How do you know we won't get those types of players in the next few years there is more than 1 player in the draft
At 4 we could get Chychrun/Dubois how do you know they can't be that type of player?

We're missing a 1C 1D and 1G. Where are they going to come from? Collecting late firsts and second rounders isn't going to fill those holes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're missing a 1C 1D and 1G. Where are they going to come from? Collecting late firsts and second rounders isn't going to fill those holes.

Most teams fill out their core positions from the draft these days.

Increasing the number of draft picks increases the chance you have of getting those desired players.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Those are not excuses those are called facts
I deal in those
You are using excuses to suit your mindset
He has health problems fact
His production is declining fact
He is going to cost a fortune probable fact
I don't dislike the guy but at his current numbers he is worth 9mill
I don't believe in fairy tales where the guy magically starts scoring 90 points a season again and plays an above average defensive game
I want to pay the guy what his production says he should be paid not some sort of premium for **** that does not matter

Your point is fine, but...

Cap space can be worked on.

You adjust cap space through your non-core pieces. Not by saving on superstars.

His range will be in that 10-10.5M region if we sign him. The question should be whether he is a good fit for the team or not. If yes, you sign him and then adjust through the other smaller pieces in the team.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well that sample of 21 games where he shot 26% is compelling.

You'd be surprised to learn that Stamkos is an unbelievable shooter, with a career shooting percentage of 17.2%. Even with that hot run, he ended the season with a shooting % under his career average.

He may have taken a little while to recover from that leg injury, but it looks like he was rounding back into his form as a top-5 forward in the world before the blood clots.

Heart

Jun 10, 2015
Should sign him to a 4 year max deal with a side agreement in place that he signs a very cap friendly 4 year deal in the summer of year 3. They can entice him with a pitch of "Give us 4 years to prove to you we are gonna build a great team around you then you give us the ability to add even more around you and build a perennial winner". Imagine Stamkos not on a 10 mill contract durning the most important years of our build but on a 6 mill contract

If money is important work on small details like giving him max money and signing bonus up front so his money guys can invest his money from year one on something that will add 5-10% of a return to his salary.

If legacy is important have a Stamkos Leaf sweater ready to go with the C on it durning the presentation. A photoshop picture of Stamkos in legends row beside Leaf greats. If he wins the cup in this city as the captain that is exactly where he'll be remembered forever. No city can pitch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad