Stamkos Discussion Thread - March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
http://www.thescore.com/news/943958

Friedman was the original source. Not sure what Friedman means "rejected isn't the right term to use"...well if he didn't accept it then he rejected it lol

All it says is that Stamkos rejected $8.5M contract. For all we know, Stamkos doesn't like TB anymore, and is just stalling. It is increasing looking like a very similar situation in Suter prior to him leaving Nashville.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
All it says is that Stamkos rejected $8.5M contract. For all we know, Stamkos doesn't like TB anymore, and is just stalling. It is increasing looking like a very similar situation in Suter prior to him leaving Nashville.

did suter sign for the same amount of money that Nashville offered? (legit. question)

like the only person who comes to mind who did that was Curtis Joseph when he signed with Detroit for the same term/yrs as Quinn offered him here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

well yeah didn't you ask for a source..there it is. I understand this may have been the initial offer but I'm not sure how much higher they're willing to go. I'll be shocked if TB goes to 10 when they clearly have 3-5 other guys to get locked up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who knows what Stamkos is thinking.

Maybe he looks at what Shanny, Lou, and Babs are doing, sees the door open for him to play for his hometown team...

Maybe he's willing to come here for less than 10M.

Maybe he's going to go where the money is.

We don't know.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
did suter sign for the same amount of money that Nashville offered? (legit. question)

like the only person who comes to mind who did that was Curtis Joseph when he signed with Detroit for the same term/yrs as Quinn offered him here.

Joseph's reasoning was all about the Cup. Stamkos is kind of different in that he's probably going to get a lot more money than TB is willing to offer.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I hope he signs here, it's been a really long time since Toronto had a proper first line center. I never realized how much Mats spoiled me. I grew up assuming it was easy to have a strong reliable first line center.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Joseph's reasoning was all about the Cup. Stamkos is kind of different in that he's probably going to get a lot more money than TB is willing to offer.

well that, and he really, was not a happy camper with Quinn after the Olympics, (remember?) that played into it somewhat. and it wasn't the scenario (of leaving) i was thinking about - but more of what Pyro had said in his example with Suter/Nashville/Minnesota.

Did Suter get more (or less) money? I honestly can't remember. it wouldnt surprise me if it was more, i just can't remember.

but Tampa can't really overpay here though.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
well that, and he really, was not a happy camper with Quinn after the Olympics, (remember?) that played into it somewhat. and it wasn't the scenario (of leaving) i was thinking about - but more of what Pyro had said in his example with Suter/Nashville/Minnesota.

Did Suter get more (or less) money? I honestly can't remember. it wouldnt surprise me if it was more, i just can't remember.

but Tampa can't really overpay here though.

Suter got way more term in Minnesota, like I'm sure Nashville was willing to pay but when a team offers you 13 years......Damn you take it. And with Cujo...that was such a cop out I can understand he was upset but he was complete trash. Once Brodeur went in the team turned it around. I remember the first game against Sweden and they got killed, Sundin/Alfie etc were beasts

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Suter got way more term in Minnesota, like I'm sure Nashville was willing to pay but when a team offers you 13 years......Damn you take it. And with Cujo...that was such a cop out I can understand he was upset but he was complete trash. Once Brodeur went in the team turned it around. I remember the first game against Sweden and they got killed, Sundin/Alfie etc were beasts

:laugh: exactly.

and thanks. well see then. there you go. it will be interesting then to say - if everyone has an average year of say 8.7m (or let's just go 9 - and TB matches at 9) - where he'd go.

but i will be amazed beyond all heaven if that were actually to happen.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
:laugh: exactly.

and thanks. well see then. there you go. it will be interesting then to say - if everyone has an average year of say 8.7m (or let's just go 9 - and TB matches at 9) - where he'd go.

but i will be amazed beyond all heaven if that were actually to happen.

I think Stamkos is going to go wherever gives him market value. Clearly 8.5 is low for him or he would've signed it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think Stamkos is going to go wherever gives him market value. Clearly 8.5 is low for him or he would've signed it.

but i think that's Pyro's point.
if all the market dictates is 8.5 - then it's clearly not that Tampa offered him a low offer, it's that he didn't want to be in Tampa.

now. i don't think that will be the market value, but i think it's that + other factors.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
hometown lovin'! :D

Yea, I am hoping Stamkos wants to play at home is why he is not signing a contract. We can use this as leverage to signing a cheaper contract.

If the reason is management, coaching or money, then we will have trouble singing him to a more manageable contract.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yea, I am hoping Stamkos wants to play at home is why he is not signing a contract. We can use this as leverage to signing a cheaper contract.

If the reason is management, coaching or money, then we will have trouble singing him to a more manageable contract.

I'll never forget what Babock said at his press conference. "We're going to bring Ontario boys home"

It's going to start with Stamkos.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There are a lot of players who are rumored to go home well before free agency who actually do end up going home. Vanek, Parise, Suter all ran back to Minnesota, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Joseph all came home to the Leafs. It's about time we revived that tradition.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
At the same time though the Parise/Suter signing with Minnesota sounds a lot like the LeBron/Bosh signing with Miami.

I am not so sure Minnesota gets either of them if the other didn't come. I think it was conditional on both and not just getting lucky with one.

I have a feeling that played into it big time. Like If Nashville was able to re-sign Suter and then pay Parise as well I think they would have both landed there but it seems clear they were both only interested in going to Minnesota together.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

i have forgotten - what is "manageable" for you?
I don't know if we'd really be in trouble if it is management/coaching, but obviously money we could be in trouble with

I honestly don't see who has the cap-space(or movability) to pay Stamkos the moon and not hurt their bottom line or their playoff aspirations

There are a lot of players who are rumored to go home well before free agency who actually do end up going home. Vanek, Parise, Suter all ran back to Minnesota, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Joseph all came home to the Leafs. It's about time we revived that tradition.

I think in terms of Vanek, Miinnesota is wishing he actually went back home instead of his old stomping grounds for school.

for the record, Minnesota missed the playoffs 4 straight years before Parise and Suter both signed with them.

yup. that they did. I mean maybe Stamkos wants to be the change he wants to see in this organization. a Lot of people seem to want to dismiss that, but it can be a v. powerful motivator.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
For me personally (and a lot on these boards) the idea of coming home and being the captain of the Leafs would do it for me. That would be enough, heck I wouldn't even need to be captain but that alone will have you remembered forever. And if you win a cup as captain?

I think being the captain of the Leafs and winning a cup with another organization would be in the same tier of accomplishments for me. Entering the HHOF as a Leaf would probably be a step up from both (which Stamkos can do).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
At the same time though the Parise/Suter signing with Minnesota sounds a lot like the LeBron/Bosh signing with Miami.

I am not so sure Minnesota gets either of them if the other didn't come. I think it was conditional on both and not just getting lucky with one.

I have a feeling that played into it big time. Like If Nashville was able to re-sign Suter and then pay Parise as well I think they would have both landed there but it seems clear they were both only interested in going to Minnesota together.

both had said that they talked about it a lot during the Olympics that they both wanted to go back to Minnesota.

(which really begs to question, that had to have been floated to ole Chuck. or whomever the GM was somehow. like I get that they were both the two headliners, but... ya get my meaning?)

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
both had said that they talked about it a lot during the Olympics that they both wanted to go back to Minnesota.

(which really begs to question, that had to have been floated to ole Chuck. or whomever the GM was somehow. like I get that they were both the two headliners, but... ya get my meaning?)

i'm more interested in knowing what the experts were thinking at the time (when parise and suter signed) of where they wanted to go. It's like guys like Dreger dismissing us since we suck, but a team like Minessota also sucked but still signed them. Stamkos is on a cup contending team, so you can assume winning is not the only thing on his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad