Stamkos Debate - PostDeadline 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anaheim?

Getz/perry= 17 million in cap

oh and they are running almost 8 million under the cap.

They don't get... Do not sign Clarkson's. It's not that hard. If you want a UFA get a home run like Stamkos and never again do that unless... It's another home run like Stamkos.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Stamkos isn't coming to Toronto because they don't want him. The days of parachuting in high priced saviours is over. That type of ineffective team building is what led to the current teardown... they're not going to muck it up by going back to old habits.

When's the last time Toronto had a competitive team with a solid core that they had drafted and/or developed themselves? You'd have to go back to the 1970s to find it, go back to the 1960s to find one that became champions. You build your own core, you bring in assorted pieces to compliment it. Those pieces are interchangeable year over year but the core stays your own until they age gracefully and are replaced by new core pieces you've developed yourself. Current Leafs management has no interest in Stamkos.

While I somewhat agree with what you said, whens the last time the league had a superstar become a UFA at age 26? This is uncharted territory.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anaheim?

Getz/perry= 17 million in cap

oh and they are running almost 8 million under the cap.

I expect a Stamkos Tavares duo to be in the 20-24 million range combined.

I'm also just not comfortable trying to build a contending team based around high priced UFAs.

Lets draft and develop for once. I'm on the fence about Stamkos - but getting two expensive UFAs would be a complete 180 from what the current management team has been builds towards.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Can stop the silliness regarding the mythical "Goals Down Across the League" ?

Here are the facts:

1paqs5.jpg

Minuscule decline and pretty consistent scoring league wide since he got in the NHL. In fact, today's numbers are better than 2001-2004 and in the latter 90's.

0.03 Goals per game is about 37 total goals less in a season… out of 1230 games played. Or 1 every 33+ games.

Myth busted.

oh pookie you can be so full of it when you try hard, ya know that ?

the difference between 2005/06 and 2015/16 pace is a 490 goal drop

Buffalo , Arizona, New Jersey combined for 494 total goals last year

thats 3 teams entire goal out put gone

ya that's no meaningful drop nawwww , the combined out put of 3 entire nhl franchises.

so ya, keep pushing your black magic.:laugh:

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

the difference between 2005/06 and 2015/16 pace is a 490 goal drop

thats 3 teams entire goal out put gone from the league.

ya that's no meaningful drop nawwww , the combined out put of 3 entire nhl franchises.

If you look more deeply... He is correct. 96-03

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I expect a Stamkos Tavares duo to be in the 20-24 million range combined.

I'm also just not comfortable trying to build a contending team based around high priced UFAs.

Lets draft and develop for once. I'm on the fence about Stamkos - but getting two expensive UFAs would be a complete 180 from what the current management team has been builds towards.

There are UFAs and then there are UFAs , it can't be a 180 menz, we have never had the chance at an elite UFA.

What ya don't do is waste Cap on middle of the road guys that want solid coin like lupul,dion and that ilk.

When the bona fides hit the market, no reason not to go for it.

The only thing holding the cap down is the CAD , if/when is improves, this cap is going to rocket up.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Did did did

stammer just get named as part of our (with out a doubt) top 9 forwards for team Canada?

naw, can't be:shakehead

#whodathunkit

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Stamkos isn't coming to Toronto because they don't want him. The days of parachuting in high priced saviours is over. That type of ineffective team building is what led to the current teardown... they're not going to muck it up by going back to old habits.

When's the last time Toronto had a competitive team with a solid core that they had drafted and/or developed themselves? You'd have to go back to the 1970s to find it, go back to the 1960s to find one that became champions. You build your own core, you bring in assorted pieces to compliment it. Those pieces are interchangeable year over year but the core stays your own until they age gracefully and are replaced by new core pieces you've developed yourself. Current Leafs management has no interest in Stamkos.

Who is the comparable to Stamkos you are referring to?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We are on the same page on a topic ACC?

This this is most unsettling, indeed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I still hope we get Tavares instead of him...I like stamkos and he wants to be here and all but damn. Tavares is the style of player you want, to win championships.

But Tavares is having a terrible statistical season and is another torn MCL away from retirement. Am I doing this right?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The math is right there wave

2005/6----3.08

2015/16---2.69

a difference of .40

.40 x 1230 =492

see the trick pookie is trying to play is filter out the numbers over the vastness, dilute it , in a way. At first glance .40 looks like didly.

But when one realises that amounts to 3 entire franchises combined from last year,well.

3 is 10% of the leagues teams , that's a serious shift in the league

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But Tavares is having a terrible statistical season and is another torn MCL away from retirement. Am I doing this right?

I have a fishing buddy and we like to keep enough for shore lunch.

He used to toss back "keepers" if we caught them early in the trip , always saying "we will catch more".

I kept my "keepers" from catch 1 , after a couple of fishing trips where we only had my fish to eat and me pointing that out

well, he finally caught the drift.

When you can catch a "keeper" put that sucker on your stringer, 1 less catch to worry about.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have a fishing buddy and we like to keep enough for shore lunch.

He used to toss back "keepers" if we caught them early in the trip , always saying "we will catch more".

I kept my "keepers" from catch 1 , after a couple of fishing trips where we only had my fish to eat and me pointing that out

well, he finally caught the drift.

When you can catch a "keeper" put that sucker on your stringer, 1 less catch to worry about.

So what you're saying is Seguin 2019? :laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Is there an argument to be made against the Leafs even being interested in Stamkos?

They've gone real scorched earth so far, surely adding a player in his prime goes against the plan?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The math is right there wave

2005/6----3.08
2015/16---2.69

a difference of .40

.40 x 1230 =492

see the trick pookie is trying to play is filter out the numbers over the vastness, dilute it , in a way. At first glance .40 looks like didly.

But when one realises that amounts to 3 entire franchises combined from last year,well.

3 is 10% of the leagues teams , that's a serious shift in the league

And 2003/4 was 2.57 so what are we to make of that?

Or we could look at when Stamkos scored his 60 goals, then we were at 2.73. Then in subsequent years, we had 2.72, 2.74, 2.73 before the "game-changing" drop to 2.69. :laugh:

2005/6 was an outlier that jumps off the page.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And 2003/4 was 2.57 so what are we to make of that?

Or we could look at when Stamkos scored his 60 goals, then we were at 2.73. Then in subsequent years, we had 2.72, 2.74, 2.73 before the "game-changing" drop to 2.69. :laugh:

2005/6 was an outlier that jumps off the page.

We shouldn't actually use those numbers though, because they are goals for averages by team per game instead of goals scored per game. Or at least if we use them, call them what they really are.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
GN

even a sublime looking .10 drop

is almost enough to wipe out the goal totals of a few franchises last year.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

the difference between 2005/06 and 2015/16 pace

What are you on about that for? Stamkos came into the league in 2008/09

is a 490 goal drop

thats 3 teams entire goal out put gone

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...nets-goaltender-goalie-equipment-analysis-shl

Your total goals thing is interesting in that you picked the year following the lock out, in which penalties were almost double and the most number of goals scored ever since 1990.

If we want to pick outliers, I could highlight that in 1997 there were 5,697 total goals scored. In 2014, there were almost +850 more goals scored (6,549).

The facts are that goal scoring is a flat line for the most part over the last 6-7 years and it's up from where it was pre-lock out (2001-2004) and even then… it's pretty consistent.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We shouldn't actually use those numbers though, because they are goals for averages by team per game instead of goals scored per game. Or at least if we use them, call them what they really are.

oh wait, maybe I am doing this math wrong

if it's a drop of .40 per game, per team

then my 490 drop is actually 980?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad