Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
So he isn't worth 10M+ then right?
expected-contract-dollar-by-war-range.jpg

Sounds like what I was arguing the whole time. Don't pay him for his massive years (what some people want to do) and pay him for what he is doing now (eg. Less than or = to 10M)

Although this WAR/GAR stuff isn't really done that well. As someone mentioned in your other thread, Bergeron's faceoff ability alone was more valuable than Gardiner alone.

That in and off itself is something that comes down to how much you want to accept certain stats relevance. There's a lot of advanced stat work that has gone into faceoff's that are starting to show that the actual effect winning has on a game is more minimal than has been previously assumed. Personally I'm not sure how much I accept the premise but it's intriguing to think about.

The whole issue on signing Stamkos comes down to two factors that can't be determined, only assumed.

1) What his future production will be.

He's on pace for his lowest full season total since being a rookie (lockout season and injured season excluded, he was over a PPG for both). That represents three straight seasons of falling points per game percentage. Also has seen a drop in goals per game from 55, to 43 to 36. Yet he's only just turned 26, he was 2nd in goals in the league last season, and he's currently 8th in goals in the league. His team has seen a steep drop in goals per game, yet he's still leading his team in points. 26 isn't usually a magically dropoff point for elite level scorers, and we've seen elite scorers go through periods like this before only to jump up and score at higher levels (IE Ovie). There's an argument to be made that he still hasn't fully recovered from breaking his leg and could continue to see improvement in that next year. Elite scorers also tend to play well into their early 30's, and if he signs any contract it's unlikely he'll hit 30 and drop off dramatically.

and

2) What his yearly AAV will be.

It's almost impossible to know what he'll sign for, because the year's he can be offered will change the way he gets a contract compared to past high profile UFA's. His rights could be acquired too and if a team can add an extra year to the deal, that would change things. Plus we've recently seen others like Toews and Kane signing deals under the new rules that basically change how contracts should be viewed. ROR without any history of high end production getting 7.5 million. Before the limit on contract years that contract would have been universally criticized. Now it's going to represent much more of the norm. Star players like Kopitar, Kane, Getzlaf, Kessel etc are pushing up values to 8/9/10 million dollar numbers. That's likely going to be closer to the norm for stars. Also is it logical to assume that he'll demand a max contract? I'm not sure. A down year offensively certainly would be used by teams to try and bring that down. He also might want to give the team he is going to some flexibility so they can build a better team. We can't really say which way he'll go because we've literally never seen a star like this hit free agency before, especially under this type of cap paradigm.

It comes down to what side of those two issues you're one.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Lou on the Leafs roster next year in Friedman's 30 thoughts:

"...And I’m sure you’ll see acquisitions that hopefully we’re able to make."

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
^ going to be a .500 or better team next year. The President of Hockey at Rogers said so.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Do you have an explanation for what is causing this trend? Could it be that top end players just aren't as "top end" today as they used to be?

I would guess that teams are focusing their ddefensive efforts more closely on the elite type players.eg:double cverage on said players and giving the less likely scorers more space.It's hard to get the puck to a guy with 2 men on him.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
So if top level players are trending down... which would be a strange hypothesis to prove as young talent is on the upside while older talent is on the downside... why would the Leafs pay the most expensive price in the league for one?

See post #914 for an explanation of my premise.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would guess that teams are focusing their ddefensive efforts more closely on the elite type players.eg:double cverage on said players and giving the less likely scorers more space.It's hard to get the puck to a guy with 2 men on him.

Yeah maybe, I'm skeptical though. It's not like shutting down elite players is a new idea, I'm sure teams were trying to do it before as well.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Yeah maybe, I'm skeptical though. It's not like shutting down elite players is a new idea, I'm sure teams were trying to do it before as well.

Coaches weren't pulling goalies with 3 minutes left either.Maybe they have found out double coverage works?

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Yeah, I think it's just a byproduct of better 3rd/4th liners and letting interference go uncalled. Intereference isn't going to slow down greasy net-front goals, but it's certainly going to disrupt a lot of skilled passing plays.

It'd be interesting to compare player usage too, top lines are being used more defensively than I remember 5-10 years ago. I may be off, but Sundin wasn't used in as much of a shutdown role as Towes/Kopitar today was he? Letting your top line draw even against the opponents top competition and letting your secondary scoring feast on whatever's left over seems like a relatively recent trend.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I guess it is kind of off topic but yet still on topic (try to view this from a non-Stamkos POV) but if the 3rd/4th liners are producing more and thus causing the 1st/2nd line players to produce less than shouldn't the 3rd/4th liners be getting the pay increase compared to the 1st/2nd liners?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess it is kind of off topic but yet still on topic (try to view this from a non-Stamkos POV) but if the 3rd/4th liners are producing more and thus causing the 1st/2nd line players to produce less than shouldn't the 3rd/4th liners be getting the pay increase compared to the 1st/2nd liners?

I'm going to say no.

The competitive advantage teams have is to ice really cheap and productive 3rd and 4th liners or guys who can mix and match in the middle 6, top 9, with their more expensive star players. Once those guys start asking for big money (aka like a Kadri now or Grabovski and Bozak previously) that puts them in top 6 or first line money, then you have to take a long hard look at whether you want to keep them, or move them along.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
leafs already said they are planning on offering him 10 mill plus come free agency and might pair him up with nylander

Yeah um no, they can't say that.

And if the price of Kopitar is $80m guaranteed, $10m (or $70m total) isn't going to seal the deal.

It's 11-12/season if you want to play.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Yeah um no, they can't say that.

And if the price of Kopitar is $80m guaranteed, $10m (or $70m total) isn't going to seal the deal.

It's 11-12/season if you want to play.

and you can't say that either.You have absolutely no proof as to any salary expectations of Stamkos.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
and you can't say that either.You have absolutely no proof as to any salary expectations of Stamkos.

Proof. The internet Forum go to phrase.

No one has proof of anything. At least, last I checked Newport didn't call my home office line so I know I don't.

What I do know is what Kopitar signed for. Do you think it's logical that Stamkos wants more or less than Kopitar?

As for the Leafs saying they would sign him for 10m, that's not a question of logic. It's a question of Tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad