Stamkos Debate - PostDeadline 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
One way we got some picks this year was moving some of our players and taking salary back. Won't Stamkos 10.5-12 million CAP HIT hinder that ability ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Stamkos has an 11ish million cap hit the a leafs salary cap situation will still be fine for the next few seasons, it's the 3+ ones that are a concern.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You guys cmon I really want Stamkos as well but not for 10 million on a long term deal. I can't believe anyone will offer that and if they did I'd think he'd take a million less to play for us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You guys cmon I really want Stamkos as well but not for 10 million on a long term deal. I can't believe anyone will offer that and if they did I'd think he'd take a million less to play for us.

Why sign Stamkos for $10 million when you can have Vrbata and Boedker combined for $11 million!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oversimplified to the point of uselessness.

Goals are down considerably among the leagues top scorers. Coaches are mixing their best players into their 2nd and 3rd lines, which reduces the production of the very good players who were formerly paired with other very good players on the top lines. 4th liners are also getting played more minute, which cuts into the ice time of everyone else.

It's not that the average goals scored is dropping, it's that the variance is dropping, making seasons of 60/70/80+ points much more impressive than they were in the past.

Hmm… useless…. well, let's examine the argument shall we?

Scoring is clearly not down across the NHL.

Your hypothesis is that it is down amongst the league's top scorers as a result of the team utilizing more players across minutes and distributing the offense.

Meaning that the variance is dropping between the top players and the bottom players… presumably as a result of these systems/utilization.

Correct?

So if scoring isn't down across the NHL and scoring IS down amongst the top scorers, then presumably it is the middle of the pack player that is making up the difference.

Correct?

So if they are filling the gap… and the net apparently… why in the hell would any team load up their cap on a single player that will produce with only a slight variance to a middle of the pack player??

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Is it worth trading for Stamkos after this season so that we can sign him to an 8-year contract instead of a 7 year contract, that is the limit for players signed from free agency?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
u would have to put a contender together if u get stamkos
u get a guy like that to win now
we'd have to get a top 2 d
does kadri plus Pitts 1st get u someone like shattenkirk?
Burke probably does that but I doubt shanny and co. want to mortgage significant future assets

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is it worth trading for Stamkos after this season so that we can sign him to an 8-year contract instead of a 7 year contract, that is the limit for players signed from free agency?

I'm not really in a hurry to get him the 8th year, but if Tampa wants to recuperate something at the draft and make that sign and trade so we can get out from under Bozak, and we throw in a surplus B prospect and a 2nd round pick (sort of like getting anything back for St. Louis) I'd be willing to look into it.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I honestly do not want Stamkos. I love him and would love to have him in a Leafs jersey, but not anything above 8.9m. Plus he will want longterm and that constrains us with the emergence of Nylander, Rielly, Marner, 2016 pick etc.. Amongst the many other prospects that will flush through our system. I feel as though this process is just for media attention and I doubt it will happen

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And that's precisely why I don't want to sign stamkos to anything significant. Stay the course.

And I totally understand where you're coming from. If we can get him for a fair price though, how can you not do it? So the question becomes (for me anyway), what's a fair price? To answer that question, you have to be able to take a pretty good educated guess as to how he's going to perform over the next 7 years, now that' tough to do (with all due respect to all those that say "it's Steven freaking Stamkos for crissakes"). All I can say is that we seem to have a good management team in place so hopefully they'll make a smart decision.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I honestly do not want Stamkos. I love him and would love to have him in a Leafs jersey, but not anything above 8.9m. Plus he will want longterm and that constrains us with the emergence of Nylander, Rielly, Marner, 2016 pick etc.. Amongst the many other prospects that will flush through our system. I feel as though this process is just for media attention and I doubt it will happen

They haven't emerged, and may not ever emerge.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
They haven't emerged, and may not ever emerge.

I know the former and the latter.

But considering that these players are projected to be top 6 players or of some sort of deserving value, i'd keep my money and focus on developing them. Yeah, some may not 'emerge' but the chances they will are too risky to put the organization in constraining circumstances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

But considering that these players are projected to be top 6 players or of some sort of deserving value, i'd keep my money and focus on developing them. Yeah, some may not 'emerge' but the chances they will are too risky to put the organization in constraining circumstances.

Every few days I have to cut and paste this:

Forward 1: $11 million
Forward 2: $8 million
Forward 3: $7 million
Forward 4: $5 million
Forward 5: $4 million
Forward 6: $2.5 million
Forward 7: $2.5 million
Forward 8: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 9: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 10: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 11: $900,000 ELC
Forward 12: $900,000 ELC

Defenseman 1: $8 million
Defenseman 2 $6 million
Defenseman 3 $5 million
Defenseman 4 $3 million
Defenseman 5 $2 million
Defenseman 6 $2 million Veteran
Defenseman 7 $900,000 ELC

Goalie 1: $6 million
Goalie 2: $1 million

Remember when Kadri came up in his first training camp and looked like a man possessed and the niftiest scorer ever? Seven years after his draft, he's still a second liner and makes less than $4.5 million. You can't count your chickens before they hatch and it's a difficult argument to make to pass on a great player because you have prospects.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Does a Stamkos hurt of help their development? A lot of contracts fall off by the time those guys are up for renewal,

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Every few days I have to cut and paste this:

Forward 1: $11 million
Forward 2: $8 million
Forward 3: $7 million
Forward 4: $5 million
Forward 5: $4 million
Forward 6: $2.5 million
Forward 7: $2.5 million
Forward 8: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 9: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 10: $1.5 million Veteran Project
Forward 11: $900,000 ELC
Forward 12: $900,000 ELC

Defenseman 1: $8 million
Defenseman 2 $6 million
Defenseman 3 $5 million
Defenseman 4 $3 million
Defenseman 5 $2 million
Defenseman 6 $2 million Veteran
Defenseman 7 $900,000 ELC

Goalie 1: $6 million
Goalie 2: $1 million

Remember when Kadri came up in his first training camp and looked like a man possessed and the niftiest scorer ever? Seven years after his draft, he's still a second liner and makes less than $4.5 million.

I never thought Kadri would be more than a 2nd liner. Adding Stamkos tests the patience of management with the rebuild and I think it would be wrong to pay him any more than 9mil.

What happens if our excellent management and coaching staff develops great players and Stamkos does not live up to his 9m-12m contract (which I am pessimistic about). You are stuck with a poor contract and we lose important role players.

All in all, I love Stamkos, but not in TO. I want this team to be built from the ground up without help from a big FA splash. I am tired of this organization paying players outrageous money and we didn't even develop them in our own system. This is a step back in my opinion.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our young players coming up are all going to be under team control for several years. If we sign Stamkos to a long term deal at a 10 million dollar cap hit, it won't necessarily hinder our ability to keep our young core together for the duration of his contract.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Does a Stamkos hurt of help their development? A lot of contracts fall off by the time those guys are up for renewal,

I don't think he helps or hurts the development. But I think it will constrain the organization during a time where we will need to manage our budget to make a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad