SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Current Hounds playoff experience
26 games - Hayes, G
19 games - Frasca
15 games - Beck
10 games - D'Intino
10 games - Allard
10 games - Kudryavtsev
10 games - BMB
10 games - Mignosa
10 games - Cloutier
9 games - Carlisle
9 games - DeZoete
7 games - Fantino

0 games - Schenkel
0 games - Karki
0 games - Gibson
0 games - everyone else

I realize there is a covid year in there, but it's not a heck of a lot for most of the players. Probably Sudbury is the only "contender" this season with less experience through their lineup.

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
26 games - Hayes, G
19 games - Frasca
15 games - Beck
10 games - D'Intino
10 games - Allard
10 games - Kudryavtsev
10 games - BMB
10 games - Mignosa
10 games - Cloutier
9 games - Carlisle
9 games - DeZoete
7 games - Fantino

0 games - Schenkel
0 games - Karki
0 games - Gibson
0 games - everyone else

I realize there is a covid year in there, but it's not a heck of a lot for most of the players. Probably Sudbury is the only "contender" this season with less experience through their lineup.
How does this compare to teams like London/Saginaw/Kitchener?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Soo played 0 playoff games in 2023 and 10 playoff games in 2022
Kitchener played 9 playoff games in 2023 and 12 playoff games in 2022
Saginaw played 11 playoff games in 2023 and 0 playoff games in 2022
London played 21 playoff games in 2023 and 7 playoff games in 2022

Without checking each and every player, I expect London and Kitchener have more experience, and Saginaw has probably close to the same, or maybe a bit more since their postseason was last year not 2 years ago.

Last edited:

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
26 games - Hayes, G
19 games - Frasca
15 games - Beck
10 games - D'Intino
10 games - Allard
10 games - Kudryavtsev
10 games - BMB
10 games - Mignosa
10 games - Cloutier
9 games - Carlisle
9 games - DeZoete
7 games - Fantino

0 games - Schenkel
0 games - Karki
0 games - Gibson
0 games - everyone else

Battalion have 199 gmes of playoff experience

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Brantford the hottest team in the O right now, on a current streak of 6-0-1-0 with honerable mentions going to London (4-0-0-0), Ottawa (3-0-0-1), and Soo (3-0-0-0). Soo needs to keep it up and get a little help if they want to catch Saginaw. Saginaw 4 points ahead and only one head-to-head game remains.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brantford the hottest team in the O right now, on a current streak of 6-0-1-0 with honerable mentions going to London (4-0-0-0), Ottawa (3-0-0-1), and Soo (3-0-0-0). Soo needs to keep it up and get a little help if they want to catch Saginaw. Saginaw 4 points ahead and only one head-to-head game remains.
I'd almost rather be behind them, given the total domination that we have displayed in Saginaw.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's like the twilight zone tonight. Only two games on tap and the top team from each conference losing (by point %). Thought Feb 29 was tomorrow

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It's like the twilight zone tonight. Only two games on tap and the top team from each conference losing (by point %). Thought Feb 29 was tomorrow
Sudbury keeps going to Vondras when Vandenberg has been so much better. I don't really understand.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A little concerned about the upcoming draft in a little over a month. Hounds will be picking towards the end of the first round. Raftis does not gave a great track record with his late first round picks. You have to go all the way back to 2018 to find a good one (O'Rourke). But you also have Fowler, Holmes, Cloutier, Brown mixed in there. A lot easier when you pick early (BMB, Martin).

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
A little concerned about the upcoming draft in a little over a month. Hounds will be picking towards the end of the first round. Raftis does not gave a great track record with his late first round picks. You have to go all the way back to 2018 to find a good one (O'Rourke). But you also have Fowler, Holmes, Cloutier, Brown mixed in there. A lot easier when you pick early (BMB, Martin).
Holmes and Cloutier aren't the best examples of 'bad picks. If Cloutier continues to grow, they are kind of what you expect from a late first. Fowler was the best of them all, but had serious health issues. I do agree that Brown is looking like a poor selection.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
When you pick in the first round you need to get an impact player. Sure, you can miss occasionally, but that should be the exception and not the rule.

Your first round pick should be impacting the game at 18. Fowler was close, but not quite there. I'm not saying Raftis picked kids who shouldn't be in the OHL, but I am questioning the impact of those players.

If the Greyhounds aspire to build a program the competes year in and year out, the need to hit on a much higher percentage of late first round picks.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
When you pick in the first round you need to get an impact player. Sure, you can miss occasionally, but that should be the exception and not the rule.

Your first round pick should be impacting the game at 18. Fowler was close, but not quite there. I'm not saying Raftis picked kids who shouldn't be in the OHL, but I am questioning the impact of those players.

If the Greyhounds aspire to build a program the competes year in and year out, the need to hit on a much higher percentage of late first round picks.
To be fair London has struggled with this issue as well. They have traded a number of their late 1st round picks because they have struggled to make their roster.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
To be fair London has struggled with this issue as well. They have traded a number of their late 1st round picks because they have struggled to make their roster.
I would rather trade a player picked in the first round for the returns London gets, than develop them into a 3rd line winger.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Holmes and Cloutier aren't the best examples of 'bad picks. If Cloutier continues to grow, they are kind of what you expect from a late first. Fowler was the best of them all, but had serious health issues. I do agree that Brown is looking like a poor selection.

I’ve been hard on Brown for sure but there is no denying he has improved these last couple weeks and he shouldn’t be on C anymore. He’s been playing fantastic, he is the reason Dezeote scores that goal against Rangers. He’s a big undersized but I’ve noticed he’s finding his way with that size. If he can continue this upward trajectory in development, he could be come very effective.

Outside of Zayne Parekh is there anyone picked after Brown that makes you feel like wow we really dropped the ball here? Maybe Pitre? Knowing what we know maybe Frasca? Brown had 60 points in his draft year in just 46 games, he finished 10th overall in points in his league. I don’t think it’s fair to say Raftis selected the wrong player at the time, I think it’s more that Brown is just taking more time to develop than usual. If Brown was a top 10 pick, I’d be more concerned about it, in my opinion.

Players selected after Brown had significantly less, including Parekh. You can’t predict these things. You think Saginaw is sitting there going “Yup, THIS is why we picked Zayne Parekh” today?

The Parekh thing is interesting because I’ve heard his mother is from the Soo..

IMG_4364.jpeg
IMG_4365.jpeg

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I’ve been hard on Brown for sure but there is no denying he has improved these last couple weeks and he shouldn’t be on C anymore. He’s been playing fantastic, he is the reason Dezeote scores that goal against Rangers. He’s a big undersized but I’ve noticed he’s finding his way with that size. If he can continue this upward trajectory in development, he could be come very effective.

Outside of Zayne Parekh is there anyone picked after Brown that makes you feel like wow we really dropped the ball here? Maybe Pitre? Knowing what we know maybe Frasca? Brown had 60 points in his draft year in just 46 games, he finished 10th overall in points in his league. I don’t think it’s fair to say Raftis selected the wrong player at the time, I think it’s more that Brown is just taking more time to develop than usual. If Brown was a top 10 pick, I’d be more concerned about it, in my opinion.

Players selected after Brown had significantly less, including Parekh. You can’t predict these things. You think Saginaw is sitting there going “Yup, THIS is why we picked Zayne Parekh” today?

View attachment 827005View attachment 827006
You could have drafted Liam Greentree, Windsor got him in the 2nd at #34 overall,he is the highest scoring forward 06 born in the league.

Reactions: HF92

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
And I think this goes to the deeper point: You don't win or lose a draft in round 1. Rounds 2 and beyond are where you truly set yourself up to succeed or not.
To your point,Windsor drafted Christoforo in the 1st,Greentree in the 2nd Spellacy in the 3rd,and Cole Davis in the 4th.
The Hounds Martin in the 1st,a goalie in the 2nd name escapes me Brodie McConnell Barker in the 3rd and Kostov in the 3rd .

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Funny thing is, we seem to be better with our 2nd round picks than we are with our late first round picks. Last 4 years we picked 3 times in the 2nd round: Hayes, Miller, Mignosa.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

There were several better players available obviously, there offen is at that point where teams select the BPA for their team (NB - Procyszyn). But if point production was the only factor, K.He was over looked.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Greentree and He for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA