News Article: Sportsnet: Trouba Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wanting to play on his natural side might be the flimsiest reason for demanding a trade in the history of hockey. Clearly it's more than that.

Remember when Trouba was heading into his sophomore season and he said he was shutting down his Twitter account and wanted his followers to download some Jacob Trouba app from Bauer or something? That probably went over like a lead balloon in terms of number of downloads. So his brand managers conclude he needs to be in a big US city to capitalize on his fame, not some backwater in the Canadian hinterland. And here we are.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Trouba is well within his rights to do this if it's best for him. And Chevy is well within his rights to hold out for an appropriate deal, even if it means Trouba doesn't play in the NHL this year.

As a season ticket holder who spends ~$13K per year, I have no problem with Chevy playing hardball, if for no other reason than to demonstrate to other young players that he isn't a doormat.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The ones that have a 'hunch' (based on nothing) that he doesn't want to be on the Jets or doesn't like Winnipeg.

Yes, they haven't because there's not a shred of evidence to support that vs all of the evidence that completely backs up what his agent said about usage. :laugh:

Jacob Trouba is a 22 year old defenseman who has proven pretty much jack squat. He's coming off his ELC for goodness sake. Trouba has to suck it up, play where he's told to and kick ass at it. This generation seems to want what they want without earning it.

He can kick rocks afaic.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wanting to play on his natural side might be the flimsiest reason for demanding a trade in the history of hockey. Clearly it's more than that.

Remember when Trouba was heading into his sophomore season and he said he was shutting down his Twitter account and wanted his followers to download some Jacob Trouba app from Bauer or something? That probably went over like a lead balloon in terms of number of downloads. So his brand managers conclude he needs to be in a big US city to capitalize on his fame, not some backwater in the Canadian hinterland. And here we are.

I love your first paragraph. And his brand managers are his parents

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Trouba is well within his rights to do this if it's best for him. And Chevy is well within his rights to hold out for an appropriate deal, even if it means Trouba doesn't play in the NHL this year.

As a season ticket holder that spends ~$13K per year, I have no problem with Chevy playing hardball, if for no other reason than to demonstrate to other young players that he isn't a doormat.

Sadly sponsors other P1 ticket holders, Buff, Little, and Wheels won't share your opinion. Troubas return will drop to Nikushkin levels if he sits out a whole year and Jets D will,be atrocious.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Funny how quick he's suddenly a punk, brat etc. Fickle fans we are.

If playing in the US is truly the reason I'm surprised that didn't come up earlier or even in draft interviews. If it's usage then we know who caused that.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I'm really disappointed management is choosing Myers over Trouba. IF that is what they're doing.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
He certainly has had a lot more bone headed plays last year than he did in his rookie year.

Unfortunately Corsi doesn't show that.

That's definitely not true. In his rookie season he played a risk riddled game that burnt him often. He has shifted to higher percentage plays in recent years

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Sadly sponsors other P1 ticket holders, Buff, Little, and Wheels won't share your opinion. Troubas return will drop to Nikushkin levels if he sits out a whole year and Jets D will,be atrocious.

What's your solution? Trade him ASAP for the best you can get and set the precedent that all an RFA has to do is demand a trade and 'voila', your wish is my command.

I'm not saying to sit him for spite. I'm saying wait for a good deal that is in the best interest of the WINNIPEG JETS. If Trouba sits, so be it. He's played all his cards. Now the ball is in Chevy's court.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010

He's a hockey player. No better place to build a brand than in Canada. Is he going to build one playing in Las Vegas? Even in a place like New York he'll be completely overshadowed.

In America, he's a defenseman who doesn't get a lot of points. How would he ever get attention?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba is a good player but I don't think he's great. What I get from his quotes is he's all about Jacob Trouba and not about the team. I think that's a toxic attitude. You can't have players who think they are above the team. I also get the sense he wants out of Winnipeg and there is nothing... not even trading Myers, that can solve it. Bottom line in my opinion. .. he wants out. If not he'd be offer sheeted but he knows the Jets would match. It's not about usage... it's not about being an rhd or LHD or whatever. ... it's about not wanting to be in Winnipeg.

Agree with the bolded. Pretty flimsy excuse.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
As Trouba has done what he thought he needed to do, we need to be patient and do what's right for us. We can't keep all our RHD (including Trouba) in the expansion draft. Trouba is not a LHD and looked uncomfortable playing there last season. Next years draft is weak. I don't want picks.

It would be great to get one or two promising LHD that aren't exposed to the expansion draft. The main players are with Philly (Ivan Provorov and Travis Sanheim), Carolina (Noah Hanifin), Columbus (Zach Werenski). I also see a multi-player trade.

Should be interesting. I have faith in Chevy!

SnepstStach

Apr 18, 2015
Winnipeg
He never had any intentions on staying, he hired that agent to get him out of here.
Remember the price they ran on him last year, he had no furniture in his condo, he was never staying, Winnipeg was never home.
Trade him, making him sit just plays into a pissing contest.
We're a small market team, it comes with the territory.
Some players will be happy here some won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad