GDT: Spidey Keeps Rolling! Devils @ Red Wings, 7 PM, MSG+ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
He also makes a ton of mistakes, which is why that gets focused on a lot.
I'm one of those that thinks severson is often overrated. But he was damn good last night.

What makes him overrated to me is that he is highly inconsistent, and even when he is on his game he's a #2 or maybe 3 d-man on a talented defensive core. Some people talk about him like he's a legit #1 or something.

Reactions: JK3

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I'm one of those that thinks severson is often overrated. But he was damn good last night.

What makes him overrated to me is that he is highly inconsistent, and even when he is on his game he's a #2 or maybe 3 d-man on a talented defensive core. Some people talk about him like he's a legit #1 or something.
Errrrr...what?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
that backhand was disgusting to be honest

Yeah it was nasty good.
He also did have a SOG that the scorekeeper missed when he was out there with Hall.

Travis 12-6 on faceoffs
Boyle 10-10
Rico 0-4
Coleman 6-9
Nico 2-3

I just remembered that Nico bolted back in OT and prevented I think Larkin from getting off a good SOG and allowing Kink to pokecheck.

Nico showed tremendous hustle, hockey sense and speed there in OT.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That play by Nico was clutch and I'm sure helped slow Larkin down enough that Kinkaid could commit to the pokecheck.

For him to skate as far as he did to catch up to one of the fastest skaters in the game was really, really impressive.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We need to understand the situation when we get the 2 goal lead.

1. First shift after we score, double the intensity. And get the puck deep.

2. Failing to get the puck deep, instead turning it over at their blue line, cost us both tying goals. Miles Wood on the first turnover especially guilty. Benching offense. Get it deep. Instead they've got the odd man rush the other way. Second turnover, Bratt and Hall, more of a random thing. But we didn't need that risky play, the drop pass just inside their blue line, right then.

Play situational hockey when you get the 2 goal lead in the 3d period.

Drop pass was fine. Hall just has to either be more careful there to make sure the puck doesn't go the other way quickly. That and get off the ice when he was clearly gassed and barely making it up the ice.

If Hall was fresh, he would've took the puck and used his speed to create some separation. Instead, he tried to dangle because he was gassed and it backfired.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I’ve never seen a Devil’s player as under appreciated as Damon Severson. He’s 23 and playing at an elite level. He’s one of the engines that drives this offense.

He's not playing at an elite level

He makes some really good plays and some really bad plays. Some nights he is a defensive liability and hurts the team and other nights he connects real well.

Inconsistant in the best way to describe Severson.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He's not playing at an elite level

He makes some really good plays and some really bad plays. Some nights he is a defensive liability and hurts the team and other nights he connects real well.

Inconsistant in the best way to describe Severson.
This is just false. He’s been playing at an elite level for weeks. Every player makes mistakes, including the best players in the NHL. Severson just has that narrative attatched to him so people harp on his errors. Santini makes way more mistakes than Severson and people act like he’s Stevens in the defensive zone.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m a huge Severson supporter but calling his play elite is just as wrong as the fans who call for him to be benched or traded. There’s no need to be 100% on either end of the spectrum here. He has no elite traits to his game and that’s fine, he is a good 2 way defender. A #2/3 defenseman.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It isn’t an exaggeration to say he’s playing at an elite level. He’s playing at a higher level than most guys that people here cream themselves over at the thought of signing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Haven't seen a bonehead pass in his own end from Sev's in awhile's, which has been my biggest critique.

And he's played a pretty physical game this season.

Would like to see him produce more offense, but overall really like where he is at right now. Should continue to improve as well. A little more offense, and a little more physicality and I think Elite would be a fair description.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Drop pass was fine. Hall just has to either be more careful there to make sure the puck doesn't go the other way quickly. That and get off the ice when he was clearly gassed and barely making it up the ice.

If Hall was fresh, he would've took the puck and used his speed to create some separation. Instead, he tried to dangle because he was gassed and it backfired.
Whatever you want to pin the exact issue on, can't turn the puck over just inside the blue line leading to a rush the other way. Just like the Wood play, and just like the Hall turnover that happened in between these 2 plays.

Certainly not when leading in the 3rd.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Severson was overvalued a lot here because the Devils sorely lacked any defender with offensive instincts. Quite frankly, Severson isn't an offensive defender but more of a two-way guy. If you don't notice Severson at all, that's a good thing.

His value is in his ability to make the simple and effective play. Getting the puck out quick, joining the rush, and distributing the puck well. He plays the style where he should be able to play a lot of minutes because he plays so efficiently. The elite guys like Hedman, Keith, and Suter do this and to a lower end guys like Bouwmeester and Greene did this as well.

He has been exposed in the last couple years as we've been forced to play so defensive due to horrendous rosters. Same goes for Moore. Teams have to respect our forwards so the defenders see less pressure and more room to work with and make plays.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
If any Dman on our team could be called elite offensively right now it would be Butcher. Though I would not call anyone Dman on our team elite right now

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m a huge Severson supporter but calling his play elite is just as wrong as the fans who call for him to be benched or traded. There’s no need to be 100% on either end of the spectrum here. He has no elite traits to his game and that’s fine, he is a good 2 way defender. A #2/3 defenseman.

If NJ could put four 2/3 defenders together and then a reasonable bottom pairing with their forwards they’d be a dominant team.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If NJ could put four 2/3 defenders together and then a reasonable bottom pairing with their forwards they’d be a dominant team.

Greene, Sevs and Santini are 3 of the 4. I see Moore as a really good #4 if we watch his minutes. Butcher may be in that category but we don’t have enough of a history there to know for sure.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Of course the issue is how long does Greene remain a top four? Santini and Sevs can be the right side but you need two left-side defenders in the next couple years. Will Moore improve enough to be that (and he's a FA after this year anyway), or Butcher? They'll probably still need a FA signing or trade acquisition.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Of course the issue is how long does Greene remain a top four? Santini and Sevs can be the right side but you need two left-side defenders in the next couple years. Will Moore improve enough to be that (and he's a FA after this year anyway), or Butcher? They'll probably still need a FA signing or trade acquisition.

Yeah I cant see Greene staying top four quality for too long. You can see the cracks showing up bit by bit lately. We cant rely on a 35 year old D to be our Top LD if we want to compete in the long run.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Greene, Sevs and Santini are 3 of the 4. I see Moore as a really good #4 if we watch his minutes. Butcher may be in that category but we don’t have enough of a history there to know for sure.

I hate Moore, but in this system, he is definitely a second pairing defender. Moore's issues (and same goes for Severson) is when the games become a grind fest against bigger teams like the Jets and the Capitals.

I'd plan on having Butcher phase his way up the line-up as Greene continues to regress and get a legitimate 1LD. A legitimate 1LD is truly the only thing we need.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad