Sony PS5 2

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Unsurprisingly, The Last of Us Online was canceled. Not every game needs to be a live service. Let's hope they learned something while wasting all of those resources in a game that looked doomed from the beginning.
Tbh every naughty dog game on from ps3 to ps4 has had multiplayer, and they’ve all been good.

The issue is the foundation the two are built on. In those days multiplayer was put in a game to add value. Today it’s put in the game to extract more money. Those two different approaches change everything.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's been a wee while since I've logged in to my PSN account and for some reason they have changed my username and my country along side a host of other things and support isn't there until Monday.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Unsurprisingly, The Last of Us Online was canceled. Not every game needs to be a live service. Let's hope they learned something while wasting all of those resources in a game that looked doomed from the beginning.
The cancelled it because Sony wanted it to be a live service: An Update on The Last of Us Online || Naughty Dog

In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog's heritage.

We are immensely proud of everyone at the studio that touched this project. The learnings and investments in technology from this game will carry into how we develop our projects and will be invaluable in the direction we are headed as a studio. We have more than one ambitious, brand new single player game that we're working on here at Naughty Dog, and we cannot wait to share more about what comes next when we're ready.

The online was the best part of The Last of Us, but I wasn't really interested enough to see what happened.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Finally got a PS5 as not all interesting 2024 games will support PS4 anymore. Besides perhaps quicker loading times and a bit smoother game play the system so far feels like only a marginal improvement over PS4 at least when connected to my aged TV set.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Finally got a PS5 as not all interesting 2024 games will support PS4 anymore. Besides perhaps quicker loading times and a bit smoother game play the system so far feels like only a marginal improvement over PS4 at least when connected to my aged TV set.
I've called it a PS4 Super Pro for years, there's still not alot that shows off the power of the system. Final Fantasy 16 would be the best graphically I've seen but I haven't played Spiderman 2, which I would think would look great since it's the first Sony first party game not released on PS4 also.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I've called it a PS4 Super Pro for years, there's still not alot that shows off the power of the system. Final Fantasy 16 would be the best graphically I've seen but I haven't played Spiderman 2, which I would think would look great since it's the first Sony first party game not released on PS4 also.
Ive played spiderman 2 and its kind of up and down. Like there will be next gen birthday balloons, but the cake looks weird. Or the floor will look amazingly realistic but the walls and lockers are ps4 quality.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's been a wee while since I've logged in to my PSN account and for some reason they have changed my username and my country along side a host of other things and support isn't there until Monday.
f*** playstation support sucks. I finally get through to someone, oh your account is set to a different country you'll need to contact them.... oh no one is available to chat but did this 500 password change emails help at all? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Anyone tuas the PS remote play? How is it and does connection work/does it lag? I would only use it for off line play

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Anyone tuas the PS remote play? How is it and does connection work/does it lag? I would only use it for off line play

I got a PS Portal and for the most part I have found it pretty good when used offline for remote play, not much lag however the connection does occasionally cut out. At first I had my PS5 connected wirelessly and the Portal was unplayable, however after connecting my PS5 through wire things work much better.

Reactions: Apex Predator

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Insomniac hack is terrible. Especially since it involves tons of important personal information about employees. It does seem to show Sony has some sort of deal over an X-Men series, and that a Venom game like Miles Morales is in the Pipeline. But, Wolverine is much further out than we thought.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The Insomniac hack is terrible. Especially since it involves tons of important personal information about employees. It does seem to show Sony has some sort of deal over an X-Men series, and that a Venom game like Miles Morales is in the Pipeline. But, Wolverine is much further out than we thought.
The build footage looked pretty awesome despite being obviously very, very early. Saw someone say it looks like a blend of Uncharted and God of War and that seems pretty apt. It's gonna be killer.

But yeah, just horrendous for a studio that is one of the easiest to root for in the entire industry. Can't imagine how they're feeling right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The build footage looked pretty awesome despite being obviously very, very early. Saw someone say it looks like a blend of Uncharted and God of War and that seems pretty apt. It's gonna be killer.

But yeah, just horrendous for a studio that is one of the easiest to root for in the entire industry. Can't imagine how they're feeling right now.
yeah, like the info on games is cool. But, right before the holidays staff has to worry about their Sin # and passport info being stolen apparently.

Reactions: The Merchant

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kinda disappointed that Insomniac is getting pigeon-holed by Playstation as a super-hero game factory. Between Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive, they’ve proven they’re a creative bunch.

I guess that’s the way business goes. Cant turn down those sales and Marvel bucks.

The crazy part of the leak is the economic stuff. Sony spent over $300 million making Spiderman 2 and projected $75 million profit. That is a pretty crazy capital burn rate. No wonder they want to get a Live service portfolio going

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kinda disappointed that Insomniac is getting pigeon-holed by Playstation as a super-hero game factory. Between Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive, they’ve proven they’re a creative bunch.

I guess that’s the way business goes. Cant turn down those sales and Marvel bucks.

The crazy part of the leak is the economic stuff. Sony spent over $300 million making Spiderman 2 and projected $75 million profit. That is a pretty crazy capital burn rate. No wonder they want to get a Live service portfolio going
Yeah, the thing with exclusives though, it is about getting people on your platform, so then you make that 30% off 3rd party sales, and even more on digital sales. That has long been the strategy for games. Like, a Spider-Man game that is a must-play for kids, who have only a PS5 as a primary console is their dream consumer. I'm not, as I pretty much only use my PS5 for exclusives and rare 3rd party games where the difference between PS5 and my PC is either negligible or the PC port is so bad, I buy the PS5 one. The only game recently I've done that with is Street Fighter 6. But, I'll also buy Spider-Man 2, God of War:Ragnarok, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon:Forbidden West at full price right at launch.

I think R&C will come back at some point even if it's not part of that current schedule. Sadly, they don't own Spyro and Sunset was generally a flop.
A new R&C is in the pipeline.

Sunset is great, and the first game I played when I built my PC, but with Microsoft owning the publishing rights to the first game (therefore it can never be published on Playstation without MS's approval), and it launching early in the X Box one era, it will always be relegated to a cult classic.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yeah, the thing with exclusives though, it is about getting people on your platform, so then you make that 30% off 3rd party sales, and even more on digital sales. That has long been the strategy for games. Like, a Spider-Man game that is a must-play for kids, who have only a PS5 as a primary console is their dream consumer. I'm not, as I pretty much only use my PS5 for exclusives and rare 3rd party games where the difference between PS5 and my PC is either negligible or the PC port is so bad, I buy the PS5 one. The only game recently I've done that with is Street Fighter 6. But, I'll also buy Spider-Man 2, God of War:Ragnarok, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon:Forbidden West at full price right at launch.

A new R&C is in the pipeline.

Sunset is great, and the first game I played when I built my PC, but with Microsoft owning the publishing rights to the first game (therefore it can never be published on Playstation without MS's approval), and it launching early in the X Box one era, it will always be relegated to a cult classic.

I have to admit, I refused to see the pipeline, so that's new to me.

I just feel seriously bad for Insominac for this. Easily the most consistent and probably the most talented team top to bottom in the world. They are that good. And they don't treat their employees like shit.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have to admit, I refused to see the pipeline, so that's new to me.

I just feel seriously bad for Insominac for this. Easily the most consistent and probably the most talented team top to bottom in the world. They are that good. And they don't treat their employees like shit.
Yeah, someone who was a childhood friend growing up is on one of the Insomniac teams. I've talked to him in the past, but haven't messaged him about this. Usually, it's just pleasantries, and saying great game, as we haven't really been in contact post high-school, but we were neighbors and went to the same schools from kindergarten to grade 6, and then grade 9 until 12. I feel terrible for him over the holidays knowing that he probably has to deal with a bunch of crap related to personal documents. He used to be at Ubi toronto, and he said he's never dealt with crunch at Insomniac, and he enjoyed it there. It's not like the horror stories you heard coming out of Naughty Dog or Rockstar.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't imagine Marvel is happy the details of their agreement getting out.

Most of that information is gold mine/drool material for most people but it came at the cost of employees' personal data and potentially pissing off the people who holds the rights to the license that launched you to incredible heights which sucks ass.

On the topic of the game stuff to come out; It appears Spiderman 3 might be a two part game? Can't wait for Spiderman 3, Spiderman 3 rebirth and Spiderman 3 final mix if that's the case.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Can't imagine Marvel is happy the details of their agreement getting out.

Most of that information is gold mine/drool material for most people but it came at the cost of employees' personal data and potentially pissing off the people who holds the rights to the license that launched you to incredible heights which sucks ass.

On the topic of the game stuff to come out; It appears Spiderman 3 might be a two part game? Can't wait for Spiderman 3, Spiderman 3 rebirth and Spiderman 3 final mix if that's the case.
What’s the agreement with marvel? I didn’t catch it.

Edit: found it

Seems like spiderman 2 is being bundled (for free and sometimes even discounted) because certain titles need to sell at least 6 million copies for Disney to not have the right to terminate the deal.

Also exclusivity is until January 2036.

Edit2: correction, that exclusivity for xmen. Guessing that Spider-Man is different.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What’s the agreement with marvel? I didn’t catch it.

Edit: found it

Seems like spiderman 2 is being bundled (for free and sometimes even discounted) because certain titles need to sell at least 6 million copies for Disney to not have the right to terminate the deal.

Also exclusivity is until January 2036.

Edit2: correction, that exclusivity for xmen. Guessing that Spider-Man is different.
This makes me very curious on how Blade. While a well known character, he's not Wolverine or Spider-man in name recognition, and Arkane games have tended to be niche. Add in that it's likely day one gamepass, it makes me very curious on how that deal would be structured. I can't see it with gamepass (unless they are counting game pass downloads as sales), because it won't sell 6 million just on Steam. I guess the same applies to Indiana Jones (although that deal has been restructured as it was originally made pre-Bethesda acquisition), but that character has huge name recognition.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This makes me very curious on how Blade. While a well known character, he's not Wolverine or Spider-man in name recognition, and Arkane games have tended to be niche. Add in that it's likely day one gamepass, it makes me very curious on how that deal would be structured. I can't see it with gamepass (unless they are counting game pass downloads as sales), because it won't sell 6 million just on Steam. I guess the same applies to Indiana Jones (although that deal has been restructured as it was originally made pre-Bethesda acquisition), but that character has huge name recognition.

I would assume whatever deal Bethesda and Marvel came to (since iirc this was struck pre-microsoft acquisition ala Indy) is way less than what they got out of Sony.

Really boils down to name recognition like you said, Spidey and X-Men are easily Marvel's biggest properties. It's to the point they've never really been affected by shit like bad comic runs or the MCU currently going into the shitter. They're just that big.

That's why Sony wanted them. It's also why games like Blade, and EA's Iron Man are allowed to exist. Because there's not nearly enough drawing power to justify a huge deal so then Marvel sells those on an individual basis likely.

Precedent is already there given they allowed Edios to make a Guardians of the Galaxy game which was a spectacular flop sales wise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would assume whatever deal Bethesda and Marvel came to (since iirc this was struck pre-microsoft acquisition ala Indy) is way less than what they got out of Sony.

Really boils down to name recognition like you said, Spidey and X-Men are easily Marvel's biggest properties. It's to the point they've never really been affected by shit like bad comic runs or the MCU currently going into the shitter. They're just that big.

That's why Sony wanted them. It's also why games like Blade, and EA's Iron Man are allowed to exist. Because there's not nearly enough drawing power to justify a huge deal so then Marvel sells those on an individual basis likely.

Precedent is already there given they allowed Edios to make a Guardians of the Galaxy game which was a spectacular flop sales wise.
Yeah, Guardians unfairly got overlooked despite being a very fun game (and even more enjoyable if you love the IP), granted they also trusted Square with The Avengers which is probably their biggest property, and I'd say due to the movies Ironman also has a massive draw. Blade is more niche.

The story on why Sony chose Spider-man for the exclusive has always been unclear. It's probably somewhere in the middle from everything we've heard. My best guess is out of the big names they could get from MCU, Spider-man was already connected to Sony, and Insomniac thought it was the easiest game they could make given the mechanics they put in their internal engine for Sunset Overdrive. It's always been said Insomniac had their choice of Marvel IP (while Sony was publishing, Sony didn't own them at the time).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, apparently that slide going around was just projections from 2020. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart apparently made a profit. Not as big as Spider-man, but still sold well enough as a launch title for a system people couldn't get their hands on. So hopefully, Insomniac will follow through and atleast give the franchise a send off.

Reactions: robertmac43

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

There’s very little chance its the same contract for Blade. Microsoft wants the game on Gamepass day 1, obviously thats going to hurt unit sales. I imagine MS just paid Marvel more money up front for the rights.

Reactions: Khelandros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad