Sony PS5 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Team Ninjas combat hasnt been good since ninja gaiden. Nioh games are just glorified RPGs, Grind to get the numbers highest to win.
I only played Nioh 2, but you can choose to grind levels and gear if you want, or you could go through the game normally and have fun with the combat like I did.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I only played Nioh 2, but you can choose to grind levels and gear if you want, or you could go through the game normally and have fun with the combat like I did.
I played both Niohs and really gave them a fair shake, I rarely play games and dont finish them. I just felt like the enemies were horribly tuned, they did way too much damage, their attack animations were way too fast, too few enemies, same exact levels over and over.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Team Ninjas combat hasnt been good since ninja gaiden. Nioh games are just glorified RPGs, Grind to get the numbers highest to win.
I finished the first Nioh game but i was disappointed about the equipment mattering so much. I expected something like Dark Souls were it was more about skills than whatever you are using.

Having to constantly look for new equipment and materials to upgrade them to stay relevant is not my cup of tea.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I expect zero sales after Playstation Twitter's reaction to the game being first person. :laugh:

Jokes aside, Playstation and Nintendo should follow suit but they won't.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I expect zero sales after Playstation Twitter's reaction to the game being first person. :laugh:

The business model of consoles has always been make must-have exclusives, and then make 30% off the 3rd party releases on your console (or higher when including cuts on digital storefronts). I don't see any reason (outside a mandate by regulators) that Sony or Nintendo would change up a structure that has been very profitable for them over the past couple decades. On top of that, it would probably lead to Sony having limited interest in making consoles that sell at a loss initially.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That would be very based of them.
If true, I'm just curious what it means. Will it just be Bethesda/ABK/Live Service games going to Playstation (and Switch 2 if it's powerful enough?), or are they going to go as far as the flagship Microsoft exclusives like Halo, Gears, and Forza. The other rumored titles are Starfield (Bethesda), Sea of Thieves (Live service), and Hi-Fi Rush (Bethesda). I assume Microsoft will have to put out some sort of press release this week, since these rumors have created a firestorm on Twitter.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

The thing here is that Microsoft is failing so hard at keeping up with console sales, they have to go out of their way to make some profit. No chance in the 360 era that Halo goes multiplatform i.e.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The thing here is that Microsoft is failing so hard at keeping up with console sales, they have to go out of their way to make some profit. No chance in the 360 era that Halo goes multiplatform i.e.
Yeah, the belief is even with finally having their big 1st party exclusive that wasn't Halo, Forza or Gears, Sony managed to outsell them 3 to 1 in 2023. While we never get official numbers on anything MS-related these days, it's also likely Microsoft aren't seeing the subscription growth on Gamepass they have expected. Right now it is just rumors, but this is absolutely a big moment in the console space if true. Seems like something has massively changed since they got ABK over the line.

Reactions: Soedy

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, the belief is even with finally having their big 1st party exclusive that wasn't Halo, Forza or Gears, Sony managed to outsell them 3 to 1 in 2023. While we never get official numbers on anything MS-related these days, it's also likely Microsoft aren't seeing the subscription growth on Gamepass they have expected. Right now it is just rumors, but this is absolutely a big moment in the console space if true. Seems like something has massively changed since they got ABK over the line.
They paid $69Billion for a studio that they were the only bidder on, have had a couple of bad releases that didn't meet internal projections(or external with Redfall), and are now realizing that having people pay $150 for a year of free games vs $100 per AAA release isn't a really smart business strategy.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The business model of consoles has always been make must-have exclusives, and then make 30% off the 3rd party releases on your console (or higher when including cuts on digital storefronts). I don't see any reason (outside a mandate by regulators) that Sony or Nintendo would change up a structure that has been very profitable for them over the past couple decades. On top of that, it would probably lead to Sony having limited interest in making consoles that sell at a loss initially.
Yeah I understand there's a reason why it's only Microsoft doing this, it's a move you make when your platform isn't selling as well as the others. Similar to why AMD and Intel allow their upscaling technologies to run on all GPUs while Nvidia restricts theirs to only Nvidia cards. I should have said that I want them to do the same rather than saying they should.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's hard to tell if the plans at Xbox changed, or have just been accelerated.

They've been talking about viewing the gaming market beyond consoles and exclusives for a long time now. And Phil Spencer said years ago that there's no way they can 'out console Sony'.

That said, putting 1st party titles on Playstation is a bigger shift, sooner, than most people (myself included) expected.

Combined with all the signs that Xbox will be going completely digital next generation, it seems as though they're positioning the Xbox console as a Gamepass box for people who don't want and/or can't afford a PC for gaming.

The games coming to PS5 will be released for $70 or whatever, whereas they'll all be included day 1 with a Gamepass subscription... so depending on how many of these Microsoft games you want, it could be cheaper to just get the Xbox and Gamepass, rather than a PS5 (or PS6) and paying for them all individually.

However, that puts a ton of pressure for the depth and breadth of content on Gamepass to outweigh the appeal of PS5 exclusives that people will also be able to play on PS5.

Right now I think most people would agree that access to both Playstation 1st party titles and Xbox 1st party titles (even if released a year or more later) is a more exciting proposition than Xbox games via subscription service day one. The only way that changes is if the number of great, exciting games on Gamepass grows to point that Sony's output can't keep up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's hard to tell if the plans at Xbox changed, or have just been accelerated.

They've been talking about viewing the gaming market beyond consoles and exclusives for a long time now. And Phil Spencer said years ago that there's no way they can 'out console Sony'.

That said, putting 1st party titles on Playstation is a bigger shift, sooner, than most people (myself included) expected.

Combined with all the signs that Xbox will be going completely digital next generation, it seems as though they're positioning the Xbox console as a Gamepass box for people who don't want and/or can't afford a PC for gaming.

The games coming to PS5 will be released for $70 or whatever, whereas they'll all be included day 1 with a Gamepass subscription... so depending on how many of these Microsoft games you want, it could be cheaper to just get the Xbox and Gamepass, rather than a PS5 (or PS6) and paying for them all individually.

However, that puts a ton of pressure for the depth and breadth of content on Gamepass to outweigh the appeal of PS5 exclusives that people will also be able to play on PS5.

Right now I think most people would agree that access to both Playstation 1st party titles and Xbox 1st party titles (even if released a year or more later) is a more exciting proposition than Xbox games via subscription service day one. The only way that changes is if the number of great, exciting games on Gamepass grows to point that Sony's output can't keep up.
I think they finally started crunching numbers after the Activision. Sony sold roughly 22m consoles last year, I believe Microsoft sold between 7 to 8m. So earlier in the generation the shortage of PS5's likely led to some false hope MS was closing the gap. With X-Box's internal forecasts from their CFO projecting 2m sales of Series consoles in the first half of 2024, they had to see the writing on the wall with the upcoming Switch 2 likely to be the darling of this Holiday season.

I do hope we get some clarification from MS soon, because until then the rumors are just going to go haywire. People throwing around Gears and Halo to Playstation.

I thought Activision and Bethesda were bad for the overall health of gaming, because MS wasn't adding anything, they were just taking things away from Sony and Nintendo. Little did I expect, Microsoft may end up becoming Activision out of this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

The fact there wasn't an outright denial or an attempt to soften the blow, makes me think with this much smoke it's going to be more than just Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush going to Playstation and Switch.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Unless they've been porting the games for a few years in secret, it'll be awhile till anything big comes out, aside from Starfield which I think Bethesda said they were halfway through when Microsoft told them to stop? Anyway, interesting times ahead.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

The fact there wasn't an outright denial or an attempt to soften the blow, makes me think with this much smoke it's going to be more than just Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush going to Playstation and Switch.

100% this was moved forward and this is the best they can do to scramble. Yeah, some massive changes coming.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Unless they've been porting the games for a few years in secret, it'll be awhile till anything big comes out, aside from Starfield which I think Bethesda said they were halfway through when Microsoft told them to stop? Anyway, interesting times ahead.
It won't take that long. Both systems run on x86 architecture. The days of the systems being on completely different designs are long-gone.

Most games are designed to target peak performance on PlayStation 5 (since they are the market leader), and then tweaked to run on series S, Series X, and PC. It will take some time, but I doubt it will be years down the line. They aren't going to need completely new builds.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Hopefully this means Demon's Souls and Stellar Blade are on their way to PC lol
It will probably be a slow drop unless they buy more porting studios. I think Nixxes is currently on Horizon:Forbidden West. I don't believe Sony games are particularly easy to port since pretty much every major studio has their own internal game engines that weren't designed to port to PC.

I'm surprised Ghost of Tsushima hasn't gotten to PC already. I would think the next games Sony will put Nixxes on are likely God of War: Ragnarok, and when they finish that Spiderman 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad