Speculation: Some non-media sources say Devils and Flames have agreement on Markstrom trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They're saying the pick will be in play... as in be available for trade, not that they'd draft a goalie with the pick.

I think you're misunderstanding the po y here. They move this pick for a current G (ex Saros, Askarov etc)
They don't mean drafting and growing, they mean moving pick for the now
I see. Well that works too. That doesn't help the Devils this season but if you've already written off the season I can see going that route. However if Markstrom is your target goalie you're gambling that he will be still available.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the Devils feel Markstrom is their starter, then his cap hit should be fine. Retention shouldn't be a deal breaker

Imo this trade will get done

Reactions: Leafshater67

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I see. Well that works too. That doesn't help the Devils this season but if you've already written off the season I can see going that route. However if Markstrom is your target goalie you're gambling that he will be still available.
He makes his big moves out of season.
I think he moves for a ufa G like Ned in Pitt. Then in the summer decide what to do. Just my opinion

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Maybe, but if the cost is similar either way, why not find a way to pull it off now? It might save the season
Historically he doesn't do those moves.
If it's off season it will be less, it always is. No pressure, no one's watching. If they dint strung some wins together it won't matter

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Historically he doesn't do those moves.
If it's off season it will be less, it always is. No pressure, no one's watching. If they dint strung some wins together it won't matter
But with all the potential LTIR to dip into, wouldn't doing it now be basically the same as the summer? They have flexibility. I don't know the situation fully of course, but if it's a rule of thumb based on a GM's MO, that's a rule destined to be broken

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
But with all the potential LTIR to dip into, wouldn't doing it now be basically the same as the summer? They have flexibility. I don't know the situation fully of course, but if it's a rule of thumb based on a GM's MO, that's a rule destined to be broken
I see a band aid fix to try and stop the bleeding. Guess we'll see

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think the idea would be more the options are greater come mid-year so they don’t have to rush into a fit if they could explore other avenues (Ullmark, Saros, Swayman, etc.).

It really just depends if this Devils team can string together a bunch of wins and get back in contention. If they’re tied or a point or two behind a playoff spot, you might see a deal. If they’re a bit farther out, they probably grab a stop gap to end the season so Daws/Schmid can split AHL minutes and save some waiver eligibility.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It really sucks when you're a rebuilding team and your ownership won't allow retention.

Rebuilding teams are typically trading with contenders who need the retention. This simply inhibits potential returns and therefore potentially slows down the rebuild.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It really sucks when you're a rebuilding team and your ownership won't allow retention.

Rebuilding teams are typically trading with contenders who need the retention. This simply inhibits potential returns and therefore potentially slows down the rebuild.
I’d hope they’d do it on expiring contracts at least but I can understand not wanting to burn a retention slot on markstrom for this year and two more. He’s easily worth 6 million

I suppose it would depend just how much that retention would pump up his value

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Flames are retooling and trying to capitalize a great return on a 34 YO goalie. Retention CAN happen, but our GM doesn’t prefer it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The problem is that a 34 year old goalie with year-to-year consistency issues and two years of term left is an enormous risk, and nobody is going to trade for him unless that risk is minimized in some way. I get that he's having a great year right now, but buying high on a goalie on the wrong side of 30 could have devastating implications for a cap team trying to compete.

Getting a team to absorb Markstrom's full contract with no conditions would mean a huge concession by the purchasing team, which will greatly impact the return he gets. Calgary won't get a premium return unless they retain something, and if they aren't retaining then the return is significantly diminished. Teams will look elsewhere. He's old, expensive, and not a long-term answer - there are goalies available with far less baggage.

NJ could accommodate Markstrom's full cap hit this year because Dougie Hamilton is on LTIR and they have an extra 9M cushion to play around with. But they would need to move out significant salary in order to be cap compliant next year, which is a huge issue considering how many young RFAs that need to be re-signed in the short term (Mercer this year, Luke Hughes and Holtz next year, Nemec the year after). They also need to bring in a replacement for McLeod.

I suspect the Devils won't be very active at the deadline - maybe a minor move here and there, but they'll probably just stand pat and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps they go on a late run and make the playoffs, perhaps they don't. They'll fire Ruff this April and likely make a goalie move at the draft or over the summer. The skater core has proven it's very good and can win a lot of games, but between injuries, coaching, and goaltending this just isn't their year. The team is still young and in it's prime, run it back again.

But the Devils just gave Fitzgerald a huge vote of confidence in naming him President, they are all-in on his long term plan and will not alter that for a panic move one year into their window. If there is a good hockey deal to be made then he'll make it, but he's not going to get squeezed - if he was, he would have done something by now.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Markstrom looked good against the Devils. He’d definitely be an upgrade but I don’t know if it makes much long term sense.

Options seems to be limited but if Markstrom doesn’t work out in NJ they’d be stuck until 2026.

If Fitz really wants to fix the goaltending he’s going to need to be more aggressive. I like what he’s done in NJ but the fact that he hasn’t made any kind of move so far this year is concerning.

On the bright side of the Devils missing the playoffs this year is a top 16 pick will be in play for a goalie.

As far as I know there isn’t a goalie worth taking in the middle of the 1st round, just like the last 2 drafts.

Whoops misread that. My bad, sorry.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As far as I know there isn’t a goalie worth taking in the middle of the 1st round, just like the last 2 drafts.
I think he's talking about moving that pick for an established goalie. I just don't understand the benefit of waiting until the draft to do it and flushing this season. Average goaltending even and the Devils are easily a playoff team, a top 10 guy and the blueline gets healthy? They are contenders in a weak eastern conference.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
The problem is that a 34 year old goalie with year-to-year consistency issues and two years of term left is an enormous risk, and nobody is going to trade for him unless that risk is minimized in some way. I get that he's having a great year right now, but buying high on a goalie on the wrong side of 30 could have devastating implications for a cap team trying to compete.

Getting a team to absorb Markstrom's full contract with no conditions would mean a huge concession by the purchasing team, which will greatly impact the return he gets. Calgary won't get a premium return unless they retain something, and if they aren't retaining then the return is significantly diminished. Teams will look elsewhere. He's old, expensive, and not a long-term answer - there are goalies available with far less baggage.

NJ could accommodate Markstrom's full cap hit this year because Dougie Hamilton is on LTIR and they have an extra 9M cushion to play around with. But they would need to move out significant salary in order to be cap compliant next year, which is a huge issue considering how many young RFAs that need to be re-signed in the short term (Mercer this year, Luke Hughes and Holtz next year, Nemec the year after). They also need to bring in a replacement for McLeod.

I suspect the Devils won't be very active at the deadline - maybe a minor move here and there, but they'll probably just stand pat and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps they go on a late run and make the playoffs, perhaps they don't. They'll fire Ruff this April and likely make a goalie move at the draft or over the summer. The skater core has proven it's very good and can win a lot of games, but between injuries, coaching, and goaltending this just isn't their year. The team is still young and in it's prime, run it back again.

But the Devils just gave Fitzgerald a huge vote of confidence in naming him President, they are all-in on his long term plan and will not alter that for a panic move one year into their window. If there is a good hockey deal to be made then he'll make it, but he's not going to get squeezed - if he was, he would have done something by now.

Sure consistency issues aside, your also not committing to Markstrom long-term, that's also a benefit you've left out here. Consistency aside, he's played very well this season and Vezina-caliber the year before last.

Not paying for a goalie is what has the Devils in the position that they are in, if the Devils don't want to pay no ones forcing them. There also the cost, your not getting Askarov or Swayman, and if that's what the Devils are thinking its going to start with people like Hughes, Nemec, etc. Even a player like Saros, if I was the Predators I would put the Devils over a barrel.

Your not going to get a good goalie for free, no term and a low cap hit, lots of people on here when discussing want all benefit and no risk. That's not going to happen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This would have gone pretty far down the road for it to be reported on.
I think Conroy would take some cash back if the deal made sense on each teams' end.

I'm not overly sure what that trade would even look like to be honest. Goalie's are a weird market, and I have no idea what a framework would start to look like.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the idea would be more the options are greater come mid-year so they don’t have to rush into a fit if they could explore other avenues (Ullmark, Saros, Swayman, etc.).

It really just depends if this Devils team can string together a bunch of wins and get back in contention. If they’re tied or a point or two behind a playoff spot, you might see a deal. If they’re a bit farther out, they probably grab a stop gap to end the season so Daws/Schmid can split AHL minutes and save some waiver eligibility.
If the rumor is that there were talks for Markstrom, I'd think the Devils feel this option is a good one. You could be right about seeing if there are wins first, but Markstrom has term. It could be a deal like Chychrun where the year of the trade isn't even the focus.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ isn’t looking at Markstrom as some sort of long term piece given his age. They probably offered accordingly. Calgary isn’t likely interested in a pick or far off prospect which is where it probably ended. Calgary doesn’t seem keen on retooling so much as it has been forced on them. I expect they will make moves as they have to not just for the sake of it.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Apparently the "they were closer on the package" but "retention was the much bigger problem". Edward's being a horrible cheapskate is ruining everything.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Apparently the "they were closer on the package" but "retention was the much bigger problem". Edward's being a horrible cheapskate is ruining everything.

What a shocker. Murray doesn't care about winning. Murray cares about profitability. Murray wants taxpayers to pay for his rink while he moves from Canada to England to Switzerland to avoid paying taxes.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Substantial retention for multiple years is pretty rare. I can’t even imagine what NJ’s offer was if they were asking for that. Thank god it didn’t go through.

I’d guess Casey + 1st.
I don't think the Flames would have interest in Casey. We have 3 offensive defensemen around that age already. I'd think it would be for Clarke or Holtz with some other stuff. I'm sure the Flames would have major interest in Mercer, but doubt even Fitz is dumb enough to make him available.

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad