Speculation: Some non-media sources say Devils and Flames have agreement on Markstrom trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I imagine NJ wants them to take Vanacek
I’d Palat tradeable ? No trade

Calgary doesn’t need a G with Wolf and they are likeky stuck with Vladar
No one even wants to pay 2 million for a bubble Backup without taking a pick Back with him
No one knows what Wolf is at the NHL level yet. He could end up as a back up NHLer for all we know.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
WIth zero idea how these negotiations went I'm gonna guess that NJ didn't come close to meeting the price just based on the organizational philosophy re: goaltending (go cheap). Even asking Calgary to retain seems out of step with the current goaltending market for buyers (dreadful).

I have no idea why either side would leak these talks though.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Agree so why not Schmid and Wolf as a tandem and see who wins out.
Well it depends if you consider Schmid to have value in the deal. If he does then it’s dumb from a flames POV to lose value by taking Schmid. Just run Wolfe/Vladar or sign another veteran backup. Or take Vanecek back as a dump and increase Markstrom’s value even more

If Schmid is just a throw in and a contract NJ needs to get rid of then sure it’s fine

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'll take Vanecek if it gets us Holtz. He'd basically just be a place holder, but we better hope Wolf is the real deal.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Devils need to jump on this. Their goalies are bad. They'll miss the playoffs.
The East gonna be dog fight for Final 2 Spots, Metro 3rd and WC2
6 teams virtually locks already Bruins, Leafs, Cats, NYR, Canes. Bolts

Leaving Devs in the deep mix w Wings, Flyers, Pens, Isles, Caps

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Which is why I hope they won't make a big move until the offseason.
The way I see it is if they need to add a goalie anyway why not do it now if the right one is available?

In my opinion if the devils make a coaching change and get healthy they’re one of ~10 teams with the talent to win a cup

Third in the Met is well within reach, I get that they’re set up well enough to compete for awhile but why waste the chance to do it this year if there’s a good trade to be made. East seems pretty wide open

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The East gonna be dog fight for Final 2 Spots, Metro 3rd and WC2
6 teams virtually locks already Bruins, Leafs, Cats, NYR, Canes. Bolts

Leaving Devs in the deep mix w Wings, Flyers, Pens, Isles, Caps
I don’t think the leafs and bolts are a lock. The other 4 I agree with

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The way I see it is if they need to add a goalie anyway why not do it now if the right one is available?

In my opinion if the devils make a coaching change and get healthy they’re one of ~10 teams with the talent to win a cup

Third in the Met is well within reach, I get that they’re set up well enough to compete for awhile but why waste the chance to do it this year if there’s a good trade to be made. East seems pretty wide open

The team as a whole hasn't been good. Very mediocre. Obviously some of that is brought on by injuries. They aren't going to fire Ruff mid season. I feel comfortable saying that.

They are 6 back in the wildcard. They have only one game in hand on the Red Wings and 0 games in hand on Toronto. That seems like a pipe dream.

They are 8 points back in the metro. They have 3 games in hand, but frankly there is no reason to think that they are going to go 3-0 in those three games. The Pens have 4 games in hand and are only a point back of the devils.

They've had 3, three game winning streaks this year, nothing longer than that. They are just incredibly mediocre and inconsistent.

I'd let it go for now. If it gets better as you get closer to the deadline, fine...maybe you can make a move. Don't have to do that now. They should probably be closer to selling than buying right now.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
I'm guessing the stop is on New Jersey wanting the Flames to retain. Flames won't retain on expiring contracts, let alone on contracts with multiple years remaining.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Retention and trade return. Seems like the 2 biggest obstacles possible. Seems unlikely
I think all trades start off this way. we want you to trade us your player 50% retention for this guy we’re going to waive tomorrow. Ummm. No. Ok. 10% for a 2nd. If they both want a done it’ll get closer

I’ll take Mercer and a 1st thanks
Mercer is not going anywhere

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think all trades start off this way. we want you to trade us your player 50% retention for this guy we’re going to waive tomorrow. Ummm. No. Ok. 10% for a 2nd. If they both want a done it’ll get closer

No doubt. Though Friedman basically already saying its dead for the time being suggests that it's not going to get done any time soon. Each passing day the devils fall further out makes it more likely that it's going to be an off season move, imo.

Reactions: Fatass

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
No doubt. Though Friedman basically already saying its dead for the time being suggests that it's not going to get done any time soon. Each passing day the devils fall further out makes it more likely that it's going to be an off season move, imo.
There was no Lindholm talk until a few days before the trade. Conroy was saying they had nothing firm from any team and then when they started talking and players names starting popping up it got done quickly. So things change all of a sudden. On deadline day trades happen within hours with No prior work done. So it’s a funny business. I can see if NJ does want him and Flames won’t retain it’s easy enough to go to SJ or Ana and see if they will retain for some assets. That’s not too difficult. But yeah it won’t be a Holtz or Mercer and probably not an unprotected first. So if Conny was asking those guys (which he absolutely should at least ask) he will likely have to settle for conditional picks and a prospect like Stillman. Which I’d be ok with.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Markstrom doesn't become a UFA until July 2026. No need to make a deal any time soon. its a seller's market.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Markstrom looked good against the Devils. He’d definitely be an upgrade but I don’t know if it makes much long term sense.

Options seems to be limited but if Markstrom doesn’t work out in NJ they’d be stuck until 2026.

If Fitz really wants to fix the goaltending he’s going to need to be more aggressive. I like what he’s done in NJ but the fact that he hasn’t made any kind of move so far this year is concerning.

On the bright side of the Devils missing the playoffs this year is a top 16 pick will be in play for a goalie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Markstrom looked good against the Devils. He’d definitely be an upgrade but I don’t know if it makes much long term sense.

Options seems to be limited but if Markstrom doesn’t work out in NJ they’d be stuck until 2026.

If Fitz really wants to fix the goaltending he’s going to need to be more aggressive. I like what he’s done in NJ but the fact that he hasn’t made any kind of move so far this year is concerning.

On the bright side of the Devils missing the playoffs this year is a top 16 pick will be in play for a goalie.
Markstrom has been great all year. Early on the season hos numbers didn't reflect his play as he was constantly being hung out to dry as the team adjusted to a zone defense from man-to-man.

Reactions: CF84

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do the Devils want to wait 4-5 years, or maybe longer, for a goalie drafted in 2024 to be ready to play in the NHL at an elite level? Assuming they hit gold with their draft pick... which is far from guaranteed... in fact the odds are against it. Compared to that Markstrom in the next 2 years and 2-1/2 months is about as close to a sure thing as you can hope for. Everybody looks at draft picks as being can't miss magic beans. They rarely are.

Reactions: jgimp

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do the Devils want to wait 4-5 years, or maybe longer, for a goalie drafted in 2024 to be ready to play in the NHL at an elite level? Assuming they hit gold with their draft pick... which is far from guaranteed... in fact the odds are against it. Compared to that Markstrom in the next 2 years and 2-1/2 months is about as close to a sure thing as you can hope for. Everybody looks at draft picks as being can't miss magic beans. They rarely are.
They're saying the pick will be in play... as in be available for trade, not that they'd draft a goalie with the pick.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think you're misunderstanding the po y here. They move this pick for a current G (ex Saros, Askarov etc)
They don't mean drafting and growing, they mean moving pick for the now

Reactions: Jerzey Devil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad