Speculation: Some non-media sources say Devils and Flames have agreement on Markstrom trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Price is likely astronomical if they want retention. Markstrom has been good, the Flames are in a playoff race, and Markstrom has been very solid this year.

Not to mention his brand new kid and Im sure getting him to agree to waive is a tough ask on top of it

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don’t see a Markstrom trade happening.

1. No one is wanting to pay a lot for a goalie getting ready to hit 35 years and have a big cap hit.

2. Teams will be offering low anyways and retaining will add to the value but still not enough for Calgary.

Calgary will have to budge or keep Markstrom with the likelihood his value is the highest he will have

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My response to this...

No shit Sherlock

Of course they talked, of course the Flames aren't interested in retention, and of course they want a really good return.

Is that what he said?

Doesn't sound like very serious talks at all if that's true lol
He also said "I think" before he said serious and before the supposed complications

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Legit in the sense that the Devils made a serious attempt, or at least what they thought was a serious attempt.

But it turns out what they were willing to pay doesn't come close to what the Flames want. So talks stopped.

It's not that complicated. I'd guess the Devils wanted the Flames to retain on Markstrom for the next 2 years and for that, Conroy wanted Mercer+, which obviously the Devils don't want to do.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
retention seems unnecessary. just trade vanecek to calgary in the deal, and flip vladar elsewhere. there's your retention. flames will need a reasonable vet goalie with wolf anyway.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Could just be an early conversation with a timeline extending into the summer. A deal for a player like Markstrom probably involves a lot of moving parts and approvals and sheer math. Salary retention, alone, could be a serious discussion for both organizations.

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
And nothing happened because Fitzgerald is a bitch screwing the devils over every which way this year. What a shit gm
He is a very bad GM. But remember, our bad ownership group selected him. We went from Lou (the 3 time cup winner) to Fitzgerald who is too afraid to fire Lindy Ruff (0 cups in 20+ years). No wonder this franchise has been screwed for so many years.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Flames have all the leverage here.

Devils have a Cup caliber team everywhere but in goal. They must be desperate to try to correct the problem and get some shots at winning the Cup.

Sure, they have a young core and a wide window, but winning a Cup is damn hard in a 32 team league. You should want to utilize every year of that window to the best of your ability.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
retention seems unnecessary. just trade vanecek to calgary in the deal, and flip vladar elsewhere. there's your retention. flames will need a reasonable vet goalie with wolf anyway.
Vladar has reportedly been available since Conroy took over as GM and they haven't found a suitor for Vladar, so it's not as easy as you make it sound. I think he may be bought out this summer.

Another factor that no one is discussing is optics. We're 1 point out of a playoff spot, trading Markstrom would be terrible optics to the guys in the room. This isn't like Hanifin or Tanev where it's move them now or get nothing, as Markstrom is still under contract for 2 more seasons. So if I were Conroy, I'd want more than normal.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I imagine NJ wants them to take Vanacek
I’d Palat tradeable ? No trade

Schmid + 1st for Markstrom.

3rd party retention.

Done.

Calgary doesn’t need a G with Wolf and they are likeky stuck with Vladar
No one even wants to pay 2 million for a bubble Backup without taking a pick Back with him

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Flames have all the leverage here.

Devils have a Cup caliber team everywhere but in goal. They must be desperate to try to correct the problem and get some shots at winning the Cup.

Sure, they have a young core and a wide window, but winning a Cup is damn hard in a 32 team league. You should want to utilize every year of that window to the best of your ability.
Marky has a full NMC--so he has some say where he goes

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad