Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Which is why I separated it and didn't include it my listing of MCU movies. Spiderman is still a Marvel property (and yes I know it was pre-Marvel Studios as well), I was just comparing the biggest superhero movies that were of contemporary with the prequels. All three of those turds would be among the worst of MCU (if not the worst), but they are not apart of it. Much like Nolan's Batman isn't apart of DC universe...

I think the batting average is pretty good for MCU. Iron Man 2 and 3 were forgettable along with Thor and Thor 2.

Everything else was decent to good IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think the batting average is pretty good for MCU. Iron Man 2 and 3 were forgettable along with Thor and Thor 2.

Everything else was decent to good IMO.

The post I was originally responding to was about consistency. All the post-Disney Star Wars have been good to very good, IMO. Nothing great. Nothing bad. The post went on to say Star Wars couldn't match the consistency of a much larger franchise that has had some real bad movies (ie Iron Man 2+3, Thor 2) and some really great movies (Guardians, Avengers 1) and everything in between. I just didn't see how that worked.

The only way I see that that is possible is because of the sheer number of movies that MCU puts out is that the bad ones get so quickly lost because the next one is released 2-6 months later so it's quickly forgotten. It can't work like that for Star Wars since they don't produce as many movies, nor as of right now do they have the diversity that MCU has.

Reactions: tacogeoff

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The “bad ones” in the MCU are pretty far back IMO

They’ve got a pretty good streak going.

I wasn’t overly impressed with the Last Jedi but the other two were decent.

Reactions: shello

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I feel like I'm on an island lately being really happy with the Disney Star Wars films. They've produced some of my favourite blockbusters of the past few years, and even though I had no interest in a Han Solo movie, the trailer looked right up my alley.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I feel like I'm on an island lately being really happy with the Disney Star Wars films. They've produced some of my favourite blockbusters of the past few years, and even though I had no interest in a Han Solo movie, the trailer looked right up my alley.

I share your opinions. I've enjoyed recent Star Wars films, although I've had no desire to rewatch any of them.

To me, they make for fun, light popcorn films. For this film, I'm not as sure if I'll get out to see it. It's in a pretty crowded field, so I may not get out to see it. I think the December release dates worked better for these films.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Would like to see a story about the betrayal of Darth Plagueis, and completely subvert everyone's expectations by making the true story completely contradictory to the one Palpatine told Anakin in ROTS.

I would totally be interested in a Palpatine movie.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
New TV spot came out. Even more speculation that a classic character may show up. Around the 40 second mark you may see something that suggests their appearance.

Also, apparently Tam Posla is shown in the last trailer. Never heard of him, but seems cool.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
New TV spot came out. Even more speculation that a classic character may show up. Around the 40 second mark you may see something that suggests their appearance.

Also, apparently Tam Posla is shown in the last trailer. Never heard of him, but seems cool.

Slave 1? Have to say that the more trailers I see for this film, the more excited I am to see it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Slave 1? Have to say that the more trailers I see for this film, the more excited I am to see it.

1. Perhaps.

Speculation on my part but
what if they hire Boba Fett to help them out? In the last trailer there was a massive mammoth-type skull, which is a symbol Fett wears.

2. Yes, same here. Just about a month away.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:yoda: Release it 3 weeks earlier, they should...

Never mind the Avengers movie.

I still don't understand why this movie isn't be released at Christmas. Looking at the release schedule at BoxOfficeMojo there is little competition for big budget action movies during the holidays of 2018...at least no more than previous years. This spring/summer over the course of 8 weeks we are going to have The Avengers: Infinity Wars, Han Solo Story, Deadpool 2 and Jurassic World 2. I think there is a good chance of significant cannibalization among these movies as the high grosses anticipated for each depends on multiple viewings. That is less likely to happen with these big blockbusters opening so close together. Infinity Wars is the least likely to be effected as it is first out of the gate and has 3 whole weekends to itself.

Even if this Star Wars movie is of reasonable quality along the lines of Rogue Squadron, I think it will have a tough time cracking $500 million domestically and $900 million worldwide. Releasing a week or 2 before Christmas as has been the tradition the previous 3 years might have resulted in a few hundred million more internationally.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I share your opinions. I've enjoyed recent Star Wars films, although I've had no desire to rewatch any of them.

To me, they make for fun, light popcorn films. For this film, I'm not as sure if I'll get out to see it. It's in a pretty crowded field, so I may not get out to see it. I think the December release dates worked better for these films.

Which is what all Star Wars movies are supposed to be and what I expect out of this one.

My main curiosity is how a Star Wars movie will work without any Force overtones. I mean, even Rogue One had that going on.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My main curiosity is how a Star Wars movie will work without any Force overtones. I mean, even Rogue One had that going on.

I've never thought of the Force as a required ingredient for Star Wars. My favorite Star Wars game, Dark Forces, was (despite its name) Force free. The two made-for-TV Ewok movies that I liked as a kid had no Force usage. Even in some of the biggest, most important scenes in the original trilogy (like the attack on the first Death Star, the battle on Hoth, the battle for Endor and Lando blowing up the second Death Star), there was relatively little or no Force usage. I actually prefer the realistic aspects of Star Wars and am turned off by too much Force usage and reference. That's one reason why Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies, because the Force took a back seat.

I have no concerns at all about this Solo film not feeling like Star Wars because it may have little or no Force in it. I'm, instead, concerned that it'll not feel right for other reasons.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The trailer for this came on before Infinity War, and the cliffhanger was Chewie in a dangerous situation.

My wife immediately leaned over to me and sarcastically asked, "Do you think Chewie will survive?!?!"

I got a good long laugh out of that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I expect it to be the best Disney SW film. Although that's not saying much because the bar is pretty low.

It's going to be completely mediocre. Not great, not bad, just passable. Certainly better than The Last Jedi and probably better than TFA and R1.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I see it being a little below Rogue One level, below either of the sequels but with enough of the fun little bits to satisfy Star Wars fans.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'll see it eventually, but as someone that legitimately loved Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Last Jedi (fight me), it is pretty telling that I'm extremely low interest in this despite the fact that I'm nowhere near Star Wars fatigue or have any disappointment in me in how Disney has handled the franchise.

Just kind of feels like either a story that didn't need to be told or a story that probably should've been held off on for at least as long as Harrison Ford is still alive. I kind of like Han Solo's past as being mysterious, delving deeply into his past just doesn't do it for me at the moment. I'll be watching with extremely low expectations. Worst case scenario, I'll at least get some Star Wars visuals out of it. Just hope that they don't insert a poison pill into the canon for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad