Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why are they making so many? It used to be one star wars movie every 3 years , now it's every 6 months. I'm a fan, but if you make too many, too soon you're going to have some bad movies.
Have you seen how much these films make?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
At a time when it seems a new Marvel super hero movie comes out every month I don't see how anyone can complain about 6 SW films over 6 year span

Yeah I don't understand this either.

The quality isn't dependent of the rate at which they come out. The rate at which they can release quality movies is dependent on how many good ideas they have, and how many talented casts/crews they can put together. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. It should be possible to release even more movies even faster tbh.

I can't get enough of Marvel's movies personally. For star wars it's a different story unfortunately though. First because I'm sick and tired of prequels, did we really need a Solo movie ? Did we really need Rogue One ? Give me original stories that are moving forwards from the current stories. I want a big immersive experience in a world that feels alive and where there are multiple stories that could eventually intersect.. but don't necessarily have to. Just knowing these other stories are occurring at the same time somewhere else in that given universe is appealing to me and makes that universe feel bigger and more alive.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Would love for Star Wars to branch out a bit and try some things against the grain. The galaxy is pretty damn huge and there has to be some force user people can come up with that isn't a Jedi or Sith but uses it in unique ways.

I also want a Plagueis movie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would love for Star Wars to branch out a bit and try some things against the grain. The galaxy is pretty damn huge and there has to be some force user people can come up with that isn't a Jedi or Sith but uses it in unique ways.

If Disney did that people would bitch and moan about how "They have ruined Star Wars"

Of course if Disney doesn't do that people bitch and moan about how "Its predictable rip off of the glorious original trilogy"

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

If Disney did that people would ***** and moan about how "They have ruined Star Wars"

Of course if Disney doesn't do that people ***** and moan about how "Its predictable rip off of the glorious original trilogy"

They’re starting up a new trilogy, aren’t they? With Rian Johnson? One that is supposed to be separate from this stuff. Or that was the plan at least. Maybe it’s changed.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'll probably dislike this film based on the reactions. Star Wars, in my mind, is supposed to be grand. I have a problem with these spinoffs just being run-of-the-mill stories set in space. TLJ was really lacking in that grandness, that scale, which is part of the reason I disliked it so much.
The last spin-off was basically a science-fiction movie for 95% of the time with the Star Wars skin slapped on top, which isn't what the series is about.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
At a time when it seems a new Marvel super hero movie comes out every month I don't see how anyone can complain about 6 SW films over 6 year span

You seem to be making a big assumption that no one complains that there are so many superhero movies. There are some of us, few though we may be, who are tired of them, hate the fact that the film industry has been overrun with them and especially don't like seeing a similar "milk the franchise to death" strategy being applied to Star Wars. If someone can't get enough of superhero films and, yet, complains about so many Star Wars films, it's valid to question that specific inconsistency, but all complaints shouldn't be dismissed like that, since there are some of us who are consistent in complaining about the number of both.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I personally think there are far too many superhero movies, but I deal with it by not bothering to watch them.

And this is the first time ever a new SW movie is coming out and I feel almost no interest in seeing it. After the last one, my SW fandom is at a low ebb. Sure, the new ones are better than the prequels because what movies aren't, but really. The Last Jedi was...just bad. And I don't hold out much hope for Solo.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's a lot of kids that love super hero movies. There's 130 million new kids born every year (4 million in the USA). Additionally there's millions of people in 2nd world countries joining the middle class every year.

So while some adults in the West may be tired of all these films, there's millions of new consumers for them every year.

I can understand wanting Star Wars to feel "special" by not over saturating it, but the days of SW being special are long gone. Disney wants to monetize it in the same way as the MCU.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's a lot of kids that love super hero movies. There's 130 million new kids born every year (4 million in the USA). Additionally there's millions of people in 2nd world countries joining the middle class every year.

So while some adults in the West may be tired of all these films, there's millions of new consumers for them every year.

I can understand wanting Star Wars to feel "special" by not over saturating it, but the days of SW being special are long gone. Disney wants to monetize it in the same way as the MCU.

The MCU knows how to tell an actual story and give depth to characters. Marvel knows how to set up a world and then have it develop.

Star Wars, by comparison, feels like it takes place in a 'galaxy' the size of a phone booth that apparently isn't important enough to explain or get significant time. Star Wars (at least the OT) has always been more about the setting than the characters. The characters are good, but they always worked with what was going on in the galaxy. The 'new' movies have the characters just doing whatever the f*** regardless of what's going on. None of it works because they don't do the work to set up the world and make the world the characters inhabit important. This is why a lot of people find Rogue One to be more satisfying than it should be; it's trading on the legwork that the OT did but that the new movies don't really bother with.

They will never change the studio leadership or even their approach until the money starts to fade. What a shame.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The goings on of the galaxy in the OT weren't all that interesting considering it was focused on the Rebellion and the Empire almost exclusively. Not sure where you got the idea that the galaxy was more engaging than the characters.

Lukes home planet was well developed. Also the rebellions planet in the second movie, Jabba's planet, Yoda's planet, the Ewoks planet, etc. Even the newer ones well developed the rebellions, the lava planet, the princesses planet, trade planet, robots, etc.

The latest not so much.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Lukes home planet was well developed. Also the rebellions planet in the second movie, Jabba's planet, Yoda's planet, the Ewoks planet, etc. Even the newer ones well developed the rebellions, the lava planet, the princesses planet, trade planet, robots, etc.
That didn't take precedence over getting to know and love the characters, though. That's all I'm saying.

Also most of those planets are not all that well developed. You get the idea of what they are about generally, but that's about it.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The goings on of the galaxy in the OT weren't all that interesting considering it was focused on the Rebellion and the Empire almost exclusively. Not sure where you got the idea that the galaxy was more engaging than the characters.

come on, that's not true at all. The Catina in Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, the bounty hunters, and the various flora and fauna of Dagobah were all really compelling. Even throwaway lines about planets like Dantooine, Ord Mantell, and Sullust made you wonder what was going on there.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That didn't take precedence over getting to know and love the characters, though. That's all I'm saying.

Also most of those planets are not all that well developed. You get the idea of what they are about generally, but that's about it.

Lucas made a point for the characters to go out and explore all of those planets. We could all give a good description of things like climate, creatures and indigenous life.

The traders post/bar in TWA had trees. That's about it. The secret slave place in TLJ had a racetrack. Some trees too? It's really not even close.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
come on, that's not true at all. The Catina in Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, the bounty hunters, and the various flora and fauna of Dagobah were all really compelling.
This seems like moving the goal posts. Selecting one thing from each planet does not a "Well developed" world make. Also keep in mind you are putting these settings up against the characters of these stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The OT films were more immersive IMO, the galaxy and its planets feels more realistic. Everything is dirtier. I think that might be part of the reason people consider the portrayal of the galaxy in the OT to be more intriguing.

Practical effects are very limiting, but I think it translates into a sense of grounding in a film. CGI is a great creative tool that lets your imagination run wild. You can defy physics more easily while adding more imagery and depth, but in doing so things start feeling less grounded.

Or it could just because we all saw the OT when we were kids...

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I think the OT was a perfect mix of all the right things. Good world building, good characters, a solid and simple story, cool technology and concepts, all mixed in a ton of great editing and cinematography.

I don't expect any new movie to reach that perfect balance, and am unsure of what the right formula for this new era of Star Wars movies would be. I have found all the movies entertaining but just not quite there in some or a few areas.

Reactions: HanSolo

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Lucas made a point for the characters to go out and explore all of those planets. We could all give a good description of things like climate, creatures and indigenous life.

The traders post/bar in TWA had trees. That's about it. The secret slave place in TLJ had a racetrack. Some trees too? It's really not even close.

Jakku was pretty well developed, as was Ahch-To.

That being said, we get brief moments on Maz's planet, Starkiller Base (as much as it's not really a planet), Canto Bight, and Crait. This is more akin to what we get out of Yavin than it is to what we get out of Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City, Endor, Naboo, or Coruscant. So I think the point is somewhat accurate. We're spending much more time in space than we are on planets in comparison to the Lucas movies.

I don't really have a judgment, as far as which is better, since I like TFA and TLJ quite a bit. But I do agree that there's a difference.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
come on, that's not true at all. The Catina in Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, the bounty hunters, and the various flora and fauna of Dagobah were all really compelling. Even throwaway lines about planets like Dantooine, Ord Mantell, and Sullust made you wonder what was going on there.

It's not that the sets weren't cool or were poorly thought out and shoddily designed. But if we quantified what made the OT great, xx thinks the setting/surface is more important than the characters, ArsBars (and I) think the exact opposite.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don’t think Marvel and Star Wars are necessarily comparable.

Marvel is a combination of many different stories, characters and worlds. Star Wars was only ever one story about a specific group of people.

Star Wars is more analogous to a singular Marvel property like X-Men or Spider-Man than it is to Marvel as an entire cinematic/comic universe.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad