Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Sure, but there’s plenty of reason to be skeptical. Getting Han Solo right is much harder and we haven’t had much to be positive about so far.
I completely agree. I do not have high hopes for this movie and they have not once demonstrated anything to look forward to.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I mean to a degree, but the point remains that it is way too early to make a determination about the performance.

While it is too early to make a definite determination about the performance, it is not too early to have first impressions. IMO, he wasn't believable as Solo in any of the scenes in this trailer except maybe one. Hopefully he'll look better in the next trailer.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
okay--now I am getting concerned about this movie. A few of the rags here in the UK are saying that there were more re shoots earlier in March and that they are delaying showing the movie to critics until a few days before the release now

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
okay--now I am getting concerned about this movie. A few of the rags here in the UK are saying that there were more re shoots earlier in March and that they are delaying showing the movie to critics until a few days before the release now

If they follow up a movie the fanboys hated with a movie everybody hates this franchise is going to in genuine trouble. Maybe Disney can salvage it, but it won't be the phenomenon they were hoping it would be. Disney surely assumed they were buying their next MCU when they purchased it but this thing might peter out before they even get started telling completely original Star Wars stories.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
If they follow up a movie the fanboys hated with a movie everybody hates this franchise is going to in genuine trouble. Maybe Disney can salvage it, but it won't be the phenomenon they were hoping it would be. Disney surely assumed they were buying their next MCU when they purchased it but this thing might peter out before they even get started telling completely original Star Wars stories.

eh, it's still going to make a billion bucks even if it's two hours of Greedo doing his taxes before Han shows up and caps him

Reactions: tacogeoff

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
With all the hand-ringing over Ehrenreich's performance as Hans, it appears any concerns over how well Donald Glover will portray a young Lando have gone by the wayside. With that said I am reasonably confident he can pull it off.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Despite all the rumors about production issues, acting concerns and behind the scenes drama, I highly doubt this movie is going to be terrible.

It's going to be extremely sanitized and safe. Passable and mediocre. Most people around here will probably like it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ I agree with the above post. It'll be passable and likable, I certainly don't expect it to be special but I trust Ron Howard far more than Rian Johnson (who's the idiot that thought it'd be a good idea to have that guy do a space sci-fi adventure film).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Looks pretty meh. Alden Ehrenreich looks pretty stiff.

Has there ever been an SW movie with this little anticipation behind it?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thought the trailer was...decent. Interesting aesthetics and tone. Kinda...I don't know the edittng felt strange.

I'll see it with lowered expectations but I'm expecting it to be fine.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks pretty meh. Alden Ehrenreich looks pretty stiff.

Has there ever been an SW movie with this little anticipation behind it?

No, but it's also the fourth star wars movie in 2.5 years. 3 years was the usual timeframe between movies within a trilogy in the past.

Attack of the Clones has been the only Star Wars movie to not be the biggest at the box office in its year of release (finished 3rd). Solo is probably hoping for top 5 at this point.

It's still a safe bet to turn a healthy profit, but, it's the consequence of putting out so many films is that it stops being that massive event.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Looks like a fun entertaining Star Wars movie. Not trying to be something it isn't *cough*TLJ*cough*

Reactions: Dialamo

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It certainly looks nice.

Han seemed more like Han as well, or at least what you could see as a younger Han.

Other than that it looks generic and forgettable.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Looks meh. 1 part the actor playing Han looks and sounds terrible in the role, and 1 part Disney milking this thing dry like a wraith in record time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I actually feel better about this movie after that trailer. It's got kind of a Western movie feel to it, which I've always felt fits well with Star Wars. Glover looks dead on as Lando and Ehrenreich is slowly winning me over, although that could all change seeing him for the entire movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad