Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
My coworker has been saying since they announced this and since TFA came out that we will find out that Han gets some injury in here to his left side where we'll see him get stitched up like Luke's hand so technically he could have survived Kylo's blade :laugh: if it happens, I'll shit myself.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Relieving to see most reviews impressed with Alden Ehrenreich's performance. I think that was a big hurdle for a lot of people for getting excited for this movie. I'm perfectly fine with some Star Wars stories without "high stakes". Leave that for the trilogy films, just give me a good, entertaining story.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Can Richie Cunningham save Star Wars?

I'm really hoping he does more Star Wars movies. He seems to be a fan, that also gets what type of movies they are. Also friends with George Lucas it seems and he was on set to help with one scene if I understood correctly. For the simple reason that he "gets" Star Wars, I hope he does more Star Wars.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It sounds like the movie is completely as expected. A mediocre film based around a bunch of predictle events.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Has anybody here read the old Brian Daley Solo books? If this movie has that kind of feel to it, I'll be happy.

Yep. Muurrgh the original giant walking carpet sidekick

Edit - Woops, those are the Crispin ones. I do have the Daley collection too but dont really remember them as well.

Some day I'll re-read all the old EU stuff. Im not even sure if the Daley novellas count as "Legends" books

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I've been burned by the last 2 Star Wars movies I went to see in theatres (Phantom Menace & TLJ) so unfortunately Star Wars will no longer get my money for their box office.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
IIRC pretty much the only complaint from critics about TLJ before it came out was that it was just too long

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yep. Muurrgh the original giant walking carpet sidekick

Edit - Woops, those are the Crispin ones. I do have the Daley collection too but dont really remember them as well.

Some day I'll re-read all the old EU stuff. Im not even sure if the Daley novellas count as "Legends" books

The Crispin novels were good too (and had nods to the Daley novels in I think the last of the trilogy). I'm just looking for that kind of fun Han Solo adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously, which it sounds like it is.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That’s absurd. Fun is how you describe a “popcorn flick” and like 90% of the Marvel movies that are good. There’s merit to it.

Only pretension can make “fun” an excuse for something “not fun.”
Nah. Not really. It usually means that it's unremarkable, but I think we're getting into semantics.

I have a high degree of confidence that you'll like the movie.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'll probably dislike this film based on the reactions. Star Wars, in my mind, is supposed to be grand. I have a problem with these spinoffs just being run-of-the-mill stories set in space. TLJ was really lacking in that grandness, that scale, which is part of the reason I disliked it so much.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
That’s absurd. Fun is how you describe a “popcorn flick” and like 90% of the Marvel movies that are good. There’s merit to it.

Only pretension can make “fun” an excuse for something “not fun.”

100% agree. It looks like a fun adventurous movie.

NO SPOILERS until everyone's seen it, but I can't wait to see it AGAIN. #SoHighFromSolopic.twitter.com/LTqDAKIHVF
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) May 11, 2018

Well if mark didn't RIP on it like TLJ, kind of getting excited to see it.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Why are they making so many? It used to be one star wars movie every 3 years , now it's every 6 months. I'm a fan, but if you make too many, too soon you're going to have some bad movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad