Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It worries me a little that that train sequence has featured prominently in every teaser and trailer so far. It feels like I've already seen the biggest action sequence that the film has and, contrary to expectations for a Han Solo Star Wars film, it doesn't have the Millennium Falcon or space in it. I hope that it's just a mid-movie action piece and not a climactic scene. Either way, it'd be nice if they would show us something different in the next trailer, especially more space shots. Between the train and Woody Harrelson, I've been getting more of a Hunger Games vibe than a Star Wars one :laugh:.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Chewy barely hanging on there at the end. I wonder if he going to make it?

I might only watch this because of Clarke and Glover. A Lando movie would have been more interesting.

I wouldn't count out the possibility of a Lando movie if Glover nails it in this movie. Although it seems like they've already got so many irons in the fire that I'm not sure how many more they can really add.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A Lando movie would have been more interesting.
I agree. It would be more interesting because we don't know much about Lando. We wouldn't know what to expect.

With Han, we know exactly what's going to be in this movie:
Han meets Chewy.
Han meets Lando.
Han acquire the Falcon.
The Kessel Run.
And so on.

*Yawn*

Pretty much anything from the Original Trilogy that referenced Han's past will be in this movie.

It would be more interesting if they created an entirely new character and made series about him/her. It could even be a Sith or something.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Would like to see a story about the betrayal of Darth Plagueis, and completely subvert everyone's expectations by making the true story completely contradictory to the one Palpatine told Anakin in ROTS.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I didn't like the teaser but this one looks good. My anticipation has raised.

People complain that Disney have made too many Star Wars movies, but at the same time we get thrice that number in super hero movies. The problem is that the SW movies don't meet our expectations. If they were awesome, no one would complain.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I didn't like the teaser but this one looks good. My anticipation has raised.

People complain that Disney have made too many Star Wars movies, but at the same time we get thrice that number in super hero movies. The problem is that the SW movies don't meet our expectations. If they were awesome, no one would complain.

The MCU has been quite an achievement in terms of the quality control of the franchise.

I’m not sure if DC or Star Wars can live up to that standard.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
TLJ soured me and my expectations for the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

They say that TLJ fell 200 mil short (not counting merchandise, etc) of expectations because well, it stunk. I wonder what the count will eventually be due to that? Will Solo fall a hundred or two hundred million short of expectations because of the leftover TLJ stink?

Will that movie cost Disney nearly a Billion dollars when all is said and done?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I agree. It would be more interesting because we don't know much about Lando. We wouldn't know what to expect.

With Han, we know exactly what's going to be in this movie:
Han meets Chewy.
Han meets Lando.
Han acquire the Falcon.
The Kessel Run.
And so on.

*Yawn*

Pretty much anything from the Original Trilogy that referenced Han's past will be in this movie.

It would be more interesting if they created an entirely new character and made series about him/her. It could even be a Sith or something.

People would then complain that "This isn't Star Wars" and slam Disney for creating something new

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The MCU has been quite an achievement in terms of the quality control of the franchise.

I’m not sure if DC or Star Wars can live up to that standard.

New Star Wars has not put out a movie even CLOSE to as poor a Iron Man 3 or Thor 2, etc. Hell even the prequels were better than the time frame comparable MCU movies like Maguire Spiderman crap. MCU gets a pass cause when they put a shit movie they release another one 2 months later so the conversation quickly changes. That's the only difference. Not too mention for some reason Star Wars has acquired a large toxic "fanbase" that will attack anything they do whereas MCU doesn't seem to have that following. No one I know, including people like me who are film buffs (or snobs as we are sometimes called by people who don't follow films like we do) has as big a problem with new Star Wars movies like this toxic part of the "fanbase" does, it's an entirely online troll/hipster movement, IMO.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I still don't understand why this movie isn't be released at Christmas. Looking at the release schedule at BoxOfficeMojo there is little competition for big budget action movies during the holidays of 2018...at least no more than previous years. This spring/summer over the course of 8 weeks we are going to have The Avengers: Infinity Wars, Han Solo Story, Deadpool 2 and Jurassic World 2. I think there is a good chance of significant cannibalization among these movies as the high grosses anticipated for each depends on multiple viewings. That is less likely to happen with these big blockbusters opening so close together. Infinity Wars is the least likely to be effected as it is first out of the gate and has 3 whole weekends to itself.

Even if this Star Wars movie is of reasonable quality along the lines of Rogue Squadron, I think it will have a tough time cracking $500 million domestically and $900 million worldwide. Releasing a week or 2 before Christmas as has been the tradition the previous 3 years might have resulted in a few hundred million more internationally.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
New Star Wars has not put out a movie even CLOSE to as poor a Iron Man 3 or Thor 2, etc. Hell even the prequels were better than the time frame comparable MCU movies like Maguire Spiderman crap. MCU gets a pass cause when they put a **** movie they release another one 2 months later so the conversation quickly changes. That's the only difference. Not too mention for some reason Star Wars has acquired a large toxic "fanbase" that will attack anything they do whereas MCU doesn't seem to have that following. No one I know, including people like me who are film buffs (or snobs as we are sometimes called by people who don't follow films like we do) has as big a problem with new Star Wars movies like this toxic part of the "fanbase" does, it's an entirely online troll/hipster movement, IMO.

I agree with Iron Man 2 and 3...plus probably a few other Marvel movies. However, I disagree with the Tobey Maguire Spider-man movies. The first one is good and the second one is still probably one of the best superhero movies of the new millennium. Third one was mediocre though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I still don't understand why this movie isn't be released at Christmas. Looking at the release schedule at BoxOfficeMojo there is little competition for big budget action movies during the holidays of 2018...at least no more than previous years. This spring/summer over the course of 8 weeks we are going to have The Avengers: Infinity Wars, Han Solo Story, Deadpool 2 and Jurassic World 2. I think there is a good chance of significant cannibalization among these movies as the high grosses anticipated for each depends on multiple viewings. That is less likely to happen with these big blockbusters opening so close together. Infinity Wars is the least likely to be effected as it is first out of the gate and has 3 whole weekends to itself.

Even if this Star Wars movie is of reasonable quality along the lines of Rogue Squadron, I think it will have a tough time cracking $500 million domestically and $900 million worldwide. Releasing a week or 2 before Christmas as has been the tradition the previous 3 years might have resulted in a few hundred million more internationally.

2018 Holiday release schedule notable films

Nov 9th
The Grinch (Animated)

Nov 16th
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Nov 21st
Creed II
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2

Dec 14th
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Animated)
Mortal Engines

Dec 21st
Aquaman
Bumblebee
Alita: Battle Angel

Dec 25th
Mary Poppins Returns

Actually a lot of big budget films with action Alita and Mortal Engines they would have to deal with along with a heavy dose of family films that will have legs carrying them well thru holiday's and then a movie like Aquaman which will be competing for some of the same market as SW

So overall dropping this on Christmas this year would maybe not be best option given the crowded field

And studios are not keen in having January as month of most exposure for movie as it is generally a slow month and can be effected by weather in parts of US as well as having the negative of kids being back in school

So when looking at that crowded field it isn't safest bet to drop a film like Solo there

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also Ralph and Mary Poppins are Disney films so releasing Solo to compete with them would not be wise business move for studio especially Mary Poppins which is a marque historical name for Disney

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They're dropping Solo a month after Infinity War and a week after Deadpool 2, so it's not like the timing there is much better either.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
No one I know, including people like me who are film buffs (or snobs as we are sometimes called by people who don't follow films like we do) has as big a problem with new Star Wars movies like this toxic part of the "fanbase" does, it's an entirely online troll/hipster movement, IMO.
That's interesting because my experience, (at least with TLJ), is the opposite of yours. I see lots of people online that love it, but I can't find any one in real life that does.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's starting to look like a fun movie! Rogue One and TLJ were very disappointing however so unless this movie is getting great reviews I won't bother.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They're dropping Solo a month after Infinity War and a week after Deadpool 2, so it's not like the timing there is much better either.

A month after Infinity War shouldn't be issue as by that point IW will start to see declines in Theater's , etc

As for Deadpool 2 as of now isn't the Disney purchase of 21st century Fox still not complete? So they would not be competing vs own product yet in Deadpool 2

Also Deadpool 2 will be rated R while Solo will be rated PG-13 which means though they will compete for some of the same audiences there will still likely be more of a demand for families to see Solo compared to families going to Deadpool 2

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Tobey Maguire was pre-MCU.

I'm surprised a film buff wouldn't know that.

Which is why I separated it and didn't include it my listing of MCU movies. Spiderman is still a Marvel property (and yes I know it was pre-Marvel Studios as well), I was just comparing the biggest superhero movies that were of contemporary with the prequels. All three of those turds would be among the worst of MCU (if not the worst), but they are not apart of it. Much like Nolan's Batman isn't apart of DC universe...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I realize you hated TLJ but how was Rouge One disappointing? It was a perfect fun Segway from original trilogy to new trilogy

Completely uninteresting characters in a completely uninteresting story. They made a movie about something that was, IMHO, relatively innocuous to the Star Wars universe as a whole. RO focused on background characters that are usually just there to be laser sponges so main characters don't die.

It was just a boring concept to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad