Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Bossk or IG-88 could be in the movie. If Fett is in, it won’t be anymore than a cameo.
IG-88 would be fantastic to see.

I think it would be great too if they brought in some expanded universe guys like Dash Rendar or Prince Xizor from Shadows of the Empire. I know it will never happen but that would be great. I mean Rendar is a smuggler from Corellia so that would make sense if we saw him.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
while the casting process has sort of started--sounds like we should get the official announcement of kenobi: A star wars movie announced within the next month or so for a may 2020 release. Pinewood studios sort of screwed up when they listed it as confirmed in December and have stopped taking bookings for their largest studio due starwars Movie being filmed. The next star wars movie starts filming on June 11 2018

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
while the casting process has sort of started--sounds like we should get the official announcement of kenobi: A star wars movie announced within the next month or so for a may 2020 release. Pinewood studios sort of screwed up when they listed it as confirmed in December and have stopped taking bookings for their largest studio due starwars Movie being filmed. The next star wars movie starts filming on June 11 2018

If they announce they're opening a casting for Obi-Wan, when Ewan McGregor is still young, I'm going to have a freak out.

I think it would be great too if they brought in some expanded universe guys like Dash Rendar or Prince Xizor from Shadows of the Empire. I know it will never happen but that would be great. I mean Rendar is a smuggler from Corellia so that would make sense if we saw him.

I don't know, there's a chance. Given how it seems like they're drawing significantly on the EU books dealing with Han's origins, I wouldn't be surprised to see more characters in.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Not sold on the guy they cast as Han. He looks wrong, His mannerisms are wrong, he sounds wrong. He is wrong for the part. They would have been better off using Harrison Ford and CGIing a young face on him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Prince Xizor is not a character that has aged well. He's basically trying to rufie Leia with his pheromones in that book. I believe the Outrider was in the Special Edition of ANH in Mos Eisley, so that would make some sense if Dash Rendar and Han are running in some of the same circles. I hope we actually get to see Corellia in this movie.

Speaking of bounty hunters, somebody apparently spotted what looks like Boushh's outfit in that one scene where it looks like Han is about to get into a shootout with the villain's gang.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Prince Xizor is not a character that has aged well. He's basically trying to rufie Leia with his pheromones in that book. I believe the Outrider was in the Special Edition of ANH in Mos Eisley, so that would make some sense if Dash Rendar and Han are running in some of the same circles. I hope we actually get to see Corellia in this movie.

Speaking of bounty hunters, somebody apparently spotted what looks like Boushh's outfit in that one scene where it looks like Han is about to get into a shootout with the villain's gang.

30kc77p.jpg

Boushh on the far right maybe? I don't really notice her anywhere else. I don't know kind of looks like a stretch to me but what a badass looking group here. This looks like a fun scene! And very well could be Tattoine.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Corellia is confirmed to be in the movie, specifically at the start. Dash is from Corellia as well, so I imagine if he's going to be in it (probably won't), it'll be at the start.

30kc77p.jpg

Boushh on the far right maybe? I don't really notice her anywhere else. I don't know kind of looks like a stretch to me but what a badass looking group here. This looks like a fun scene! And very well could be Tattoine.

Boushh is a man, but it doesn't really look like his suit anyway.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not sold on the guy they cast as Han. He looks wrong, His mannerisms are wrong, he sounds wrong. He is wrong for the part. They would have been better off using Harrison Ford and CGIing a young face on him.

You would think that they could get at least one of those right. No one expects a perfect Ford clone, but one or two things about him that fans can latch onto and help suspend their disbelief would've been nice.

I chalk it up to Disney's rush to milk the franchise. They should've taken their time and waited to find the right actor, refusing to start production until they found him. In the meantime, they could've gone ahead with the Kenobi movie, instead, since they already have the perfect actor for that and they need to use him before he gets much older.

30kc77p.jpg

I think that it looks like a pretty dumb scene, personally. Is this a Star Wars movie in 2018 or a Mad Max movie in the 1980s? In fact, I just noticed that there's a little person among that group of bounty hunters, which seems so 80s. I also like how each of them is in an action figure pose. I can almost see enormous, chubby fingers reaching down from the sky to re-arrange them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Punisher

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
You would think that they could get at least one of those right. No one expects a perfect Ford clone, but one or two things about him that fans can latch onto and help suspend their disbelief would've been nice.

I chalk it up to Disney's rush to milk the franchise. They should've taken their time and waited to find the right actor, refusing to start production until they found him. In the meantime, they could've gone ahead with the Kenobi movie, instead, since they already have the perfect actor for that and they need to use him before he gets much older.

I think that it looks like a pretty dumb scene, personally. Is this a Star Wars movie in 2018 or a Mad Max movie in the 1980s? In fact, I just noticed that there's a little person among that group of bounty hunters, which seems so 80s. I also like how each of them is in an action figure pose. I can almost see enormous, chubby fingers reaching down from the sky to re-arrange them.
You know, Harrison Ford despite his age can still play Solo. He proved he can do it. His body and movement look very close to how he looked in the 70's.His voice is still there. It would have cost a boatload of money to get him to do it and make him look younger with CGI but it would have been worth it. The guy is still doing Indiana Jones movies for Christ sake. To allow some unknown actor whose career is going to be savaged after this bad portrayal of Solo when the CGI technology is not only there but has been used successfully in nearly every adaptation of it and is only getting better with each passing day is a slap in the face to every type of Stars Wars fan out there. Hell, they could have used a Harrison Ford Hologram and it would have been better performance than what we are about to get out of this kid. If this movie turns out to be remotely entertaining Ron Howard deserves numerous Oscar's. God knows what it would have been had he not signed on.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't want an actor that just looks or sounds like Harrison Ford, I want one who can play Han Solo, if that makes any sense. Like in the radio dramas Perry King doesn't sound like Harrison Ford, but he does a convincing job of being Han Solo. It's more about embodying the core of the character than it is looking or sounding like him. It remains to be seen if Ehrenreich can pull it off, but I'm not going to pass judgment on him based on a few lines of dialogue in a trailer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's amazing how worked up people get over a dang trailer haha. Your opinion is incorrect. :)

I am guessing any movie that has a desert scene with dudes who look like scavangers are Mad Max ripoffs to you then? In that case there are thousands of movies that have scenes that ripped of Mad Max.

It's like you guys already know the story, the characters and what happens by this 1min trailer. I am betting that the movie with have a totally different atmosphere than what you are expecting.

Reactions: tacogeoff

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't want an actor that just looks or sounds like Harrison Ford, I want one who can play Han Solo, if that makes any sense. Like in the radio dramas Perry King doesn't sound like Harrison Ford, but he does a convincing job of being Han Solo. It's more about embodying the core of the character than it is looking or sounding like him. It remains to be seen if Ehrenreich can pull it off, but I'm not going to pass judgment on him based on a few lines of dialogue in a trailer.
Wait... you aren't going to completely decide everything about this movie based on that trailer? You don't belong here. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's certainly the most important thing. You can put a wig and a 5 o'clock shadow on a lot of guys and transform them into Han Solo, but it's just a facade if they don't have the character's mannerisms and delivery. I think that that's largely why the reports of Ehrenreich needing coaching were troubling, since they suggested that he wasn't getting the character right.

It's amazing how worked up people get over a dang trailer haha. Your opinion is incorrect. :)

People who get worked up always assume that others are as worked up as they are.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The acting coach thing could simply be Ehrenreich wanting to do everything he can to make sure he's getting it right. The guy has to know that if he bombs as Han Solo it could effect his career. I would hope he'd use every asset at his disposal to get the character right.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The acting coach thing could simply be Ehrenreich wanting to do everything he can to make sure he's getting it right. The guy has to know that if he bombs as Han Solo it could effect his career. I would hope he'd use every asset at his disposal to get the character right.

Well the sources reported that it was Disney who brought the coach in after they were disappointed in his performance and it was too late to fire him.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Respectfully, I disagree 100%. Your statement would be valid if the last time Ford played Solo was in 1983. Since we just saw him reprise the role less 3 years ago and showed the galaxy that he can still be Han Solo in every way makes this movie look like a mockery of the Star Wars franchise. Solo could be a great movie. The guy playing Solo will be bad. That's just rubbing salt in the wound. Tear it down and start over and pay Ford untold tens of millions of dollars to do it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Respectfully, I disagree 100%. Your statement would be valid if the last time Ford played Solo was in 1983. Since we just saw him reprise the role less 3 years ago and showed the galaxy that he can still be Han Solo in every way makes this movie look like a mockery of the Star Wars franchise. Solo could be a great movie. The guy playing Solo will be bad. That's just rubbing salt in the wound. Tear it down and start over and pay Ford untold tens of millions of dollars to do it.

So you've seen the movie then?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
People said the same thing about Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise the Clown and he nailed it.

You cannot make a determination on how this Solo character actually plays out until you see the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad