Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Checking?
Fighting?

Which is pretty sad because Cole is not very good at either.

Petry might be a little better offensively and they are about the same defensively.

Both Ann Arbor boys, might be a good pairing in the future, but not at the expense of Sobotka.

Sobotka will never play a game for the Blues again. He is a wasted asset right now.

Captain America*

Sobotka will never play a game for the Blues again. He is a wasted asset right now.

We could get something better than a Petry for Sobotka. That would be a waste of an asset.

I would wait until off season or next trade deadline, if need be.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
We could get something better than a Petry for Sobotka. That would be a waste of an asset.

Sobotka's rights are only going to go down in value the longer he stays in the KHL. Sooner the better. And Sobotka himself is worth just as much as Petry, so trading his rights for him is a no brainer.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Honestly I don't know what to do with Sobotka. I guess it all depends on how bad the bridge is burned. If there is chance to bring him back next year I do that over trading his rights. No one except Army and Sobie know if the door is closed completely though. If we could move Bergy at the draft and bring Sobie back over from the KHL and put him on Stastny's wing it would save us about 2mil in cap space and give Fabbri another year of development. Maybe I am just pining for Sobotka, it always felt like whenever our team was in a slump (like it is now), he was always the one you never had to worry about. He always brought it.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA

If Edmonton is willing to trade Petry for Sobotka's rights, when he possibly won't even choose to play for them, then the Blues literally can't do any better.

Very, very few teams will be willing to take a chance on a player without a guarantee he will come. At best in the offseason, the Blues could get a 2nd-3rd rounder. At the very best. To get a serviceable defenseman to come in immediately and help this season is the perfect deal.

I mean, I don't even know how someone can argue against that.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Checking?
Fighting?

Which is pretty sad because Cole is not very good at either.

Petry might be a little better offensively and they are about the same defensively.

Both Ann Arbor boys, might be a good pairing together, but not at the expense of Sobotka.

Petry offers an immediate upgrade on a much better team. All he's ever known is Edmonton.

Blues need a guy like Petry.

He can move the puck, block shots, has a good shot and skates well. He's also a tough SOB. Was top 20 defenseman in hit last year.

Guy is a solid defenseman on a terrible team. If you just look at his basic stats, nothing jumps out. Watch how he plays and where he plays and it's a different story.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah Sobotka for Petry is a pretty ideal trade for the Blues. Unless we're talking about a top 15 pick or good prospect, you usually should trade an unknown for a proven player who can help. And right now Sobotka may never play another game for the Blues, so even acquiring a rental for him would be a fine move.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'd have to think that Edmonton would want more than just Sobotka's rights in a return.

He would help that team, though, and get all the ice time he could want. Wonder if he would choose to stay there after his contract is up.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Robb didn't mention the source of the rumor. But Petry for Sobotka's rights sounds too good to be true. There would have to be some conditional element in any trade involving Sobokta, where the Blues are probably on the hook for a draft pick if he fails to report by a certain time (like next season training camp).

I can't even fathom how someone is of the opinion that the value of Sobotka's rights and his one-year arbitration awarded contract is much at all. He is physically in the KHL RIGHT NOW. He's already demonstrated that he'll play there if he doesn't like his contract. So, what will his next NHL GM be thinking about that contract negotiation even if he DOES return to honor the one-year deal?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Robb didn't mention the source of the rumor. But Petry for Sobotka's rights sounds too good to be true. There would have to be some conditional element in any trade involving Sobokta, where the Blues are probably on the hook for a draft pick if he fails to report by a certain time (like next season training camp).

I can't even fathom how someone is of the opinion that the value of Sobotka's rights and his one-year arbitration awarded contract is much at all. He is physically in the KHL RIGHT NOW. He's already demonstrated that he'll play there if he doesn't like his contract. So, what will his next NHL GM be thinking about that contract negotiation even if he DOES return to honor the one-year deal?

Well Edmonton won't need him until next year anyway..and he can get the ice time he thinks he deserves in Edmonton.

The rumor was offered up on CBC last night.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
is he back you guys think?

More than likely; he's already opted out of his KHL contract. Last summer his agent didn't know the rules and gave him bad advice, it was clear from the comments his agent made at the time.

I think he'll want to get the arbitration contract out of the way next season and it is highly unlikely that Armstrong will consider any trade offers.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'd rather have Cracknell and Sobotka than Ott and Goc.

so_say_we_all1.gif

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yeah Sobotka for Petry is a pretty ideal trade for the Blues. Unless we're talking about a top 15 pick or good prospect, you usually should trade an unknown for a proven player who can help. And right now Sobotka may never play another game for the Blues, so even acquiring a rental for him would be a fine move.

Petry who you serious? If Army can't make peace with Sobotka and get right compromise then I don't mind if we use Sobotka on trade piece, but why Petry if we have Bortuzzo?

Thou we could get some nice package with Bertta + Sobotka's rights. Or like Edmonton fans are screaming they need Dmen, but who is that guy to Edmonton roster? Jbo, but that would leave quite big hole our defence and they don't have nothing to add back.

Too bad Dallas hold this guy rights. Esa Lindell. Really impressed how he has played these couple games in WC.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love Cracknell, but Ott and Goc are both way better than him.
Well Sobotka would be an upgrade on Goc, so yeah I'd take Cracknell and/or Porter over Ott. Not just to save money, but Ott isn't getting any younger, so his effectiveness will only decrease from what it is now.

I'd actually be interested in seeing Cracknell and Porter get more regular playing time to see how they do.

Petry who you serious? If Army can't make peace with Sobotka and get right compromise then I don't mind if we use Sobotka on trade piece, but why Petry if we have Bortuzzo?

Thou we could get some nice package with Bertta + Sobotka's rights. Or like Edmonton fans are screaming they need Dmen, but who is that guy to Edmonton roster? Jbo, but that would leave quite big hole our defence and they don't have nothing to add back.

Too bad Dallas hold this guy rights. Esa Lindell. Really impressed how he has played these couple games in WC.
I made that post before the deadline.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Armstrong said he'd welcome Sobotka back with open arms and I'd have to agree with him, his grit and faceoff and pk ability would be nice to have back, decent playmaker too.

I just hope Sobotka would take a 4th line role with the ability to jump up lines due to injury or whatever. Or you can try to move Backes to right wing (although he seems so much better at center for some reason) and make Stastny and Lehtera 1 and 2 centers and Sobotka the third line center.

I like the idea of a 4th line of Cracknell/Porter-Sobotka-Reaves, I remember Cracknell and Porter both being effective in the playoffs before and it would be a cheaper option than having Ott at 2 mil if they needed to save some salary.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I like him on the wing more, but he can sure smother smaller, scoring centers.

Why would you put Sobotka on winger. He has been our best FO guy. Putting him on 4th line is crazy. I have think about that he would be perfect guy Lehterä and Tarasenko.
Tarasenko and Sobotka got good chemistry 2 years ago. He could be that ensuring guy and take more responsibilities on d-zone when Lehterä and Tarasenko could play more freedomly, but its fights that two good FO guys in same line and its waste off.

Steen with Lehterä and Tarasenko didn't work on my mind at all. We know Steen and Backes are beasty together and IMHO maybe best 2-way top 6 forwards who play together. We know Schwartz works with Lehterä + Tarasenko, but Stastny needs that guy.

So duo's are whom we shouldn't broke.

Lehterä - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny
Steen - Backes
Ott - Reaves

But we could see that Sobby is starting on 4th line C, but grind up again 2nd C. :sarcasm:

RR10*

Why would you put Sobotka on winger. He has been our best FO guy. Putting him on 4th line is crazy. I have think about that he would be perfect guy Lehterä and Tarasenko.
Tarasenko and Sobotka got good chemistry 2 years ago. He could be that ensuring guy and take more responsibilities on d-zone when Lehterä and Tarasenko could play more freedomly, but its fights that two good FO guys in same line and its waste off.

Steen with Lehterä and Tarasenko didn't work on my mind at all. We know Steen and Backes are beasty together and IMHO maybe best 2-way top 6 forwards who play together. We know Schwartz works with Lehterä + Tarasenko, but Stastny needs that guy.

So duo's are whom we shouldn't broke.

Lehterä - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny
Steen - Backes
Ott - Reaves

But we could see that Sobby is starting on 4th line C, but grind up again 2nd C. :sarcasm:
That's not good enough bro. Trading only Oshie won't be enough. Need more changes, like Backes, Oshie, Rattie for Giroux/Malkin. We need a legit 1#center badly. Berglund, Jaskin to Edm for something. Bring in Oduya, Lindbohm and some more legit D-man and get rid of soft guys like Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
That's not good enough bro. Trading only Oshie won't be enough. Need more changes, like Backes, Oshie, Rattie for Giroux/Malkin. We need a legit 1#center badly. Berglund, Jaskin to Edm for something. Bring in Oduya, Lindbohm and some more legit D-man and get rid of soft guys like Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson.

I just got a letter telling me that Giroux and Malkin trades have fallen through. What next?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
At no point does Philly trade Giroux to us for anything less then Pietrangelo. Even then, that's a step back..so that's a pure value trade.

Malkin...it's not happening so stop beating it to death. There aren't any high end 1Cs that are getting moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad