Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
Just can't help myself....I have to check in and say this thread cracks me up considering I proposed trading sobotka even up for miller and was just hammered for suggesting that we give up our #1 center sobotka for miller....Gotta love it ...one month later and he's a third liner you know just like I said. Bob Bassen with a little better hands.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sobotka was never our #1 and it'd still be stupid to trade him without getting an upgrade at center in return.

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
Sobotka was never our #1 and it'd still be stupid to trade him without getting an upgrade at center in return.

Where trading a UFA goalie , an offensive winger, a 1st and a 3rd which could turn into a 1st was sheer brilliance. I understand your point. Mine in case you missed it was sobotka's value, not if the trade worked perfectly.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Where trading a UFA goalie , an offensive winger, a 1st and a 3rd which could turn into a 1st was sheer brilliance. I understand your point. Mine in case you missed it was sobotka's value, not if the trade worked perfectly.

Whatever the point was, the suggested trade was horrible for all involved. Buffalo never, ever would have agreed to it. We would have been foolish to offer it as well. Buffalo is in a deep rebuild and had a lot of needs. They wanted lots of guys or picks with upside. If you thought they would have taken Soby straight up for Miller, you were the one way over-valuing him. It would have taken a #1 center for them to do a even player for player swap. On our side, it would have further compromised our center depth and left us with 3 goalies on a one way contract. I've heard of win-win trades but that is a lose-lose one for sure.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
no rest for the wicked :D

The Czech Republic has named their team for the 2014 IIHF World Hockey Championships, which will be hosted in Minsk, Belarus in early May. Among the notable players officially named to the roster on Sunday are ageless power forward Jaromir Jagr, likable Sharks forward Tomas Hertl, and St. Louis Blues grinder Vladimir Sobotka.
http://beta.thescore.com/news/495269

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Apparently Vlad was knocked out by a jumping headshot from Abdelkader today, Abdelkader got a game misconduct

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Brutal hit. Even when they're out of our division and not even playing in the NHL, the Wings still find ways to screw us.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
In a ****ing World Championship? What an idiot. I'm going to be very pissed if he has a serious concussion.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
1994107-img-sport-hokej-reprezentace-cesko-usa-sobotka.jpg

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Why is Abdelkader the captain of Team USA? :laugh:

Also, was the puck even near Soby? I don't see it in the video or the picture.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks jura.

Do we have any update on his current condition?

And I'm pretty sure the puck is up in the air, really wish I could see more of the play than just starting right there, because I can't understand why he would do that?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
That is a super dirty hit. What a dumb play by Abdelkater. Jumps right into Sobotka's head.

The NHL really needs to start taking a better stand on this. I know this happened in the IIHF, but these are NHL trained hockey players. When the NFL decided to get rid of head-shots for defenseless players, those hits vanished for the most part in a couple of years. Yet in the NHL it seems like every night we see guys jumping into each others' heads even though the League has been "cracking down" on headshots for a decade. There's literally no defense for why the NHL hasn't changed it's culture, other then the guys at the top just haven't made it happen. It's stupid that Roger Goodell can get it done, yet the NHL can't.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Why is Abdelkader the captain of Team USA? :laugh:

Also, was the puck even near Soby? I don't see it in the video or the picture.

Vlad had just shot it on net about 1 second before the hit. It was late, it was charging, it was a leaping shoulder to the head. The refs initially weren't calling anything, but Vlad just lay on the ice until they stopped play. I'm not sure the rules on replay in the IIHF, but they ended up calling 5 and a game misconduct for "charging".

Abdelkader was dropping a myriad of f-bombs on camera directed towards the refs while the call was in the process of being announced (it took quite a while to get the ruling). It was a pretty ugly moment.

Vlad didn't appear to lose consciousness. He went directly off the ice. Unclear whether he'll suffer a concussion from that hit, but it wouldn't be the least surprising. I found myself rooting for the Czech Republic after that happened (they have Hertl and Jagr, too, playing in his last international tournament).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That was a bad hit. I hope Sobotka is ok. That 5 second play perfectly sums up the end of the Blues season. Hits the post, gets cheap-shot and hurt all in one play. All we had at the end of the year were posts and injuries. We need our bad luck to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad