Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He wanted a full time role in the top 9, preferably at centre. We signed/extended Stastny, Lehterä and he was looking being a 3rd/4th line tweener again. We were asking to play for less than he wanted and in a lesser role, he wasn't willing to compromise on both.

I've no idea where the top 6 stuff came from. Sobotka messed Armstrong around for a year, that's why I'm annoyed by the entire situation.

If they were both 3 year deals, I'd completely agree. Backes is likely looking at the Kesler contract, I don't want Backes at $6m in 2020.

You can't make a statement like that and ignore the term. Backes would have expected a long term contract (like the 6x6M mentioned above). That would not have been the better move.

I don't think Backes gets that term from anyone so it's a moot point.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com

Who are you using for your comparables then?

to keep this on Sobotka, he is definitely better than Berglund and Lehtera. Does he have the higher possible upside of the 3? Nope. But he is the little engine that could, he NEVER quits on the play and that sort of player I will take on my team.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Kesler is the closest comparable to Backes and signed a 6 year deal worth almost $7m last summer. Starts next season. You might not think that Backes will get 6 years, and you might be right, but that is absolutely the type of term he would have been looking for last summer.

That's almost certainly a factor in why we signed Lehterä when we did, we wanted one of them signed.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Kesler is the closest comparable to Backes and signed a 6 year deal worth almost $7m last summer. Starts next season. You might not think that Backes will get 6 years, and you might be right, but that is absolutely the type of term he would have been looking for last summer.

That's almost certainly a factor in why we signed Lehterä when we did, we wanted one of them signed.

Oh I understand why he did it, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be looking to unload him this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad