Sobotka - Staying in KHL for 2015/16

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I'm a big fan of Sobotka, don't get me wrong, but this guy has been absolutely brutal offensively this series. He was so bad tonight that I thought making a new thread would be in check. Did anyone see JR's tweet? I mean gosh, he can't even hit the net, and he passes when he has wide open chances.

Is it a stretch to say I'd rather see Roy on the PP than him? Maybe. But he needs to get off the PP and start PKing more and getting out of offensive efforts.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
His shot has always sucked.

He's a good all-around player that belongs on the 3rd-line. That's been true long before this series and nothing has changed nor will it ever change.

We know what we need this offseason. Let's hope Armstrong gets it because we can't go another playoffs with this center lineup.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
For those curious, I never understood the whole "need for a #1 center" during the season, but good god I understand it now.

Seeing Sobotka on the PP has been horrendous, and I can now FULLY understand the need not just for a scorer, but for someone who can actually play the top center position.

I don't think it's anything against Sobotka, I just think it's the fact that this team has nobody else to play instead, and rightfully so, better him than a Lappy or someone like that.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I love Sobotka, but he's a 3rd liner at best on a contending team.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Sobotka is just one of those guys that you go to war with and you always know what you're going to get. A somewhat offensively limited player, but he's a great possession player, and you know he's going to hound the puck and play good defense. He's pretty much the perfect third line center. We've been able to get away with him on the second line because Schwartz and Tarasenko have stepped up, but ideally we need to push him down a line. It's really a shame that he doesn't have a better shot because I think that holds him back offensively. Having said that, he's shot looks particularly anemic right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's hurt.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He was never good offensively, not sure why people would think any differently

RR10*

If you are going to judge Sobotka you have to do it based on his #3C role, because that's what he is. It's not his fault this team lacks center depth. It's like putting Lapierre on the first line due to injuries and blame him for not contributing on offense. :) Sobie is a great third liner, he's not the problem.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
He's injured, right? We've seen him play far better against the hawks this year alone.

For the record, the common thinking was that it was knee injury that kept him out of the final regular season games.

Then:

1. He took the knee on knee hit by Bickell. Went to the dressing room, but came back.

2. Took a slap shot to the hand while on the pk. Went to the bench, but came back.

3. Had his head slammed against the glass from the Bickell hit. Left the game, but came back in OT.

There's no doubt that he's hurt. But having said that, it is a fair point that he's injury prone and his size is part of that.

But the point is legitimate, he hasn't been as physical as he was at points during the regular season.

As for his lack of offensive finish, that's what he is (or isn't) unfortunately. I am a little disappointed because players like Sobotka often do step up with big goals in the playoffs and he doesn't.

He'll never have an awesome shot, but there are things he could be doing that he doesn't. He could drive the net more, put more pucks on the net (doesn't need to be great shots) and just go to the front of the net more.

I find the most frustrating thing about Sobotka offensively is his trademark move is to float out to the high slot. He's too far out to screen the goalie, yet he doesn't have the shot needed to make the opposition pay. I'd rather see him just jam the net. I guess he figures to be defensively responsible it's always better to be out high so he's not out of position defensively when there's a turnover....but that's part of what creates the turnover - Sobotka being too far out.

It's a shame, because he does some things that are conducive to being effective offensively. He usually gains the zone well, he's usually good at the cycle (although as noted, he hasn't been as good in the playoffs as he was earlier in the season). And his favorite move is to turn back and put it back to the point. But it's always the same things. Peel back and put it back to the point or wait around in the high slot.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We use 7 forwards on the PP; Steen, Oshie, Backes, Schwartz, and Tarasenko are the locks, then we had Roy, Berglund, and Sobotka for the last 2 spots. The last 3 all have flaws for being on the PP, so it's not like Hitch had a ton of options.

Ideally next season we have Steen, Backes, Oshie, Schwartz, Tarasenko, center(Stastny), and either a vet signing or Jaskin/Rattie or Berglund to stand in front of the net like he did in the lockout season.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Soby was playing with like one arm during the series.

I'd love him as our 3C next year. Definitely need a #1 C no doubts about that. But I think a big need is a hjalmarsson or willie mitchell type defensemen to play with shatty. If and only if polak gets moved...obviously polak and jackman on the same pair is horrendous but i wouldn't mind a cole and jackman 3rd pair

RR10*

Soby was playing with like one arm during the series.

I'd love him as our 3C next year. Definitely need a #1 C no doubts about that. But I think a big need is a hjalmarsson or willie mitchell type defensemen to play with shatty. If and only if polak gets moved...obviously polak and jackman on the same pair is horrendous but i wouldn't mind a cole and jackman 3rd pair
Jackman is the worst defenseman on this team.

RR10*

No he's not.
Yes he is together with Colaiacovo and Leopold. Jackman is a defensive d-man and sucks at defending. Where's the logic in that? He's one of the biggest problems this team have and has been for years.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yes he is together with Colaiacovo and Leopold. Jackman is a defensive d-man and sucks at defending. Where's the logic in that? He's one of the biggest problems this team have and has been for years.

Polak and Leopold were far, far worse than Jackman this year. You just hate him.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Sobotka kept getting hurt and kept coming back to play. He might have needed to be benched due to his injuries. Letting a guy like that go who absolutely has no fear, tons of heart and no give up in him, would be a major crime. You put a 3rd/4th line player like him on a top line and complain he doesn't have the talent to pull it through? Come on now.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
[Jackman]'s one of the biggest problems this team have and has been for years.

I will grant you that Jackman was not terribly good this playoff series, as he often is against much faster teams.

However anyone who avers, without compunction, that Barrett Jackman has been one of the St Louis Blues' largest issues over the years is someone whom I feel quite correct in questioning if they understand some of the most basic tenets of the game of professional hockey.
The other possibility is that they are an unfortunate escapee of the St. Louis Post Disgrace forums, since I do believe that is the epicenter of all Jackman hate in St. Louis.

I am going to presume the former since it is a more palatable option and As such I can only offer some words of hope to you:
I know it is your first time watching the NHL playoffs, but do not fret the Blues will almost certainly play in the playoffs again next year.
Probably lose in the first round again, but they will get another chance.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I think we have seen that while Sobotka can have flashes of inspired play, he is simply inadequate for the role foisted upon him.
Seriously, someone needs to help Sobie work on his shot over the summer. There is no reason a professional should have a shot that slow and that poor. Even goons have better shots.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I think we have seen that while Sobotka can have flashes of inspired play, he is simply inadequate for the role foisted upon him.
Seriously, someone needs to help Sobie work on his shot over the summer. There is no reason a professional should have a shot that slow and that poor. Even goons have better shots.

I think it has a lot to do with the tiny twig that he uses. It allows him to be a shiftier puck handler, but he loses any velocity on his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad