Post-Game Talk: So much bad

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I’d encourage you to look at the Penguins lineups they won with in 2017 and 2018 on defense. 2017 especially.

Our defense is no worse than those lineups. Roster commitment to team defense isn’t in the same league, however.

Blaming everything on roster construction is so lame and so old. This is not a talent issue; this is a commitment and focus issue across the lineup top to bottom.

McDavid and Drai can push the pace early in games and force the other team to scramble, but they don’t.

Skinner has the ability to be a great goalie and tighten up the range in his game, but he doesn’t.

McLeod can play a strong two way checking game, but often chooses not to.

Kane can play a simple north/south physical style focused on hitting and shooting, but often would prefer he’s playing in an all star game instead.

Ceci could play a simple, but effective game that cuts out risk, but he doesn’t.

RNH could play a fast brand of hockey with quick puck movement and plays to the middle of the ice, but he often chooses not to.

I could go on. This has absolutely nothing to do with talent on this roster. This roster has difficulty playing with consistency and to the best of their ability individually. Every player on this team finds a way to be the worst version of themselves, and often find ways to do it all at the same time. They are a mentally weak team, and that’s everyone on the roster. The on paper roster flaws of a better #4 d man and a better 3rd line C are not near enough to make us the worst team in the league for stretches of every single season.
Very accurate. Lots of capable men. They just dont show up to work on a regular basis.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Drai's

"Shitty play of late"

He's 5G 9A 14 pts in 10 GP since allstar break.

Drai shitty, Drai lazy, Drai terrible.

Some of the comments on here. holy f***.

Somebody that always has some perspective to add. Thanks for it.

This is exactly what I'm seeing too. Fans too lazy to even take a close look that are just doing their usual conclusion.

Because a lot of have seen what the Oilers look like when we don't have elite players its easy for me to appreciate the ones we do have the times they are here.
Yup I dont get it, fans will blame Drai but defend Skinner lmao

Tells you all you need to know about those same fans

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’d encourage you to look at the Penguins lineups they won with in 2017 and 2018 on defense. 2017 especially.

Our defense is no worse than those lineups. Roster commitment to team defense isn’t in the same league, however.

Blaming everything on roster construction is so lame and so old. This is not a talent issue; this is a commitment and focus issue across the lineup top to bottom.

McDavid and Drai can push the pace early in games and force the other team to scramble, but they don’t.

Skinner has the ability to be a great goalie and tighten up the range in his game, but he doesn’t.

McLeod can play a strong two way checking game, but often chooses not to.

Kane can play a simple north/south physical style focused on hitting and shooting, but often would prefer he’s playing in an all star game instead.

Ceci could play a simple, but effective game that cuts out risk, but he doesn’t.

RNH could play a fast brand of hockey with quick puck movement and plays to the middle of the ice, but he often chooses not to.

I could go on. This has absolutely nothing to do with talent on this roster. This roster has difficulty playing with consistency and to the best of their ability individually. Every player on this team finds a way to be the worst version of themselves, and often find ways to do it all at the same time. They are a mentally weak team, and that’s everyone on the roster. The on paper roster flaws of a better #4 d man and a better 3rd line C are not near enough to make us the worst team in the league for stretches of every single season.
Sure. Astute point with Pens. The Pens are the outlier. The rare team that wins SC's without elite D although Letang is. But the Pens won cups through being the best puck possession club on the planet. They would dominate puck possession and skill through the lineup to do it.

i don't agree that our D is no worse. Again we lack anything close to a skill D like Letang. Its possible in future Bouchard could be a gem.

The roster construction is the issue whether you accept that or not. This is an org that didn't even set the table for McDrai and took several years even putting something together with them. The entire time Chiachaos was here he was just bombing out the lineup instead of building one. In earnest the team didn't start making actual improvements to lineup until about 2000-2001.

I never said the team was lacking in talent. Comments like that are as if you'r not reading the posts. The roster was constructed in haphazard way with no plan. Lets just add this player, lets just add that player, lets not draft properly, lets not hold onto players we did draft etc. The team is a hodgepodge.

Vegas basically showed us how to have a plan in mind, what type of team you're trying to build and putting that together. The last time the Oilers were able to do something like that is 05 when they had an NHL cap in place and all these teams having to pare top talent. On its own this org can't construct.

Good luck trying to convince me that McDrai etc are "mentally weak". The 15 or so players just thrown into the lineup hoping something ignites, thats what is weak. That the org has no plan is weak.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yup I dont get it, fans will blame Drai but defend Skinner lmao

Tells you all you need to know about those same fans
Can't they both be blamed, along with a host of others like McDavid, Kane, McLeod, who all regularly take their lumps on here during our horrific play? Why is Draisaitl like some sacred cow to some of you, who can't stand to see any type of criticism towards him and typically blame others on the team, injuries, management, etc, etc.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Can't they both be blamed, along with a host of others like McDavid, Kane, McLeod, who all regularly take their lumps on here during our horrific play? Why is Draisaitl like some sacred cow to some of you, who can't stand to see any type of criticism towards him and typically blame others on the team, injuries, management, etc, etc.
No they cant, one tries his hardest every game and has a positive affect on 95% of the games.

One is a fraud, and loses us games on a nightly basis.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sure. Astute point with Pens. The Pens are the outlier. The rare team that wins SC's without elite D although Letang is. But the Pens won cups through being the best puck possession club on the planet. They would dominate puck possession and skill through the lineup to do it.

i don't agree that our D is no worse. Again we lack anything close to a skill D like Letang. Its possible in future Bouchard could be a gem.

The roster construction is the issue whether you accept that or not. This is an org that didn't even set the table for McDrai and took several years even putting something together with them. The entire time Chiachaos was here he was just bombing out the lineup instead of building one. In earnest the team didn't start making actual improvements to lineup until about 2000-2001.

I never said the team was lacking in talent. Comments like that are as if you'r not reading the posts. The roster was constructed in haphazard way with no plan. Lets just add this player, lets just add that player, lets not draft properly, lets not hold onto players we did draft etc. The team is a hodgepodge.

Vegas basically showed us how to have a plan in mind, what type of team you're trying to build and putting that together. The last time the Oilers were able to do something like that is 05 when they had an NHL cap in place and all these teams having to pare top talent. On its own this org can't construct.

Good luck trying to convince me that McDrai etc are "mentally weak". The 15 or so players just thrown into the lineup hoping something ignites, thats what is weak. That the org has no plan is weak.

Vegas is an interesting team to reference, because they are quite literally a hodge podge of random players. The only drafted player on that team of any relevance is Hague, and even he’s not a key piece. This is since the expansion draft too - anyone they added is basically a shiny object that they chased down, not much different than us.

I don’t know how you could call a team that varies between being the best team in the league and the worst team in the league as anything other than mentally weak.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Opinions can be whatever you want them to be, facts are true
And facts are what you want them to be, dependent on hos you observe things. But we'll agree to disagree. One player sucking and another struggling badly can be mutually inclusive.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You get more leash when you are a Hart trophy winner who is still one of the best players in the sport. Skinner is a nobody 3rd round pick who hasn't done shit in the league.

Reactions: iCanada

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets try a different aspect we don't do a lot. Lets look at the opponent game.

Backlund had a solid game and often does and plays a sensible game playing effectively within his game.

The Calgary D, particularly Hanifin, Weegar, Tanev had one of their beter games. Each were effective and making plays.

Hate to admit it but Kadri had a good game and had some stand up to his game as well being a pest. Concerning that he was far better than Kane on the night.

Coleman was good and doing what he should and had the balls to nail even McD.

Even Huberdeau was good and creative in this game.

Vladar was good as I established.

But Flames had several players that weren't much either. I thought Sherangovich was awful in this game. He was a giveaway machine. Mangydog was ineffective. Zary looked like an NHL imposter most of the night. Andersson wasn't too good.

Flames had the players you expect to be decent come up and be decent. But some of the upstarts for the Flames this year, the players they bank on for futures, they weren't any good. I'll say this too that Backlund guy is a normative looking player but you need guys like that who constantly play a sensible responsible game. The guy is so easy to coach. As a purist I like his game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Terrible? Is overshooting the comment. Imagine what this club looks like without Draisaitl. Many here, seemingly, will get that wish I fear.

Drai is having an ordinary superstar season. Still around topten production.

The view that he's been terrible is born of getting used to having the 1,2 production players in the league almost any season. It isn't a view thats very objective

As I mention regularly the shot is the first thing an aging scorer loses. Drai is only 28 but with more mileage due to how much punisment he eats with his style of play and being a power forward in this league. A lot of the types of players, look at Lindros, they don't even have long careers.
I love Drai as much as you but he’s definitely fallen off this year. I’m hoping it’s just a bad year and not a sign of things to come.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
AS always theres quantum difference between players that are great, and that 31 other teams would want, like McD and Drai, and those players that are just average, like Skinner, who wouldn't even be a #1 starter on around 30 teams in this league. Easily 15 teams in this league wouldn't even have Skinner in the NHL.

just saying

People can blame our top players as much as they want. But there shouldn't be any confusion about what players even make this a playoff worthy club.

I love Drai as much as you but he’s definitely fallen off this year. I’m hoping it’s just a bad year and not a sign of things to come.
Drais defensive game was worse last year. Perhaps overshadowed by more scoring and producivity.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
AS always theres quantum difference between players that are great, and that 31 other teams would want, like McD and Drai, and those players that are just average, like Skinner, who wouldn't even be a #1 starter on around 30 teams in this league. Easily 15 teams in this league wouldn't even have Skinner in the NHL.

just saying

People can blame our top players as much as they want. But there shouldn't be any confusion about what players even make this a playoff worthy club.

Drais defensive game was worse last year. Perhaps overshadowed by more scoring and producivity.
He certainly doesn't seem to be skating as well this year. Not a lot of jump.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
See lots of comments on Drai here. He isn’t lazy but he does take terrible selfish penalties. We were still in the game when he made that bonehead move. love the guy but that stuff can’t happen…
This he does do, and that can't happen. But this was after his goalie let in 3 goals on around 5 Flames scoring chances and with the goaltending this season, or ever, he's seen that movie all to many times. Both McD and drai are frustrated and I suspect there are reasons for that. Of the two its Connor McDavids fault that an imposter like Connor Brown is here, and that Foegele who often floats, is still here. McD went heavily to bat for both of these guys.

The one thing that can be stated of Drai is he's a superstar that doesn't make roster or linemate demands. Connor McDavid unfortunately does.

This is exactly the type of season one would see from a superstar if they were entertaining options of where they will be next and looking at all options. Drai as hinted at that, and I think its true. The seasons start gave me added reason to think that.

He certainly doesn't seem to be skating as well this year. Not a lot of jump.
I suspect if you looked at him he'd have bruises/contusions on him most of the time. His style of play eats a lot of punishment as it does for power forwards in the NHL. Still, he looked to have plenty of jump beating contain multiple times last night and steaming into Vladar. Drai created that goal with his determination. Game previous he was involved in both Oilers goals. With 5G 9A last 14GP he's probably playing well enough. WE have a lot of players here that shouldn't even be seeing toi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibanez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I notice that you. Do you think he thinks he’ll be traded or just leave in free agency?
Pick your poison. Hard to say.

Due to his relationship with McD its tough on him but without that its a slamdunk he'd be saying by now he wants out. Superstars owe it to themselves to play on a team with a realistic chance of winning. Drai scoring 13goals last playoffs in 12GP is a strong indication this team is not going to provide that opportunity.

That Drai isn't even appreciated in this market might even come into play. I mean Drai could go to Boston or NY and everybody would love him. Oddly enough in Edmonton they don't. Wouldn't escape Leon that he would be the marquee player on around 25 teams and that he's spent his whole career not even being talked up.

I suspect that due to the optics of trading a superstar that this org would be reluctant to do that due to how many times this org has done something like that. But the alternative of just losing him also bad.

Holland is weak at reading these situations too. Hopefully he's just the figurehead. I think what happens with Drai is the negotiation becomes an impasse, the league suspects that he is, and we end up either having him play through contract in the hopes we nail a cup, or get diminished assets for him.

Reactions: Duke74

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
See lots of comments on Drai here. He isn’t lazy but he does take terrible selfish penalties. We were still in the game when he made that bonehead move. love the guy but that stuff can’t happen…

He's lazy when you see him glide and wait for the puck rather than engage the play himself. Goes back to Tmac days bitching about Drai and him seemingly not wanting to skate.

If you notice, the only time he seems engaged and has more jump to his game lately is when he plays with McDavid. Aside from that, he's generally making stupid plays or worse, not even trying at all. Too many 'I'm going to slow down the flow of the game so I get double teamed and do a magic no looker backhand pass' or "Ill just wait for the puck to come to me rather than skate towards it" junk.

The selfish penalty bit is a whole different problem...

Such a temperamental player, Jekyll Hyde

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
He's lazy when you see him glide and wait for the puck rather than engage the play himself. Goes back to Tmac days bitching about Drai and him seemingly not wanting to skate.

If you notice, the only time he seems engaged and has more jump to his game lately is when he plays with McDavid. Aside from that, he's generally making stupid plays or worse, not even trying at all. Too many 'I'm going to slow down the flow of the game so I get double teamed and do a magic no looker backhand pass' or "Ill just wait for the puck to come to me rather than skate towards it" junk.

The selfish penalty bit is a whole different problem...

Such a temperamental player, Jekyll Hyde
I have some patience for bigger players. They often just look slow. While a different player Penner often looked the same.

The penalties he takes often feel “lazy”. Beat them on the scoresheet!!!

I do agree that the low chance passes across the ice are very annoying. I loose my mind when he does that

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You get more leash when you are a Hart trophy winner who is still one of the best players in the sport. Skinner is a nobody 3rd round pick who hasn't done shit in the league.

Hey now, he did set an NHL record for number of consecutive playoff starts where he was pulled.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
People should stop constantly using the term McDrai. It's getting old. McDavid is a generational talent who is by far the best player in this league and has been for some time. For me, it's McDavid and then everyone else on the team, on a tiered basis. Everything runs through him, and there really is no one else close. Sorry for the rant.
McDavid is clearly a cut above everyone else, but I see Draisaitl as on the next tier by himself, and then Nuge/Kane/Hyman/Ekhom/Bouchard (maybe Nurse) after that, followed by everyone else. Unfortunately, Draisaitl has been playing down to the third tier far too often this year.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
People say he is lazy because he plays lazy. Thats a fact. Not sure how anyone could watch a game and not come to that conclusion.

An amazing talent yes, but a lazy one.
It was already pointed out that the "lazy" perception is indeed a lazy narrative from certain posters. Power forwards often give that impression due to their greater size. I'd like to see you play 23 minutes a night weighing 225ish and then we can talk about lazy.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
It was already pointed out that the "lazy" perception is indeed a lazy narrative from certain posters. Power forwards often give that impression due to their greater size. I'd like to see you play 23 minutes a night weighing 225ish and then we can talk about lazy.
Calling Leo a power forward these days is laughable. His ONLY power move is puck protection. He avoids contact without the puck more than Connor Brown does.

His laziness isnt perception. Its real and folks cut him slack because hes an immense talent.

Unfortunately we wont win much with that style especially since 97 has lost his mind defensively lately as well.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Listed at 209. Why 225 mid season? Skinner diet as some posters would suggest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad