Speculation: Snow, Weight to Remain With the Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Not interested in Lou, would much rather have one of TB or Nashville's assistant GMs.

I want Snow out. If it was a serious option I would roll out the red carpet for Lou, even though he's not my first choice.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Anyone think that the isles should hire Trotz? AFAIK this is his last year with the caps and if they lose to CBJ (which is a very real possibility), he won't be back.
Or maybe this is just wishful thinking. But I mean come on. You CANNOT go back to Weight. The D was unprecedentedly and historically bad. Losing deHaan did not destroy the season, I don't care how many ways and in how many languages Snow says it in. The dipshit does not know X's and O's, most of us could have run a more comprehensive system

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
If I'm a perspective hire, I look at the Islanders and see a young team with;

- Two top 12 picks and 4 picks in the top 50 in the up coming draft
- $33m in cap space
- One established Super Star under 28 (needs to be signed)
- One upcoming Star under 21 on his ELC
- Ownership that seems committed to spending money to build a winner
- Soon to be new building
- Vastly under preformed the last two years

This is a team you could step into right now that you could immediately put your stamp on though the draft, with signings and potential trades. In a great market, that is close to the NHL offices in NY and TO. Where in all honesty a few minor tweaks and a change in on ice philosophy would get this team right back into the playoffs. All I'm looking for is Ownership to guarantee that fat man has no power over me, and I have full control of hockey ops including hiring and firing of any/all staff below me.

Everything you wrote is true and makes for a compelling situation for an executive, who could bring in a professional, quality coach who knows how to coach and teach - BUT - there are players on the rosters who need to be cut, and they don't have a viable starting goalie. A good GM could plug these holes and make the necessary changes fairly quickly, Snow might need 5 years before he could pull of a reasonable trade to obtain an NHL-starting goalie, and even longer to obtain decent top 4 dmen.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Everything you wrote is true and makes for a compelling situation for an executive, who could bring in a professional, quality coach who knows how to coach and teach - BUT - there are players on the rosters who need to be cut, and they don't have a viable starting goalie. A good GM could plug these holes and make the necessary changes fairly quickly, Snow might need 5 years before he could pull of a reasonable trade to obtain an NHL-starting goalie, and even longer to obtain decent top 4 dmen.

What players need to be cut? Ladd is a given, but he's still serviceable as a bottom 6 forward and his salary isn't a hindrance (yet). His NMC goes away this coming season, not that he's tradeable.... but in case of another expansion draft, he no longer has to eat up a spot. It does get shaky with his salary on the books in a couple more years, but who knows what happens with the cap, expansion etc. Maybe there is another compliance buy out? Maybe they can pay assets to get him of the roster in expansion? Maybe by then he decides to retire? The point is, don't make a decision on that until you absolutely have to, or somehow get a clean way out. Just about every team has a player on their roster they would like to take a mulligan on.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I want both. Lou for hockey prez (accountability) and new blood for GM (upcoming talent).
That would be nice but i’m already asking a lot for one competent person in the front office so if we get just that i’ll be thrilled.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Because the right way is to let the new front office make that decision. They might be inclined to shuffle the coaching staff and bring in someone with a strong defensive strategy.
You are assuming there is a new front office. I saw that press conference. I came away thinking it was a rehearsed distraction. Hopefully that's wrong but... Islanders.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lamoriello would be the one guy who would have no problem taking a position with Snow still in place. Complete autonomy would be a prerequisite to his hiring. What happens to Snow/Weight would be his decision exclusively.

Why would he come here? Maybe for the challenge of turning around the preeminent franchise at the time of his entering the league? All the while having a low profile in comparison to Toronto.

Are you seriously freakin' kidding? The only way Lamoriello comes here with snow still in place in any capacity is to do his son a favor. Now way 60 year old Lou takes a president position where he cannot hire his own GM.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
What players need to be cut? Ladd is a given, but he's still serviceable as a bottom 6 forward and his salary isn't a hindrance (yet). His NMC goes away this coming season, not that he's tradeable.... but in case of another expansion draft, he no longer has to eat up a spot. It does get shaky with his salary on the books in a couple more years, but who knows what happens with the cap, expansion etc. Maybe there is another compliance buy out? Maybe they can pay assets to get him of the roster in expansion? Maybe by then he decides to retire? The point is, don't make a decision on that until you absolutely have to, or somehow get a clean way out. Just about every team has a player on their roster they would like to take a mulligan on.

I was referring to guys like nelson, seidenberg, hickey, quine, prince, fritz, etc who have no business being on an NHL club.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Flames fired Gulutzan and coaching staff. Unsuprising move, but thats another team looking for new coach. (If we even end up looking for coach... :()

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Are you seriously freakin' kidding? The only way Lamoriello comes here with snow still in place in any capacity is to do his son a favor. Now way 60 year old Lou takes a president position where he cannot hire his own GM.

You alright there Franco? You mean to quote someone else? You seemingly addressed nothing that I wrote about.

Only situation Lamoriello would accept will allow him complete control to do whatever he wants. What am I missing?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Lou is 75

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You alright there Franco? You mean to quote someone else? You seemingly addressed nothing that I wrote about.

Only situation Lamoriello would accept will allow him complete control to do whatever he wants. What am I missing?

Well here's the phase you wrote:

"Lamoriello would be the one guy who would have no problem taking a position with Snow still in place. Complete autonomy would be a prerequisite to his hiring. What happens to Snow/Weight would be his decision exclusively."

The first line seems to contradict the next two since I believe if snow must remain in the building per his contract then...

1. Lou cannot remove him.
  2. I believe it undermines ANY President/GM who comes here and therefore I don't think anyone of Lou's stature would take such a position no matter what snow's title is.

The only way I'm ok with snow being any part of the Islanders if no matter his title it comes with paid leave where he works from home every day.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Well here's the phase you wrote:

"Lamoriello would be the one guy who would have no problem taking a position with Snow still in place. Complete autonomy would be a prerequisite to his hiring. What happens to Snow/Weight would be his decision exclusively."

The first line seems to contradict the next two since I believe if snow must remain in the building per his contract then...

1. Lou cannot remove him.
  2. I believe it undermines ANY President/GM who comes here and therefore I don't think anyone of Lou's stature would take such a position no matter what snow's title is.

The only way I'm ok with snow being any part of the Islanders if no matter his title it comes with paid leave where he works from home every day.

Maybe my wording was poor. I have a tendency to jump around and address things as they really are and as I would do if I was in control.

You’re suggesting that Lamoriello or any quality GM would not accept a position with Snow still in control. I don’t disagree necessarily.

I can see, as you and others have suggested; some of the younger less established AGMs (Brisebois, Fenton, Futa etc.) finding it difficult to ensure they will have ownership’s complete trust... terefore, reluctant to join with Snow around.

Where as Lamoriello at this point in his career doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone. He is a future hall-of-famer who was instrumental in developing the salary cap CBA. He is easily one of the most influential people in hockey. He’s known as the “Godfather of Hockey” for a reason.

I was suggesting that if he would ever actually agree to join the Isles (a miracle imo). That mere fact would automatically mean Snow is not in charge or has any significant influence.

There is no universe or parallel universe that Lamoriello would ever be anyone’s punk. He will have everything clearly agreed upon and all his demands met by ownership before joining. What happens to Snow will be decided by Lamoriello before, after... basically whenever Lou decides to get around to it.

More to the point, I’m less concerned with Snow still here with Lou, than I am with Snow still here with any other candidate. Because to me Lou joining clearly signifies that Snow has been relegated. Obviously, Snow gone is preferable.

Disclaimer: Only concern is that Lou and Garth reportedly have a good relationship. Hopefully, Lou wouldn’t see Snow as a similar kind of reclamation project as the Isles.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Maybe my wording was poor. I have a tendency to jump around and address things as they really are and as I would do if I was in control.

You’re suggesting that Lamoriello or any quality GM would not accept a position with Snow still in control. I don’t disagree necessarily.

I can see, as you and others have suggested; some of the younger less established AGMs (Brisebois, Fenton, Futa etc.) finding it difficult to ensure they will have ownership’s complete trust... terefore, reluctant to join with Snow around.

Where as Lamoriello at this point in his career doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone. He is a future hall-of-famer who was instrumental in developing the salary cap CBA. He is easily one of the most influential people in hockey. He’s known as the “Godfather of Hockey” for a reason.

I was suggesting that if he would ever actually agree to join the Isles (a miracle imo). That mere fact would automatically mean Snow is not in charge or has any significant influence.

There is no universe or parallel universe that Lamoriello would ever be anyone’s punk. He will have everything clearly agreed upon and all his demands met by ownership before joining. What happens to Snow will be decided by Lamoriello before, after... basically whenever Lou decides to get around to it.

More to the point, I’m less concerned with Snow still here with Lou, than I am with Snow still here with any other candidate. Because to me Lou joining clearly signifies that Snow has been relegated. Obviously, Snow gone is preferable.

Disclaimer: Only concern is that Lou and Garth reportedly have a good relationship. Hopefully, Lou wouldn’t see Snow as a similar kind of reclamation project as the Isles.

So many things to dissect, but the last line you wrote (about snow/Lou being close) is yet another reason why we won't get a quality GM/President with snow on board in any capacity...

Because snow knows most of the good candidates for GM/President and most any of them wouldn't "do that" to snow.

Also again Lou is 75 and my concern is that IF, and that's a massive IF, he came to the Isles it would be in an arrangement where he was just here to groom his son to take over in 2-3 years and there are few people out there I want less than snow and Chris Lamoriello is one of them. It's bad enough he's " Director of Player Personnel" now.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The absolute dirt worst thing about this situation is that the local hockey media couldn't possibly care any less. If this were the rags they would be demanding the Dolans be publicly executed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The absolute dirt worst thing about this situation is that the local hockey media couldn't possibly care any less. If this were the rags they would be demanding the Dolans be publicly executed.

Well I don't think it's only because they care less, but also because snow has basically funneled all PR through him the past 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad