Speculation: Snow, Weight to Remain With the Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Chances are already against him losing his duties as GM, let alone being removed entirely. If anything happens at all, he'll get reassigned to a figurehead position like Milbury did. So long as the new guy is the right guy and given autonomy, there's no reason to believe they can't improve and set a better course while Snow watches in embarrassment. The claim you're making above is pretty dramatic. Be prepared to be disappointed of you think that's going to happen, as I'm sure you are.

I'm prepared for snow to one day own the Islanders, so I such as heck don't expect him to be removed as GM.

That said, if there's a 1% chance it happens...I pray that L&M do it right and not some half-a$$ed way that keeps snow in the building.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The whole thing really makes no sense. Why go through that entire press conference deal if you were going to fire both guys anyway

Why hire a GM and then fire him after 40 days...?

Because you don't know what you're doing.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If there is some crazy firing clause in Snow’s contract, how does it not get leaked? It’s amazing how everything in Islanders country is surrounded in secrecy.

With how tighlipped these guys are maybe our government should hire them.

Leaked? Do you see the way the Islanders do business under snow? Try to find out how much any coach has gotten paid over the last 15 years.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lou might. Staple said he has a good relationship with Snow. Put Snow in charge of ticket sales and the Coliseum renovation, make Chris the GM and Make Lou the president. Weight gets shot into space. Everyone is happy.

Well I guess we are hoping for Boston to win round one. Hell, even Tampa winning round one too which would make Fitzgerald available.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Well I guess we are hoping for Boston to win round one. Hell, even Tampa winning round one too which would make Fitzgerald available.

I’m pretty sure Tampa wins that series. The Devils got help last night from dumb penalties from Tampa. I don’t know if Tampa stays out of the box if they can possibly win that series trying to outplay them at even strength

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I hate to cry but we could have had Gallant as head coach and McPhee as GM LAST YEAR . . .

And probably have kept a 1st round pick too . . .

Everyone wishes we had these two guys running things, but maybe all we needed was an expansion draft designed to help us compete right off the bat?

Reactions: periferal

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I hate to cry but we could have had Gallant as head coach and McPhee as GM LAST YEAR . . .

And probably have kept a 1st round pick too . . .

I don’t know if Gallant is all that great. He didn’t seem too good in that series in 2016. I’m not a big fan of Trotz or Vigneault either and it’s highly possible one of those two is the next guy here if indeed Weight is out if we have a new GM since they are likely to be the two biggest names out there this summer

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Still remember when Snow was backup for the Isles and Milbury was stepping down, our company seats were against the glass at the Bell Center and the backup goalies usually sat there before they
put up a curtain. I ask him if there was any news on the GM search, he promptly replied "why dont you apply?

If I'd known at the time he was going to be the next GM, I should have applied

Ha, how ironic. Sounds like the jerk we've come to know quite well.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
One factor that has to be taken into account; would Fitzgerald even want the job? It takes two to tango, unfortunately. The good news is, there are a lot of other names out there, you've just got to look. Mathieu Schneider is another name out there with executive experience and respect around the league.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Gallant was out coached by Cappy, hard pass on that one. I don't know a whole lot about Chris Lamoriello, but he was cast aside by the Devils.... that always gave me pause.

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
Botta confirms they are looking for a new head of hockey operations, but why would Snow remain? No candidate will take this job if they have to work with a bumbling fool. Maybe the plan is to hire their guy and have him fire Snow and his cronies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
One source said that Malkin and Ledecky will wait for the completion of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs -- to see which executives become available -- before intensifying the process. A conversation with Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello, whose son Chris is the Islanders' assistant GM, should also be of interest to the Islanders' owners if the legendary ex-Devils boss becomes available.

Many of the top candidates will not be interested in joining the Islanders unless Malkin and Ledecky give them complete autonomy of the hockey operations.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’m pretty sure Tampa wins that series. The Devils got help last night from dumb penalties from Tampa. I don’t know if Tampa stays out of the box if they can possibly win that series trying to outplay them at even strength

Yeah, I know. NJ did outshoot TB in game 2 by a large margin though.

Still, Schnieder isn’t 100% healthy nor has he been all year accordng to Andrew Gross. I think TB takes the series too but NJ will put up a good fight

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If I'm a perspective hire, I look at the Islanders and see a young team with;

- Two top 12 picks and 4 picks in the top 50 in the up coming draft
- $33m in cap space
- One established Super Star under 28 (needs to be signed)
- One upcoming Star under 21 on his ELC
- Ownership that seems committed to spending money to build a winner
- Soon to be new building
- Vastly under preformed the last two years

This is a team you could step into right now that you could immediately put your stamp on though the draft, with signings and potential trades. In a great market, that is close to the NHL offices in NY and TO. Where in all honesty a few minor tweaks and a change in on ice philosophy would get this team right back into the playoffs. All I'm looking for is Ownership to guarantee that fat man has no power over me, and I have full control of hockey ops including hiring and firing of any/all staff below me.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
One source said that Malkin and Ledecky will wait for the completion of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs -- to see which executives become available -- before intensifying the process. A conversation with Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello, whose son Chris is the Islanders' assistant GM, should also be of interest to the Islanders' owners if the legendary ex-Devils boss becomes available.

Many of the top candidates will not be interested in joining the Islanders unless Malkin and Ledecky give them complete autonomy of the hockey operations.

Lamoriello would be the one guy who would have no problem taking a position with Snow still in place. Complete autonomy would be a prerequisite to his hiring. What happens to Snow/Weight would be his decision exclusively.

Why would he come here? Maybe for the challenge of turning around the preeminent franchise at the time of his entering the league? All the while having a low profile in comparison to Toronto.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Could there really be smoke to this fire?

Snow gonna get the Bighead from Silicon Valley treatment and a young, highly-touted GM can lead this team forward? With Weight gone as well when the new GM picks his replacement?

Really don't want to get my hopes up here but... come on Ledecky, come on Malkin, win us fans back.

Reactions: PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad