Speculation: Snow, Weight to Remain With the Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/doug-weight-et-tous-ses-adjoints-seraient-sur-le-point-detre-congedies/

• According to some sources close to the record, the Players Association would put a lot of pressure on Tavares to sign a $ 15 million contract per season (for 8 years). It would raise the NHL pay scale with a snap ...
I never understand this line of thinking. There is a salary cap and most teams will be near the ceiling. Why would the NHLPA care if stars are making $15M? Overall team salaries wouldn't really change. The only thing that truly changes salaries would be changing revenue split.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If that’s the case then I guess nobody is signing him because I can’t think of any team that can afford that where Tavares would have any desire to play. It would have to be Arizona or something and even then they’d not be able to sign anyone else for the next 5 years

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Doughty and Karlsson can seek 15M per.

Doesn’t have to be JT.

I don’t care how big of a union guy JT is. Winning is his top priority.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I never understand this line of thinking. There is a salary cap and most teams will be near the ceiling. Why would the NHLPA care if stars are making $15M? Overall team salaries wouldn't really change. The only thing that truly changes salaries would be changing revenue split.
It’s actually worse than that. The PA rank and file are all the guys that get squeezed if the stars take max deals. One would think the PA pressure would be for the stars to take less so the rank and file got more...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It’s actually worse than that. The PA rank and file are all the guys that get squeezed if the stars take max deals. One would think the PA pressure would be for the stars to take less so the rank and file got more...

And that will ultimately lead to another lockout. It's crazy how the players were locked out the last time only to see GMs throw crazy money at free agents at first opportunity.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think he was just helping his buddy out by ensuring he'll be employed and/or get a huge payout. I'm annoyed that Malkin and Ledecky didn't have protection from this sort of thing legally (needing certain financial commitments approved by them sort of thing) and if they were, boy did they mess that up.

I totally agree with this, but then again I don't think there's any objectivity when dealing with wang. I think he's off the reservation and probably the only way he'd sell is if he had the 2-year "transition" period where he could do whatever he wanted.

I really hate that guy. Worst thing that's ever happened to the Isles. Literally not one positive thing came from his ownership years.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
It's sickening to hear Bettman praise Wang, who kept the Islanders in a state of mediocrity with his horrible GM's (Milbury & Snow) and salary cap shenanigans!

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
According to Jean-Charles Lajoie, a Montreal radio host, Lamoriello is about to fire Doug Weight and all his assistants. He said he has his sources and he has no reason to doubt them. He added that the announcement will be made in the coming days. He also added that Garth Snow may remain officially the GM, but in fact it will be Lamoriello who will now make all the decisions. I can always put you the link, but it's in French. Lajoie made the announcement while he was talking to Mike Bossy. The latter was unaware of what was going on among the Islanders. Personally, I don't know if Jean-Charles Lajoie is really credible with his sources, all I know is that he is a popular radio host here in Montreal, but I am very curious to see if what he said today will prove true. We'll see!
Sorry to quote myself but let's recognize that Jean-Charles Lajoie has good sources!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Was unaware this guy has inside insight

Wouldnt the pressure have been on McDavid then, to raise the bar?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
OK, but does it really warrant any further discussion? Unless we want to discuss Snow's car parking skills.

At least until we know what their roles would be? Yeah, I'd think it can warrant further discussion, depending on their responsibilities.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I kinda still want to know what their new roles will be too. The most important thing is though they both need to be completely left out of the decision making process, which is clear that they are after the news today

Reactions: Instant

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
At least until we know what their roles would be? Yeah, I'd think it can warrant further discussion, depending on their responsibilities.

I mean, if past precedent is any indication, there's not a lot of discussion to be had about Ron Francis's new role in the Hurricanes organization. Really, it just means that they continue to draw a paycheck from Malkin because they were under contract.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
wouldn't be upset with Weight being on the bench as an assistant if it helps us keep JT. Garth needs to go scout somewhere far away.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I mean, if past precedent is any indication, there's not a lot of discussion to be had about Ron Francis's new role in the Hurricanes organization. Really, it just means that they continue to draw a paycheck from Malkin because they were under contract.

And if that will be a case and we will know that, then fine. But at this moment we don't, so I don't understand why the existence of this thread is so uncomfortable for you.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
And if that will be a case and we will know that, then fine. But at this moment we don't, so I don't understand why the existence of this thread is so uncomfortable for you.

Uncomfortable is an interesting way to describe how you think I'm feeling from across the internet, but that's really not it at all. It's more about concentrating attention and discussion on topics that are currently and legitimately relevant to this franchise. What these two clowns are going to be doing to earn the rest of the money guaranteed in their contracts (HINT: not much at all) isn't really that. But by all means, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad