WWE: Smackdown Live Part 12: Cena buries more talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It's weird because Corbin/Ambrose is also lining up to be a match like that. I don't know if they're going for two gimmick matches like that, or maybe one of them turns into a Ladder or TLC match, either for the IC Title or for a Smackdown contract (Styles/McMahon).

Corbin/Ambrose could also be a Last Man Standing match.

I'd be fine with two "hardcore" style matches. It will be interesting to see which feud gets what match type. I feel like both need them. Ambrose/Corbin for storytelling purposes and AJ/Shane so that Shane can just be a spot monkey since he can't compete with Styles in an actual wrestling match.

10-12 minutes of Shane trying to wrestle with AJ would be dumb. It should be a brawl so AJ can wrestle and then they both do a couple spots.

I know that Styles deserves better than Shane at 'mania, especially after inexplicably losing to Jericho last year, but at least its a high profile match and will probably be wildly entertaining.

This. It could be worse I guess.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The match itself will probably be alright...I just want a good story to go with the match. AJ slamming his head through a window doesn't do enough for me. I want AJ to make a power move...demand a trade to Raw or have Shane be removed as commish if AJ wins. I hope next week we'll get some actual context to the challenge since we got a 2 second response before the hard out.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
shane vs AJ is just a terrible idea, but the match will be sweet compared to Goldberg/Brock, Taker/Reigns and has already a better build than Ambrose/Corbin.... those two are just boring af.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I know that Styles deserves better than Shane at 'mania, especially after inexplicably losing to Jericho last year, but at least its a high profile match and will probably be wildly entertaining.

Yeah you know both guys are going to do as much crazy **** as they are allowed to do. Hopefully it's not like Shane-Taker which was 30 minutes of building to a spot that everyone knew was coming.

Also if the plan is to turn AJ face down the line, I hope they book the feud in a way where Shane and DB are constantly dicks to AJ and keep screwing him on SD. Styles goes over Shane and turns face after Mania

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know if I should consider it sad that Styles/McMahon will be one of the better matches on the show or just chalk it up to "well, duh... it's AJ, one of the GOATs."

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Which is more sad?

Shane's last 2 mania opponents have been AJ and Taker

Or

AJ's 2 mania matches have been a filler feud with Jericho before Jericho got hot again and a match against Shane McMahon

Tough call there

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jericho's hot in every aspect except his in-ring work anyways. It wouldn't have made a difference there.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Jericho's hot in every aspect except his in-ring work anyways. It wouldn't have made a difference there.

Iirc this time last year Jericho still had that stigma of being a part timer who just showed up to put people over. Sure, he was still popular, but there certainly wasn't as much interest in his character and storylines as there is now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Iirc this time last year Jericho still had that stigma of being a part timer who just showed up to put people over. Sure, he was still popular, but there certainly wasn't as much interest in his character and storylines as there is now.

That's true, Jericho's work was pretty average before the Styles feud. After that he moved into the Ambrose feud with SIXTY THREE TACKSSSSSSSS and eventually the Owens stuff. It was really the Styles feud that got Jericho on track again.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
That's true, Jericho's work was pretty average before the Styles feud. After that he moved into the Ambrose feud with SIXTY THREE TACKSSSSSSSS and eventually the Owens stuff. It was really the Styles feud that got Jericho on track again.

My favorite spot of the Survivor Series match was him screaming "You still owe me 15,000 dollars" at Ambrose when they were in the ring together :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People don't even remember that Jericho and Ambrose had a terrible match at Extreme Rules.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Crazy hardcore **** isn't exactly what I want from an AJ match.

Dude is the greatest wrestler around. I want to see him actually wrestle in a 25 minute showcase.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Crazy hardcore **** isn't exactly what I want from an AJ match.

Dude is the greatest wrestler around. I want to see him actually wrestle in a 25 minute showcase.

Yeah but its against Shane, who can't wrestle. Hence why is basically has to be a spot fest to be entertaining. AJ can only do so much here. Shane is limited

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

He's still better than most of the roster. Including the guy who's supposed to be cena 2.0

People don't even remember that Jericho and Ambrose had a terrible match at Extreme Rules.

That entire idea was awful.
At least jericho did the thumbtack spot and give everyone a crazy surprise.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
He's still better than most of the roster. Including the guy who's supposed to be cena 2.0

That entire idea was awful.
At least jericho did the thumbtack spot and give everyone a crazy surprise.

AJ/Reigns was significantly better than AJ/Jericho tbf.

Could just be a style thing though.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
AJ/Reigns was so much better than AJ/Jericho. Reigns always works better with smaller guys, though. It's weird, he either works really well with smaller guys that he can bully (Rollins, Styles, Balor), bigger guys that can bully him (Show) but works poorly with guys that are roughly his size.

As for Jericho, I think he's merely average in the ring these days. Looking at the current roster, I'd say all these guys are better than Jericho in the ring these days: Styles, Alexander, Cesaro, Balor, Gallagher, Cena, Owens, Harper, Neville, Orton, Reigns, Rusev, Zayn, Joe, Sheamus, Rollins.

And that's not including NXT guys.

And you can make a case for the likes of Wyatt (psychologically), Anderson (almost exclusively wrestles tag matches tho), Gable/Jordan, Crews (he can work, he's just bland everywhere else), Ambrose (depends on if he wants to have a good match or phone it in), Lesnar (depends on if he's doing Suplex City stuff or actually working), Kalisto, Kofi (rarely wrestles long-form singles anymore).

Jericho's probably smack dab in the middle of the roster in terms of in-ring work anymore, maybe even a bit on the lower end. It's not a slight on him, he's just getting older and has naturally declined a bit.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It should be noted that being on the low end on ring work in this era of WWE is really no slight at all. The roster is stupidly stacked on talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad