WWE: Smackdown Live Part 12: Cena buries more talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I'm not on about Rock today, I'm on about Rock when he was still a wrestler.

Rock was a big reason you had the boom period, it was because he was able to connect with people outside of wrestling and bring them in.

Austin's program/push with vince is widely regarded as the "boom" period of WWE more and more adults tuned in to see a guy beat the **** out of his boss and everything else took off on top.

Not to say that rock did not help propel WWE to the juggernaut it is today, but again, people are just throwing out accolades for the guy as if he needs anymore recognition than he has :laugh:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Austin's program/push with vince is widely regarded as the "boom" period of WWE more and more adults tuned in to see a guy beat the **** out of his boss and everything else took off on top.

Not to say that rock did not help propel WWE to the juggernaut it is today, but again, people are just throwing out accolades for the guy as if he needs anymore recognition than he has :laugh:
It wasn't just Rock, nor was it just Austin. Nor was it just the two of them. It was a lot of thing, but Rock was one of the biggest single reasons (but I do put Austin above him as a lot centred around him while Rock was still turning into Rock).

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think Rock had a hotter peak but Austin had a longer run.

Meltzer had tweeted out something about Rock being the only guy to draw over 10k in attendance for house shows over a long period of time while Austin was gone but I can't find it now.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think it was about the old Newsletter he uploaded last week, that had a bunch of houseshow numbers in. They averaged about 11k+ per show in 1999.

But I'd agree with that, Rock was higher, Austin was longer. It's one of those big 'what-if' questions you'll never answer. How would everything gone if only one of them was around? Rock was never in a position to do what Austin did, and at the same time Austin had some thing holding him back too.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It wasn't just Rock, nor was it just Austin. Nor was it just the two of them. It was a lot of thing, but Rock was one of the biggest single reasons (but I do put Austin above him as a lot centred around him while Rock was still turning into Rock).

I mean people of the business themselves believe that austin era is what lead to it all, it's not just fan opinions.

But besides that point, it was definitely a combination of Austin/Rock and DX and everyone else following suit.

Austin was just red hot on all cylinders, Rock had the tools to succeed and DX literally influenced vince into the monday night wars and letting him go into the attitude era and all the crazy nudity and cussing stuff they had done leading up to that. When i say literally i mean they literally went to him and started telling him ideas how to change the show and fight WCW and all that other stuff.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The WWE had to go that way because WCW was putting out programming for an older audience while WWE at first was going for a PG feel. They'd lose and DX knew that.

Austin had a BIGGER peak, but Rock is what kept it going. Austin only really had a solid run. Kurt Angle is the one who mentioned it recently. Said Austin is the greatest of all time, but for the shortest amount of time. Once Austin regressed, Rock took it over and ran with it massively.

There's obviously more pieces to the whole thing, but Rock was the one who did carry it. Well before he went to Hollywood.

Regardless as a human being, which is what the conversation was about. I don't think there's a person on the earth that has more charisma then the Rock atm. As a person on a daily basis.

Austin isn't that charismatic.. He had a great character, at the right time, doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad