WWE: Smackdown Live Part 12: Cena buries more talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AJ carried the **** out of that fued and AINEC. It's not a surprise he's the only one that could make a 4 star match with sleeping superman.

jericho may be past his prime but he didn't need AJ to carry him.

That's subjective based on how good you think Roman's matches are. Roman has 4-star matches all the time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Everyone is so sick of Roman's push that they continue to underrate him because of the burn out.

He's a good worker and has had plenty of four-star+ matches.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
Everyone is so sick of Roman's push that they continue to underrate him because of the burn out.

Oh for sure if they treated him properly got him out of the shield stuff (song and attire) and didn't push him to the moon so fast that he could of been a huge name. But with Bryan still in the picture and other superstars more over then him you just play it out and have him get over naturally.

The Rock is the biggest example for how to do things properly. The whole Die Rocky Die chants turning him into one of the biggest Heels in recent memory and then his talent came through as one of the biggest names in wrestling ever.

I don't know how Vince can't look back at that and say..... That might work.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Oh for sure if they treated him properly got him out of the shield stuff (song and attire) and didn't push him to the moon so fast that he could of been a huge name. But with Bryan still in the picture and other superstars more over then him you just play it out and have him get over naturally.

The Rock is the biggest example for how to do things properly. The whole Die Rocky Die chants turning him into one of the biggest Heels in recent memory and then his talent came through as one of the biggest names in wrestling ever.

I don't know how Vince can't look back at that and say..... That might work.

I don't think Reigns has the natural charisma that Dwayne Johnson has though

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'm sick of him because his matches are lazy. He's a good worker and a safe worker because his matches consist of HIM getting his ass kicked between rest holds. That is until the inevitable spear and Superman punch. How can he hurt a guy when he follows the safest match formula known to man. The only reason this guy can pull off a four star rating is because for one, brief shining moment everyone in the world thinks there is a chance that's gonna lose. They hope for it. They pray for it.

It's not just push MCG. This isn't poor Roman can't catch a break. This isn't "he's a good worker and haters are gonna hate" this is a revolt of a fanbase that doesn't live in 1987 and a revolt against the way WWE has shoved us down our throat like an 8 year old kid being told to shut up and eat their Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli and Asparagus. The guy actually kicks out of brass knuckles, kicks out of consecutive finishers by Owens and Jericho and wins his matches the same way almost 90% of the time. Natural, human conditioning dictates that this is not right. Super Roman is reaching Stone Cold levels of absurdity. But they could get away with it with Stone Cold because fans loved him.

This setup between Roman and Undertaker is a blatant disrespect to every fan like myself who is sick of him being God. Because the only force more unstoppable than Roman is supposedly Taker at Mania. But it's gotten SO BAD with Roman now that people will actually pick against the Undertaker now. It's nothing more than a task to avoid fans being able to just write off Undertaker with a W like we always have. And the sad part is NO ONE will be surprised if Roman actually wins.

"Terminator babyfaces" who cannot possibly die are neither popular or entertaining anymore. And if this were a popular formula, it's not gonna come from an unlikable character with poor mic-work, even worse music, an atheistic SWAT attire, greased up hair and a goofy grin. He fails because almost nothing about him is likable.

I haven't been a fan long, especially not when compared to the rest of you (I have been a fan about 15 years on and off) and he is easily one of the most boring wrestlers I have ever watched.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm sick of him because his matches are lazy. He's a good worker and a safe worker because his matches consist of HIM getting his ass kicked between rest holds. That is until the inevitable spear and Superman punch. How can he hurt a guy when he follows the safest match formula known to man. The only reason this guy can pull off a four star rating is because for one, brief shining moment everyone in the world thinks there is a chance that's gonna lose. They hope for it. They pray for it.

That's not how you get a four-star match, but okay.

He gets four-star matches because he's actually a good worker. This part of your post just proves my point that people will underrate him because of how much they hate him but he ACTUALLY IS a good in-ring worker. Say anything you want about the booking or character, but he's a good worker and his resume shows it.

It's not just push MCG. This isn't poor Roman can't catch a break. This isn't "he's a good worker and haters are gonna hate" this is a revolt of a fanbase that doesn't live in 1987 and a revolt against the way WWE has shoved us down our throat like an 8 year old kid being told to shut up and eat their Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli and Asparagus. The guy actually kicks out of brass knuckles, kicks out of consecutive finishers by Owens and Jericho and wins his matches the same way almost 90% of the time. Natural, human conditioning dictates that this is not right. Super Roman is reaching Stone Cold levels of absurdity. But they could get away with it with Stone Cold because fans loved him.

Again, you're proving my point. I never said he was booked well or anything. I said he's a good worker that's underrated for his in-ring work because of everything else ([scripted] mic work, character, booking, etc.). He's been put in a no-win position since day one of The Shield split.

This setup between Roman and Undertaker is a blatant disrespect to every fan like myself who is sick of him being God. Because the only force more unstoppable than Roman is supposedly Taker at Mania. But it's gotten SO BAD with Roman now that people will actually pick against the Undertaker now. It's nothing more than a task to avoid fans being able to just write off Undertaker with a W like we always have. And the sad part is NO ONE will be surprised if Roman actually wins.

No one should be surprised. This might be Taker's last match and Roman is going to be around for at least another 8 years. Come on, now. There's no doubt Roman should be going over The Undertaker.

"Terminator babyfaces" who cannot possibly die are neither popular or entertaining anymore. And if this were a popular formula, it's not gonna come from an unlikable character with poor mic-work, even worse music, an atheistic SWAT attire, greased up hair and a goofy grin. He fails because almost nothing about him is likable.

Again, proving my point. He "fails" because of the booking and his character work. He would be a GREAT heel, but this is WWE continuing to put him in a spot he shouldn't be in at this time.

The crazy thing is I have ALWAYS spoken out against his booking since The Shield's split, yet I still find these crazy times where I have to defend him as well.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not mad at Joe Anoai himself at all. It almost reminds me of putting a twist on that who framed Roger Rabbit quote. "I'm not bad.... I'm just booked that way!"

But regardless of what the source is here I really, really started watching WWE again once he came back from his suspension. I knew who Roman was because I had taken my hiatus right around the time he debuted with the Shield. He lost twice clean around the time of Battle Ground and everyone freaked out. I did my homework and realized, "Oh ****. He's not one of THOSE GUYS is he?" I go through his match history and sure enough. But I wanted to give him a chance.

Then was a great wrestler named Rusev who I was seriously impressed with when watching. Roman grabbed the US Championship at the side of the ring and the entire board freaked because they knew the handsome one was going to lose it. I knew you guys were telling the truth and I thought it was BS that a dude that was just busted for a banned substance is almost immediately awarded a new belt. Sure enough Rusev lost and his career spiraled out of control since while Roman focused his attention on the Universal title more than defending the title he already had.

Week after week, match after match I watch this dude get rope-a-doped like he's Hulk Hogan and wins the same way. I watch him no sell finishers, I watch him win at the flip of a switch. I watch him have to overcome some sort of obstacle and I feel the same way when I watch him as I do when my cat jumps down on my keyboard as I'm typing and comes back 5 times when I move her. It's like, "Alright enough already." I watch the guy struggle with the most fundamental aspects of ring psychology and story telling because there's not much of a story to tell when you win every week. Time goes by and I watch Roman get booed out of every arena he's in and all it took was a few weeks for it to make sense to me.

It seemed as if the entire world existed to make HIM look better. The Braun Strowman thing in particular feels that way.

I don't think Joe is a bad worker at all. I can see why he can have a great match. But all of this has gone on too long and whoever has let it continue is responsible for killing the Roman Reigns character before it ever had life.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And to be perfectly blunt at a personal level I would not be surprised at all if Joe himself was responsible for all this continuing. That if WWE would have come up to him after all this time more than once saying, "We've gotta do something different it's not working." Someone who doesn't have a choice in the matter in how he's booked doesn't behave the way he does. We saw it with Cena and this guy just act's totally different.

He strikes me as the kind of guy that would shoot the change down. He would reply "NAAHH!!!! I GOT HERE ON MY OWN!! YOU AIN'T CHANGING ME!!!!! *something something something* MAH BLOOD LINE!!" Just way too proud of a human being to change because he enjoys going out there and KNOWING that no matter what he's gonna come out on top and the haters can suck it because he's Big Dawg and you ain't gotta like it. I can tell he sure likes it. Who wouldn't enjoy being Superman Jesus? Despite protests Vince lets it continue anyway because the kids like him and there's still money to be made on his merchandise.

I know this is quite the conspiracy I'm hatching but I've learned enough about people by working with new one's every day to see that this is not impossible.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Why would you even make that assumption when you have no idea who he is personally? The guy himself said he wanted new ring gear, music and entrance when he was coming back from hernia surgery back in 2014, but the company kept him the same. He took acting classes and said he wanted to change his character, and the company kept him the same.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Jericho can absolutely go toe to toe with rock. You guys put him un some godly level for no reason. Austin was another guy that could hang with rock despite not being the most "hyped" talker.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Jericho can absolutely go toe to toe with rock. You guys put him un some godly level for no reason. Austin was another guy that could hang with rock despite not being the most "hyped" talker.

The WWE could literally advertise a PPV with the main event of The Rock talking for 30 minutes by himself and people would bend over backwards to watch it. Jericho, while certainly very charismatic, can't touch that. The Rock pisses more charisma than even guys like Jericho could ever possess.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, the thing that guys like Rock did was connect with the masses. Even people who weren't wrestling fans were Rock fans, and then watched wrestling for him. Jericho was never anything close to that.

In the world of wrestling, Jericho is right at the top. But he has only ever been in that world. The Rock broke out and was mainstream.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
From that era, only Austin could hold a candle to Rock in terms of charisma. It's not a slight on anyone else, it's just how insanely great Rock and Austin were and how much charisma they had.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
The WWE could literally advertise a PPV with the main event of The Rock talking for 30 minutes by himself and people would bend over backwards to watch it. Jericho, while certainly very charismatic, can't touch that. The Rock pisses more charisma than even guys like Jericho could ever possess.

Oh please, i could watch an entire PPV of jericho cutting promos, easily and so would a majority of hardcore fans in the last decade.

I'm not putting rock down at all, you guys are just putting him on way too high of pedustal.

having a handful of guys be at your level is still amazing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
American Alpha vs. The Usos for the tag titles tomorrow night.

So... 3 minutes of in-ring action and 8 minutes of backstage cuts to Shane again?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Oh please, i could watch an entire PPV of jericho cutting promos, easily and so would a majority of hardcore fans in the last decade.

I'm not putting rock down at all, you guys are just putting him on way too high of pedustal.

having a handful of guys be at your level is still amazing.
Yeah, but if the Rock did it he'd about 10x as many casuals come too, which is why he was special. Getting wrestling fans to watch a wrestler isn't impressive, getting non-wrestling fans to do so is.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Yeah, but if the Rock did it he'd about 10x as many casuals come too, which is why he was special. Getting wrestling fans to watch a wrestler isn't impressive, getting non-wrestling fans to do so is.

What rock can or can't bring in is irrelevant when you're comparing talent. Rock brings in the casuals because he decided to go into hollywood and jericho is obviously not a hollywood guy so yeah, no duh rock would bring in more casuals that shouldn't scale their talents differently.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
What rock can or can't bring in is irrelevant when you're comparing talent. Rock brings in the casuals because he decided to go into hollywood and jericho is obviously not a hollywood guy so yeah, no duh rock would bring in more casuals that shouldn't scale their talents differently.
I'm not on about Rock today, I'm on about Rock when he was still a wrestler.

Rock was a big reason you had the boom period, it was because he was able to connect with people outside of wrestling and bring them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad