Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Klim Kostin for Radim Simek and 2024 7th round pick

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who said hockey players and their agents are rational? In his mind he may be a $3M player in two years and thus not willing to commit any longer. It's all a matter of perspective. Both sides can easily be aligned on "prove it" contracts - neither side being willing to commit any longer at price X.
It's also a matter of what's actually out there and available to a player in that position. I'm sorry but there's no way three years was on the table last year for Kostin so it's irrelevant how rational their camp is on that front. And I find it equally unlikely that had he been offered three years at any price with seven digits before the decimal that he was going to say no. My original reply to this context was to the idea that he cost himself long term dollars for asking a high number in the short term with the notion that there were no long term offers on the table and there likely wasn't anything longer than two years out there in this environment. Nobody is giving any good reason why there would be.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It's also a matter of what's actually out there and available to a player in that position. I'm sorry but there's no way three years was on the table last year for Kostin so it's irrelevant how rational their camp is on that front. And I find it equally unlikely that had he been offered three years at any price with seven digits before the decimal that he was going to say no. My original reply to this context was to the idea that he cost himself long term dollars for asking a high number in the short term with the notion that there were no long term offers on the table and there likely wasn't anything longer than two years out there in this environment. Nobody is giving any good reason why there would be.

My original response was directly to the assertion from an Oiler fan that we could have offered him $1.5 x 3 and he would have stayed - all hypothetical.

In such a hypothetical, I can easily see a scenario where he would reject $4.5/3 in favor of the $4.0/2 he signed in Detroit. He was 23 years old and a former 1st round pick.

It's perfectly reasonable for you to assume no such deal was offered, I wouldn't strongly oppose that point. However it's quite easy to see a scenario where he was completely fine limiting the deal to two years to bet on himself. It happens EVERY summer with guys his age. If you don't think there is any chance he wanted to bet on himself, you don't understand hockey egos. I'll leave it at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad