Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Klim Kostin for Radim Simek and 2024 7th round pick

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
As a big Oiler fan.. Kostin was one of the best 9 mintue players we ever had. In those 9 minutes he'd throw a good hit, maybe punch a guy or score a great goal. The second the minutes went up.. he was a liability.

At league minimum.. I'd welcome him with open arms back to the Oil for a playoff run as an expiring UFA. The second that 2 year deal was signed, he wasn't useful to us at all. I feel bad he didn't end up on a playoff team as he has a unique skillset if used properly.... hits, punches, crazy eyes and can shoot.
Can't wait for Quinn to play him 20 minutes a night

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You think too highly of yourself.
I think so so little of Holl.

Also a guy in our league scored a goal in the NHL in like 1999, so he may be able to take him.

(Who cares if he’s 40-50 pounds overweight)

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Remember how sad lots of Oilers fans were that we kept McCloud over him
There are probably still a handful crying themselves to sleep over him. He did well in Edmonton playing defined role but his agent probably cost him long term dough by demanding big bucks in the short term. Holland was wise keeping the chequebook in that vinyl case if came in on Klim.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There are probably still a handful crying themselves to sleep over him. He did well in Edmonton playing defined role but his agent probably cost him long term dough by demanding big bucks in the short term. Holland was wise keeping the chequebook in that vinyl case if came in on Klim.
Or the agent realized this was only shot at real money and maximized that opportunity. Klostin isn't a 2 mil player but he's very replaceable at minimum too so you take your shot when it's there. Kostin may not be in the NHL after this year or next year.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
In Detroit his ice time was like 5-6 minutes. Even McDavid won't score much in 6 minutes. No wonder he started scoring points when his ice time doubled/tripled.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Or the agent realized this was only shot at real money and maximized that opportunity. Klostin isn't a 2 mil player but he's very replaceable at minimum too so you take your shot when it's there. Kostin may not be in the NHL after this year or next year.

Not really. He only got 2x2. The Oilers apparently were at 1.5 per. You could literally just negotiate a 3rd year and it’s more guaranteed money

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or he was only willing to sign two as a bet on himself. He's still reasonably young.
I don't see the logic in that given Kostin's circumstances. Kostin only had any sort of success with Edmonton his one season there where he wasn't a consistent regular in the lineup. That team was willing to let him go to get rid of Yamamoto to save on a 433k buyout cap hit. Giving someone with that sort of track record and age three years just doesn't happen often since the pandemic hit. He wasn't going to give Detroit some hometown discount on cap but he wasn't going to get term. He maximized what was available to him in my view.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't see the logic in that given Kostin's circumstances. Kostin only had any sort of success with Edmonton his one season there where he wasn't a consistent regular in the lineup. That team was willing to let him go to get rid of Yamamoto to save on a 433k buyout cap hit. Giving someone with that sort of track record and age three years just doesn't happen often since the pandemic hit. He wasn't going to give Detroit some hometown discount on cap but he wasn't going to get term. He maximized what was available to him in my view.

Who said hockey players and their agents are rational? In his mind he may be a $3M player in two years and thus not willing to commit any longer. It's all a matter of perspective. Both sides can easily be aligned on "prove it" contracts - neither side being willing to commit any longer at price X.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad