Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] E.Kane for D. O'Regan, 2019 cond. 1st/2nd round, 2019/2020 cond. 4th/3rd round [MOD 274]

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I don't get why people keep running these false narratives that Evander likes to party, that he's a bad character, that he's a hairy cancerous oozing tumor filled with hundreds of baby spiders. I mean sure, he doesn't seem like the best teammate on the ice, but he's pretty much a one man wrecking crew.

From his wiki:

On April 3, 2014, Kane was accused of assault, after an incident in Vancouver, and sued for financial damages. On April 5, 2014, Kane was a healthy scratch under new head coach Paul Maurice, in a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs. After the game, Maurice said it was a coach's decision, and that if Kane wanted back in the lineup, all he needed to do was "probably just come to the rink." On February 3, 2015 Kane was a healthy scratch against the Vancouver Canucks. It was later determined that he was scratched because of an incident with his teammates. Kane revealed in an October 2015 interview that he felt the Jets did not "have his back" throughout his legal and behavioral issues. but instead felt that they traded away their problem. On August 1, Kane plead not guilty to charges alleging he grabbed three women during an altercation at a downtown Buffalo bar in June 2016.

Think of him as you will but there are incidents at the rink and in his personal life that have people questioning what kind of person he is.

Reactions: tntkid and CrypTic

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Can’t believe that is the return Buffalo got. Once he walk the return is pretty poor.
Especially when you compare it to what the Sabres paid to acquire him.
@ the time Bogo & Myers were pretty well a wash but if we're generous we can say Lemieux went to the Jets there as well.
That leaves Stafford who helped the Jets to their 1st (but short) playoff spot (a healthy body over E Kane who bailed for elective surgery), Armia (looking pretty good) & a 1st that turned into Roslovic (thankyou). That pick was #25 coming from St. Louis in the Miller trade.
3 years later Buffalo recieves Danny O'Reagan (goggle went crazy trying to keep up with people wondering who that was), a condititional late 2nd with low odds of becoming a late 1st & a conditional 4th.

Those 2 returns look a lot different. Buffalo would probably trade the entire SJ return for just Roslovic.

Reactions: Snowman

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Doesn't seem like a DW sort of a player, but could be a good buy low situation given his skill set is just what the Sharks need. The Sharks have a good leadership core which might just be what is needed to get EK to maximize his talent.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't get why people keep running these false narratives that Evander likes to party, that he's a bad character, that he's a hairy cancerous oozing tumor filled with hundreds of baby spiders. I mean sure, he doesn't seem like the best teammate on the ice, but he's pretty much a one man wrecking crew.

And regardless, he's like the 2nd best even strength goal scorer this year. A true power forward who scores.. who cares what he beats his meat to in his spare time

When someone is being called a bad person off the ice... and you get upset and say hes good on the ice...

Am i missing something? How did your argument in any way address the point you were trying to make

Here ill show you an example... i wish people would stop saying eating candy was fattening for you and rots your teeth... i think sweet tarts taste really good

Reactions: Flyerfan52

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Ideal scenario:

Kane re ups with SJ for some stupid price, Joe retires, they suck and we get a top 5 pick in 2019. lol

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
When someone is being called a bad person off the ice... and you get upset and say hes good on the ice...

Am i missing something? How did your argument in any way address the point you were trying to make

Here ill show you an example... i wish people would stop saying eating candy was fattening for you and rots your teeth... i think sweet tarts taste really good

So I mean Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got traded to LA cuz they party boys right? Then they won a cup. Bad off the ice... good on the ice? Tyler Seguin and Pat Kane too right? They're prob all better than Kane, but bad off ice, good on ice. That wasn't really my point, but since u pointed it out, I'll go with it :D

Anyway no one's upset, my original post was supposed to be funny. Ya guys need to lighten up. Kane was ultimately traded for what he was worth. Haven't heard any real negative stories from him in awhile, so hope he proves everyone wrong and shows he's matured. Right now everyone's just speculating that he's a bad boy cuz he has fun in his free time like any other athlete.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
2019 SJ 1st could be a lottery pick...I dont think they will resign him

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So I mean Mike Richards and Jeff Carter got traded to LA cuz they party boys right? Then they won a cup. Bad off the ice... good on the ice? Tyler Seguin and Pat Kane too right? They're prob all better than Kane, but bad off ice, good on ice. That wasn't really my point, but since u pointed it out, I'll go with it :D

Anyway no one's upset, my original post was supposed to be funny. Ya guys need to lighten up. Kane was ultimately traded for what he was worth. Haven't heard any real negative stories from him in awhile, so hope he proves everyone wrong and shows he's matured. Right now everyone's just speculating that he's a bad boy cuz he has fun in his free time like any other athlete.

in history a few bad party boys turned out ok... boston had a guy derek sanderson that player alright. rangers had ron duguay on broadway. and there were others

but theres been some very very bad stories about off ice issues and personality quirks harming teams

you might want everyone to ignore the waning lights around evander kane... but his off ice behavior will continue to cause him and his team judgement and penalty. it did hurt his trade value. it will cost him money on his next contract

my opinion doesnt matter... but i hope this case can show guys why they should value an nhl career more highly and try a bit harder to fit in and do the right thing.

boston traded seguin mostly because of his off ice attitude. mike richards career was washed up at 30 because his act went completely out of control. sean avery blew up right before our eyes. john kordic was tragic. bryan fogerty set qmjhl records but couldnt get an nhl career going. jeff friesen was a local boy from my hometown who had alot of rumors around him

alot of guys with party issues or other off ice problems might have mental problems or abuse in their past so i dont want to judge these guys personally... only professionally

alot of careers went to crap because of off ice issues

i mean look at tim thomas my bruins goalie hero... won a cup... then said very controversial political things... what happened to his career? how fast did boston tail spin after their white house visit? how easy were they dispatched in those playoffs?

thomas became so messed up he took the next year off just to deal with his off ice.

these things matter. it hurts players careers and their teams when a player is marching to a differnt drummer

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
in history a few bad party boys turned out ok... boston had a guy derek sanderson that player alright. rangers had ron duguay on broadway. and there were others

but theres been some very very bad stories about off ice issues and personality quirks harming teams

you might want everyone to ignore the waning lights around evander kane... but his off ice behavior will continue to cause him and his team judgement and penalty. it did hurt his trade value. it will cost him money on his next contract

my opinion doesnt matter... but i hope this case can show guys why they should value an nhl career more highly and try a bit harder to fit in and do the right thing.

boston traded seguin mostly because of his off ice attitude. mike richards career was washed up at 30 because his act went completely out of control. sean avery blew up right before our eyes. john kordic was tragic. bryan fogerty set qmjhl records but couldnt get an nhl career going. jeff friesen was a local boy from my hometown who had alot of rumors around him

alot of guys with party issues or other off ice problems might have mental problems or abuse in their past so i dont want to judge these guys personally... only professionally

alot of careers went to crap because of off ice issues

i mean look at tim thomas my bruins goalie hero... won a cup... then said very controversial political things... what happened to his career? how fast did boston tail spin after their white house visit? how easy were they dispatched in those playoffs?

thomas became so messed up he took the next year off just to deal with his off ice.

these things matter. it hurts players careers and their teams when a player is marching to a differnt drummer

All good points, and the Sharks would be foolish to overlook that.

However, DW is a very professional GM (not implying others aren't) who doesnt come across like a guy who would tolerate any off ice shit from his players. Kane, should he want to resign, is basically doing a field interview with DW. Given the conditions of the picks involved in the trade, DW has all the negotiating power, so if he smells smoke, he can put the fire out (and arguably benefit the team drafting-wise) before it starts.

I also like to think that the large (both physically and in presence) of the Sharks leaders like Jumbo and Burns, and to a lesser extent Couture and Vlasic, the current leadership will be able to handle a situation, should one arise

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
All good points, and the Sharks would be foolish to overlook that.

However, DW is a very professional GM (not implying others aren't) who doesnt come across like a guy who would tolerate any off ice **** from his players. Kane, should he want to resign, is basically doing a field interview with DW. Given the conditions of the picks involved in the trade, DW has all the negotiating power, so if he smells smoke, he can put the fire out (and arguably benefit the team drafting-wise) before it starts.

I also like to think that the large (both physically and in presence) of the Sharks leaders like Jumbo and Burns, and to a lesser extent Couture and Vlasic, the current leadership will be able to handle a situation, should one arise

If a team does want to sign a pending ufa with question marks... its undoubtedly wise to try him out first if at all possible

I remember the oilers earning a reputation in the early days for bringing party guys to the team for second and third chances because it was thought with fogolin, gretzky, lowe, messier these guys might shape up. Don murdoch was one of them... drawing a blank on the others but i seem to remember there was a handful

We see it more often in basketball and football... and commonly its associated more with drug use i guess

But alot of second chances do workout

Wish evander kane will see what a good opportunity he has and make the best of it

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I thought they sold low but the winger market was saturated and there weren't enough buyers at the end of the day. I think it speaks more about the commodity of wingers in today's league, unless they are absolutely elite line-driver types...

Who knows how it translates into UFA. If I had to guess, I think guys like JVR/Kane make less than many envision.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Crazy to believe that Jannik Hansen arguably returned more than Kane. I know Hansen wasn’t a rental but the quality of player is vastly different.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Definitely one of the more interesting trades to follow. How will he do in SJ? Will he fit in? Has he smartened up off-ice? Only time will tell.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It makes no sense to re-sign him if you're San Jose, even if he does well.

You can just go after a different free agent, who will cost a similar amount against the cap and will not cost a first rounder.

Shitty return for Buffalo in the end. Very disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad