Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] E.Kane for D. O'Regan, 2019 cond. 1st/2nd round, 2019/2020 cond. 4th/3rd round [MOD 274]

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I don’t know how anyone can say this a bad deal for the Sharks. They control all aspects of the deal. If Kane doesn’t workout for them, then they don’t even give up a 1st.

The only reason I like this deal for Buff is that they could potentially re-unite Eichel with O’Regan who I think can be a player in the league.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I don’t know how anyone can say this a bad deal for the Sharks. They control all aspects of the deal. If Kane doesn’t workout for them, then they don’t even give up a 1st.

The only reason I like this deal for Buff is that they could potentially re-unite Eichel with O’Regan who I think can be a player in the league.

Yep, Buffalo loser of the day. Im not familiar with O'reagan and maybe im wrong but he doesnt seems the big deal IMO

No even get a 1st!? Buffalo maybe gets just what a Plekanec worths. I feel sorry the Sabres

Reactions: Snowman

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
How can anyone say Buffalo lost the trade?

There's no way Botteril had a 2018 1st sitting on the table and chose SJ out of the kindness of his heart. Kane's a UFA/rental with baggage. GM's know about his history and surely leveraged it. If this is the best deal we could get, it's basically found money since we gave up nothing but one UFA in a losing season. If we desperately want to keep Kane, which I wouldn't since I don't think the Sabres are at a point to be paying for a luxury winger like him... there's nothing stopping us from going after him in free agency. Unless SJ signs him, then we get a 2019 1st.

EDIT: Besides, Botts is all about Rochester/AHL. O'Regan, whether he eventually makes it to the Sabres or not, will help lead that organization to success. And the results will trickle up to the Sabres, as our draft picks from the last year or three maybe, for once, start their pro careers on a winner.

Good move for both teams.

Last edited:

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017

kane needs a change of scenery and hes gonna get it.

he is super talented but has been on 'bad' teams. leading to some bad habits. this is just what the doctor ordered for the sharks and also for kane.

ive been guilty of calling kane a locker room cancer in the past..... but maybe he just didnt have a decent locker room to begin with. pulling a 180 on kane. good move.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
As a fan of both teams, I predictably have mixed feelings.

From Buffalo's perspective:
  • Botterill probably could have gotten a better return for Kane earlier in the season when he was scoring regularly. Easy to say in hindsight.
  • Impossible to predict if Kane signs with the Sharks. Even if he does, that 2019 1st is probably in the 15-31 range. The Sharks have proven to be quite resilient in Thornton's absence. They're a solid, veteran team, with a couple of younger players just starting to establish themselves. I doubt they implode next season.
  • O'Regan is, at best, a modest prospect. Reunion of Eichel's BC line.
From San Jose's perspective:
  • They had trouble scoring, although have improved recently, and are currently 16th overall. Kane can score.
  • What they didn't have to give up for Kane: a player regularly in the lineup, a prospect with significant potential, any 2018 picks.
  • They gave up little to acquire Kane:
    • A 185 lb, 24 year-old forward with 1G, 4A, and 2 PIM in 22 career games.
    • A 2019 1st, only if Kane plays well enough to merit signing him in the offseason.
    • Sharks' choice of a 2019 4th or 2020 3rd.
I have to give the edge to the Sharks on this one. They need additional scoring punch, and gave up little to acquire it. They protected themselves from Kane not working out or simply signing elsewhere with the condition on the 2019 1st.

I recommend Sharks' fans manage your expectations. If the Sharks can identify linemates to put the puck on his stick when he's in a scoring position, Kane will probably do well. If that doesn't happen, Wilson will have lost a worthwhile gamble.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As a fan of both teams, I predictably have mixed feelings.

From Buffalo's perspective:
  • Botterill probably could have gotten a better return for Kane earlier in the season when he was scoring regularly. Easy to say in hindsight.
  • Impossible to predict if Kane signs with the Sharks. Even if he does, that 2019 1st is probably in the 15-31 range. The Sharks have proven to be quite resilient in Thornton's absence. They're a solid, veteran team, with a couple of younger players just starting to establish themselves. I doubt they implode next season.
  • O'Regan is, at best, a modest prospect. Reunion of Eichel's BC line.
From San Jose's perspective:
  • They had trouble scoring, although have improved recently, and are currently 16th overall. Kane can score.
  • What they didn't have to give up for Kane: a player regularly in the lineup, a prospect with significant potential, any 2018 picks.
  • They gave up little to acquire Kane:
    • A 185 lb, 24 year-old forward with 1G, 4A, and 2 PIM in 22 career games.
    • A 2019 1st, only if Kane plays well enough to merit signing him in the offseason.
    • A 2020 4th.
I have to give the edge to the Sharks on this one. They need additional scoring punch, and gave up little to acquire it. They protected themselves from Kane not working out or simply signing elsewhere with the condition on the 2019 1st.

I recommend Sharks' fans manage your expectations. If the Sharks can identify linemates to put the puck on his stick when he's in a scoring position, Kane will probably do well. If that doesn't happen, Wilson will have lost a worthwhile gamble.

Picky note, but it's a 2019 4th. Or a 2020 3rd if the Sharks, for reasons I can't possibly fathom, decide that they value the 2019 4th more than a 3rd a year later.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Honestly, keep the first round pick. Unless you think San Jose will be contending next year. Kane simpley isn't worth the contract he'll likely demand and a likely mid first round pick.

With that being said, I was expecting more for Kane, but once his production dried up there really wasn't anything to sell. He's a liability unless he's scoring.

DW will only re-sign if its a reasonable contract, ie wont overpay. So either he performs well and is signed to a nice contract the following year and is worth the 1st or we gave up a 2nd round pick, practically only, which is also worth it

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
At first glance, this seems like an easy win for the Sharks. Good team and Kane will help them score. Not sure he’s a fit long term though - this is a team that has historically not been great with holding players accountable IMO. Haven’t lost much if doesn’t work out though

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I saw in rwitter its a 1st if shrks advance in the pl0ayoffs...was it making the cup final or winning the cup ??

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
I don't get why people keep running these false narratives that Evander likes to party, that he's a bad character, that he's a hairy cancerous oozing tumor filled with hundreds of baby spiders. I mean sure, he doesn't seem like the best teammate on the ice, but he's pretty much a one man wrecking crew.

And regardless, he's like the 2nd best even strength goal scorer this year. A true power forward who scores.. who cares what he beats his meat to in his spare time

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I don't get why people keep running these false narratives that Evander likes to party, that he's a bad character, that he's a hairy cancerous oozing tumor filled with hundreds of baby spiders. I mean sure, he doesn't seem like the best teammate on the ice, but he's pretty much a one man wrecking crew.

And regardless, he's like the 2nd best even strength goal scorer this year. A true power forward who scores.. who cares what he beats his meat to in his spare time
I'm pretty sure he does but that's not really a negative thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad