Value of: SJ Timo Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Read what I said. I dont think Fitz trades Holtz.
I dont want to trade Sharongovich (doesn't mean he won't be).
If the Devils suck and there's a chance for a top 3 pick, they won't offer it.
None of what I said is crazy, they are still working on being a team trying to compete. If you thi k they are giving Luke Hughes for a guy WHO could say I'm out you're sniffing glue! The PR nightmare only isn't worth it! He will get a good return, but cmon.

I dont know what your team needs are, I actually asked the fanbase to try and offer up pieces! You mentioned Holtz and Mercer. I'll assume you don't know our team as well. Our GM is never gonna do that! Holtz plus, maybe but probably not. Mercer, nope. We can wait until Timo wants to sign with his buddies Nico and Jonas in FA. He has value for sure but he won't get what you think from Jersey, and that's ok.
You can wait like the Bruins fans did when they though for sure Hertl was going to want to come to Boston to play with his pal Pasta

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You can wait like the Bruins fans did when they though for sure Hertl was going to want to come to Boston to play with his pal Pasta
Each player/deal is different so you're right and wrong.
If TM wants to move on, the return is less. Still good but less. Mercer and Holtz ain't it. But we'll do this dance through the season I'm sure.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Each player/deal is different so you're right and wrong.
If TM wants to move on, the return is less. Still good but less. Mercer and Holtz ain't it. But we'll do this dance through the session I'm sure.
I'm going to bastardize a quote from the Star Wars Rouge One movie
Hockey teams are build on hope

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Meier wants to extend in SJ that’s what will end up happening. The issue for SJ is that if he won’t he controls where he will extend and at that point it’s a limiting factor on any return. Even Tkachuk’s return was a bit wobbly with the two main pieces needing extensions of their own so that was a bit risky for CAL. My guess is that SJ will somewhat overpay Meier to keep him which makes more sense than trading him for a pick and a prospect or even two good but lesser players.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Value might not be bad but seems like a lot of quantity.

Well, it's just 4 pieces:

- Owen Pickering (2022 1st rounder, 6'5 top 4 Dman potential)
- 2023 1st
- one of 2 prospects: Blomqvist (future starting G) or Poulin (2019 1st rounder, future middle 6 C or W)
- Kasperi Kapanen (useful player for SJS, only signed for 2 years so not much risk, included to help make the cap work)

Separately, Penguins would need to move Brock McGinn and would include a 2nd rounder as a sweetener. That could be to SJS or another team.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Numbers didn't look great during the covid years (hate using that reference though lol) but looks like he bounced back fine.

Looking at stats around the league from last season...seems like we hit a high peak in scoring, wonder if 2021/22 had more than normal number of "career years" and will see a regression?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well, it's just 4 pieces:

- Owen Pickering (2022 1st rounder, 6'5 top 4 Dman potential)
- 2023 1st
- one of 2 prospects: Blomqvist (future starting G) or Poulin (2019 1st rounder, future middle 6 C or W)
- Kasperi Kapanen (useful player for SJS, only signed for 2 years so not much risk, included to help make the cap work)

Separately, Penguins would need to move Brock McGinn and would include a 2nd rounder as a sweetener. That could be to SJS or another team.
No I know but still I’d rather take someone like Holtz or some other prospect that has top line/pair potential.

Reactions: themelkman

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No I know but still I’d rather take someone like Holtz or some other prospect that has top line/pair potential.

I hear you, but I'm just skeptical that NJD is a destination for a guy like Meier after signing Palat.

Unless they build a deal around Bratt (who will earn $6M+ if he can replicate what he did last season), I'm not sure how they fit Meier into their cap structure.

Assuming guys like Mercer & Sharangovich continue their development, they're going to need big raises in the near future as well. I know they have a lot of guys whose contracts will expire over the next 1-2 years, but I think they're going to need guys like Holtz and others come in and provide value on ELCs.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I hear you, but I'm just skeptical that NJD is a destination for a guy like Meier after signing Palat.

Unless they build a deal around Bratt (who will earn $6M+ if he can replicate what he did last season), I'm not sure how they fit Meier into their cap structure.

Assuming guys like Mercer & Sharangovich continue their development, they're going to need big raises in the near future as well. I know they have a lot of guys whose contracts will expire over the next 1-2 years, but I think they're going to need guys like Holtz and others come in and provide value on ELCs.
I mean I very much disagree with you. According to Friedman, the Bratt negotiations both times were difficult. Timo is close friends with Nico and both Nico and Hughes are signed long term. Timo would be their best winger by a pretty large margin. Next year they have Bernier, Severson, Tatar, Graves, Haula, Wood, Johnsson all off the books. They do have Bratt, Sharangovich, Boqvist and Blackwood needing new contracts. That’s almost 25M off the books. Out of all of those guys the only guy I could see them resigning is Severson and the RFAs. Timo could easily fit in their wage structure and again easily their best winger. He already has chemistry with Nico too.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I mean I very much disagree with you. According to Friedman, the Bratt negotiations both times were difficult. Timo is close friends with Nico and both Nico and Hughes are signed long term. Timo would be their best winger by a pretty large margin. Next year they have Bernier, Severson, Tatar, Graves, Haula, Wood, Johnsson all off the books. They do have Bratt, Sharangovich, Boqvist and Blackwood needing new contracts. That’s almost 25M off the books. Out of all of those guys the only guy I could see them resigning is Severson and the RFAs. Timo could easily fit in their wage structure and again easily their best winger. He already has chemistry with Nico too.

You don't need to convince me Meier would be the perfect fit for them. I consistently said on here that if Slafkovsky went #1, that I would trade pick #2 to SJS for Meier.

But NJD didn't go that direction. We know they were in on Gaudreau (to some degree) and then signed Palat long term when Johnny went to CLB.

And yes, they have cap flexibility with all their expiring contracts, but also keep in mind they're either going to need to extend or otherwise acquire replacements for some of those guys whose contracts are expiring -- particularly on D and in the middle/bottom 6.

So that's why I think it would have to be Bratt OR Meier (who will make $8M+) and certainly not both. Meier would be superior, but is he superior enough in NJD management's eyes to offer a package of Bratt + Hotlz + something else to SJS for Meier, or would they prefer to have more depth and high upside guys on ELCs like Holtz in their system? I obviously don't know the answer to that question.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
You don't need to convince me Meier would be the perfect fit for them. I consistently said on here that if Slafkovsky went #1, that I would trade pick #2 to SJS for Meier.

But NJD didn't go that direction. We know they were in on Gaudreau (to some degree) and then signed Palat long term when Johnny went to CLB.

And yes, they have cap flexibility with all their expiring contracts, but also keep in mind they're either going to need to extend or otherwise acquire replacements for some of those guys whose contracts are expiring -- particularly on D and in the middle/bottom 6.

So that's why I think it would have to be Bratt OR Meier (who will make $8M+) and certainly not both. Meier would be superior, but is he superior enough in NJD management's eyes to offer a package of Bratt + Hotlz + something else to SJS for Meier, or would they prefer to have more depth and high upside guys on ELCs like Holtz in their system? I obviously don't know the answer to that question.
We're not offer any combination of Bratt, Holtz +
If Bratt won't sign and SJ would be willing sure than that maybe happens.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That’s his QO? The plan would
He to work out a long term deal
At his price otherwise he can then speak with anyone of the other 31 clubs as a UFA if he doesn’t get his QO. Can take him to arbitration but still it’s a big contract even in a best case scenario for the club.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I would be willing to wager that Timo either signs an eight year deal with the Sharks or is traded to a team and signs an eight year deal with them and in the end the dollars for his qualifying offer mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad