Value of: SJ Timo Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I do not agree that the Devils will necessarily have plenty of cap space next season. If they are bad they will have it, but not likely if they are good. Bratt, Rango and Blackwood all need new deals next year. If they play well that will eat up most of what they have coming off. Also Nemec has the potential to earn $3.25 in performance bonuses, so they have to stay under the cap to start 23-24 so they can accrue cap space.
I’ll be surprised if Blackwood returns. Bratt and Rango would likely get incremental increases. I could see them combining for $5 mil per over what they combine for right now. Beyond that I expect a slew of guys to come off the cap. Bernier Tatar Johnsson Graves Severson Haula Wood all come off. Good or bad it’s hard to see the team capped out if they go with thr younger guys like Boquist and Zetterlund to round out the bottom six and they jettison guys who are borderline or not playing.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can’t see many teams trading unprotected 1st for Meier, and I’m a huge fan of his…. It’s just too risky in next years draft, I imagine most 1sts will have top 5 protection.

1st(top 5 protection)
Top prospect
Young nhl player
Maybe cap to help facilitate

Is kinda what I imagine he’ll get

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Given that his current contract was signed in an off-season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hold off until next summer.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can’t see many teams trading unprotected 1st for Meier, and I’m a huge fan of his…. It’s just too risky in next years draft, I imagine most 1sts will have top 5 protection.

1st(top 5 protection)
Top prospect
Young nhl player
Maybe cap to help facilitate

Is kinda what I imagine he’ll get
I’d be pretty okay with that return. I’d even be willing to use that “young nhl player” as the cap if someone didn’t want to lose two nhl pieces. I do think NJD makes the most sense. If their goalies are struggling throw them Reimer as well and try for Mercer and Holtz and cap. Although I don’t know if they’d do that.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’d be pretty okay with that return. I’d even be willing to use that “young nhl player” as the cap if someone didn’t want to lose two nhl pieces. I do think NJD makes the most sense. If their goalies are struggling throw them Reimer as well and try for Mercer and Holtz and cap. Although I don’t know if they’d do that.
Mercer stays.

The Holtz + protected 1st base makes the most sense.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I’ll be surprised if Blackwood returns. Bratt and Rango would likely get incremental increases. I could see them combining for $5 mil per over what they combine for right now. Beyond that I expect a slew of guys to come off the cap. Bernier Tatar Johnsson Graves Severson Haula Wood all come off. Good or bad it’s hard to see the team capped out if they go with thr younger guys like Boquist and Zetterlund to round out the bottom six and they jettison guys who are borderline or not playing.
I did not say they would be capped out. I said I do not see how they add another $8 mil plus wing. Big difference. Other than Bernier all those players you list have to be replaced. As example, Huala is 3C and has a $2.375 mil cap hit. There is a chance 3C will have a higher cap hit in 23-24 if no young player proves capable of functioning as 3C.

Rango hopefully will be getting more than an incremental increase. He is being relied upon to be our goal scoring wing on Hughes line at this point. I sincerely hope he has a substantially higher cap hit than $2 mil in 23-24.

Reactions: My3Sons

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Mercer stays.

The Holtz + protected 1st base makes the most sense.
I mean I’d definitely agree that makes more sense for the Devils. I just don’t like the Devils secondary pieces because it would have been a pretty good plus. Maybe I’m just not the biggest fan of Foote. Sharks really need Cs though. We really don’t have any long term Cs in the org apart of Bordeleau who probably maxes out at 2C. I do love Mercer and totally understand wanting to keep him though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like the jersey for a lot , and jersey has a top winger to move for Meier.

Meier on zegras wing would be awesome but Anaheim prospects are a weird mix to make a trade

Reactions: Gecklund

My3Sons

Sponsor
I did not say they would be capped out. I said I do not see how they add another $8 mil plus wing. Big difference. Other than Bernier all those players you list have to be replaced. As example, Huala is 3C and has a $2.375 mil cap hit. There is a chance 3C will have a higher cap hit in 23-24 if no young player proves capable of functioning as 3C.

Rango hopefully will be getting more than an incremental increase. He is being relied upon to be our goal scoring wing on Hughes line at this point. I sincerely hope he has a substantially higher cap hit than $2 mil in 23-24.
if they were able to get Meier I think they'd move on from Bratt as unpopular as that would be. I don't see NJ paying tip top dollar to 2 wings. Teams seem to value centers and defenders. They don't seem to want to pay wingers and goalies as a broad brush stroke. Sure there are exceptions, but I'm skeptical NJ would want to have two roughly $8 mil per wings on the team.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
if they were able to get Meier I think they'd move on from Bratt as unpopular as that would be. I don't see NJ paying tip top dollar to 2 wings. Teams seem to value centers and defenders. They don't seem to want to pay wingers and goalies as a broad brush stroke. Sure there are exceptions, but I'm skeptical NJ would want to have two roughly $8 mil per wings on the team.
We agree than. If Bratt goes than they will have the money for a high end wing.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I do not agree that the Devils will necessarily have plenty of cap space next season. If they are bad they will have it, but not likely if they are good. Bratt, Rango and Blackwood all need new deals next year. If they play well that will eat up most of what they have coming off. Also Nemec has the potential to earn $3.25 in performance bonuses, so they have to stay under the cap to start 23-24 so they can accrue cap space.
If the price of getting Meier is losing Sharangovich via trade or even UFA I do that every time personally.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is going to be Tkachuk style. If the sharks pull off magic he will probably stay, if we suck he will be dealt next year.

Only difference is the sharks should only look at a lateral move or prospects, no UFA vets involved.

Every team in the league will make a pitch assuming Meier will sign a long term deal.

My3Sons

Sponsor
This is going to be Tkachuk style. If the sharks pull off magic he will probably stay, if we suck he will be dealt next year.

Only difference is the sharks should only look at a lateral move or prospects, no UFA vets involved.

Every team in the league will make a pitch assuming Meier will sign a long term deal.
How many teams will realistically be able to offer him a competitive contract and what teams will he even be open to extending with? Teams will probably offer similar things overall it would depend upon whether SJ wants to retool or stay the course. NJ can offer something around a first and a good prospect or a lesser but excellent player like Bratt and a Severson if SJ did want to try to stay competitive. But as a winger, as good as he is, some teams won't pay him top dollar it seems. With Hischier and Siegenthaler in NJ you'd expect Meier would at least consider an extension with NJ and Meier does fit the profile of the player the GM is trying to add so this will be worth watching if SJ falls out of the playoff race this season.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I can't see the Devils offering up Mercer, but Holtz and Sharangovich as a start, would be seen as a fairly decent return.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
How many teams will realistically be able to offer him a competitive contract and what teams will he even be open to extending with? Teams will probably offer similar things overall it would depend upon whether SJ wants to retool or stay the course. NJ can offer something around a first and a good prospect or a lesser but excellent player like Bratt and a Severson if SJ did want to try to stay competitive. But as a winger, as good as he is, some teams won't pay him top dollar it seems. With Hischier and Siegenthaler in NJ you'd expect Meier would at least consider an extension with NJ and Meier does fit the profile of the player the GM is trying to add so this will be worth watching if SJ falls out of the playoff race this season.
If this is around the TDL and devs are knocking on the playoff door then yes, If there is any chance they are picking high again, it's probably not done with a 1st. At least not a '23 first

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
From the Penguins, and assuming an extension could be worked out, I would offer:

Owen Pickering + 2023 1st + SJS's choice of one of Blomqvist (future #1G) or Sam Poulin (2019 1st rounder C/W prospect) + Kasperi Kapanen (to help make the cap work and give SJS a useful middle 6 W back)

I'd also offer an additional 2nd rounder to SJS or another team to take Brock McGinn, again to clear the requisite cap space.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not Holtz. Sharongovich I hope not. I see a Foote, Pick, LHD, non core player
Lol. So a prospect in our deepest position, a pick, a LHD which is the only position we have depth at, and a bad piece. Like that LHD better be Luke Hughes otherwise this is f***ing trash.

(No Timo is not worth Hughes)

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
From the Penguins, and assuming an extension could be worked out, I would offer:

Owen Pickering + 2023 1st + SJS's choice of one of Blomqvist (future #1G) or Sam Poulin (2019 1st rounder C/W prospect) + Kasperi Kapanen (to help make the cap work and give SJS a useful middle 6 W back)

I'd also offer an additional 2nd rounder to SJS or another team to take Brock McGinn, again to clear the requisite cap space.
As a Sharks fan I don't see much of anything in your offer that very appealing

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Value might not be bad but seems like a lot of quantity.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Lol. So a prospect in our deepest position, a pick, a LHD which is the only position we have depth at, and a bad piece. Like that LHD better be Luke Hughes otherwise this is f***ing trash.

Read what I said. I dont think Fitz trades Holtz.
I dont want to trade Sharongovich (doesn't mean he won't be).
If the Devils suck and there's a chance for a top 3 pick, they won't offer it.
None of what I said is crazy, they are still working on being a team trying to compete. If you thi k they are giving Luke Hughes for a guy WHO could say I'm out you're sniffing glue! The PR nightmare only isn't worth it! He will get a good return, but cmon.

I dont know what your team needs are, I actually asked the fanbase to try and offer up pieces! You mentioned Holtz and Mercer. I'll assume you don't know our team as well. Our GM is never gonna do that! Holtz plus, maybe but probably not. Mercer, nope. We can wait until Timo wants to sign with his buddies Nico and Jonas in FA. He has value for sure but he won't get what you think from Jersey, and that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad