Value of: SJ Timo Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Very underrated sniper, better value than Hertl IMO.

No talk of contract extension yet, and RFA after this season.

Where does he go? And if he stays, for how much?
He most likely won't go anywhere. Likely a long term deal in the 8-8.5M range depending how his season goes.

If he is being shopped it will cost a lot. He wouldn't get as much as Tkachuk just got, but it would be comparable given their age/physicality/skill level. Just like Tkachuk, Timo also has a high qualifying offer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He most likely won't go anywhere. Likely a long term deal in the 8-8.5M range depending how his season goes.

If he is being shopped it will cost a lot. He wouldn't get as much as Tkachuk just got, but it would be comparable given their age/physicality/skill level. Just like Tkachuk, Timo also has a high qualifying offer.
I’d love Meier next to zegras…. But unfortunately the price from Anaheim perspective will be too much.

Hoping mctavish can turn into a similar style player

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Timo pretty much dictates where he goes at this point as long as he has another season like the one he just had.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
New Jersey would offer a pretty hefty package to acquire Meier.
Yup . No clue what a fair offer is . Only way he is moved though is if he tries to walk himself to UFA and / or says he does not want to stay in SJ.
If I had to guess , he stays in SJ unless Sharks don’t want to spend that kind of $$ he deserves. Unlikely that happens .

Offer from NJ ? Holtz plus plus plus .
I don’t know what SJ would prefer in return. Futures or established players or ?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yup . No clue what a fair offer is . Only way he is moved though is if he tries to walk himself to UFA and / or says he does not want to stay in SJ.
If I had to guess , he stays in SJ unless Sharks don’t want to spend that kind of $$ he deserves. Unlikely that happens .

Offer from NJ ? Holtz plus plus plus .
I don’t know what SJ would prefer in return. Futures or established players or ?

Yeah, I'd offer this for Meier:

Holtz + Top 10 protected 2023 1st + Nolan Foote

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A lot. A LOT.

He’s a 220 pound tank in his prime who scored 35 goals and at a PPG pace while shooting only 10%. Only 18 of those points came on the PP and he had 8 GWG.

He did this. On the Sharks. So while I would normally temper statistical output from 21-22 with the caution that it was the highest scoring year in a quarter century and everybody and their uncle had career output - what he did on that team to carry the offense was simply put…remarkable.

I can only imagine the kind of hoopla he would have if he were on a better/more followed team.

98-F167-BD-F80-D-4-E49-BC35-E7-D1-BBFCAB91.jpg

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Or...

Value of Timo Meier = whatever UFA contract Steve Yzerman offers him next offseason. :sarcasm:
He's not a UFA until 2 off seasons from now at the earliest. He'll be traded or signed by then. Even if he just accepts his qualifying offer next year (which would signal he doesn't want to commit long term) the Sharks will trade him to someone who both wants his rights to offer a long term contract and has a window he fits in.

Such as New Jersey, who's fan's offers are starting with Holtz.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If the Sharks are trading Meier, they're in full blown rebuild mode (pretty close to it now but still BSing around). They'd be looking for futures. For the Devils fans in this thread asking about the price, I'd say it starts with an unprotected 2023 1st round pick. This is supposed to be a beast draft and exactly where you want to kickstart a rebuild.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Probably worth mentioning that Timo's qualifying offer will be $10M when his contract expires
This. Why would he accept anything less than 10 per with that qualifying offer grenade In existence. That's tremendous leverage potentially.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
This. Why would he accept anything less than 10 per with that qualifying offer grenade In existence. That's tremendous leverage potentially.
The Sharks or whoever he gets traded to if doesn’t want to sign with the Sharks are going to offer him an eight year deal. Plenty of people would choose say 8x9 deal worth $72 million guaranteed.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The Sharks or whoever he gets traded to if doesn’t want to sign with the Sharks are going to offer him an eight year deal. Plenty of people would choose say 8x9 deal worth $72 million guaranteed.
Or take the 10 million dollar qualifying offer and walk to ufa...I'm just saying if he wants to play hardball it could be a higher av than some anticipate/want .

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Most players won't do that. One bad injury can lose them far more money than they can gain.
Point Is he could do it , and has leverege because of it imo . San Jose of course will likely want to retain him . Starting from a 10 million dollar price point seems incredibly advantageous to me.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Point Is he could do it , and has leverege because of it imo . San Jose of course will likely want to retain him . Starting from a 10 million dollar price point seems incredibly advantageous to me.

Yes he could do it, which means it would be logical to assume any team trading for him would make sure he is either coming with an extension already signed/agreed to with the team trading for him, or that the return for Meier would be significantly less, or laden with conditional assets, without that extension signed.

Which means his QO is functionally meaningless to the team trading for him because they will be negotiating the trade with that information already known.

His QO is really only a major detriment to SJ due to the fact it could massively impact his trade value if they are not willing to let teams negotiate with him, or if Meier himself makes it known he does not want to return to SJ or sign an extension with any team, and intends to sign his QO and test free agency the next year regardless of if he is traded or not.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Should be interesting to see what the Sharks do with Meier. Easily the best return of any asset they have and a 10 mil qualifier would really handcuff the team next year cap wise. They only have about 17 million in room with 14 players signed. Of course he could sign a long term deal for less than his qualifier but if he doesn't and excepts the QO it lowers his price and restricts what teams can trade for him.

A 10 million QO pill is hard to swallow.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Probably worth mentioning that Timo's qualifying offer will be $10M when his contract expires

This isn't the boogeyman that everyone makes it out to be.

Tkachuk had a QO of 9 and he was signed and traded at 9.5 x 8 rather than be given the QO. I can't imagine Meier given a 8.5-10 x 8 contract being the end of the world long term.

QO is the worst case scenario, but even then the team can flip as a rental. Most likely the player would want to consider a long term extension over the QO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille